Options

Beijing and Shanghai

Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
edited June 21, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I took my D300 with me on a business trip to China last week.I only took my 35-70 f/2.8 lens with me and I'm realizing that this lens is just not that sharp wide-open. Unfortunately, many of these were shot in the twilight so I had high ISOs and needed to be wide-open as well. In hind-sight, I probably should have stopped down a bit and lived with a little more noise (or get a VR lens :D)

Street photography is way out of my comfort zone but I wanted to try it. I started in Beijing and found myself shooting very quickly from hips trying to not attract any attention.

#1 Walking to the subway in Beijing and this boy coming home from school caught my eye.
903975176_uQEpj-XL.jpg

#2 My colleague had never been to China and we had a few free hours so we went to Tienanmen Square . From my first trip to China being besieged on the Great Wall by souvenir hawkers, I've always thought for a communist country, China is really good at capitalism. This is a little food cart in the center of Tienanmen Square.
903975298_An4XE-XL.jpg

When I got to Shanghai, I wanted to be more "open" about taking photos of people so my approach was to get someone's attention and raise my camera and smile. Some shook their heads no but most agreed.

#3 I was getting some shots of a street vendor nearby and this guy actually asked me to take his photo.
903975692_zPPuw-XL.jpg

#4 A guard for one of the residential buildings
903975943_DCwU3-XL.jpg

#5 She was sitting on a stool at a very busy corner. Just enjoying the "fresh" air I guess. I really like this one but it is very soft.
903975995_6Qk3w-XL.jpg

#6 Up to this point, I had been taking shots of older folks so I wanted to get one of the younger generation. This guy worked in one of the little street food stalls.
903976057_SD4F2-XL.jpg

#7 A street cleaner resting on his trike.
903975501_XAEnk-XL.jpg

These last two are from the World Expo being held in Shanghai.

903975370_y7zJ8-XL.jpg

903975475_sHmmH-XL.jpg

Any feedback or advise would be appreciated.
Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
www.mikejulianaphotography.com
Facebook

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Mike J wrote: »
    I took my D300 with me on a business trip to China last week.I only took my 35-70 f/2.8 lens with me and I'm realizing that this lens is just not that sharp wide-open. Unfortunately, many of these were shot in the twilight so I had high ISOs and needed to be wide-open as well. In hind-sight, I probably should have stopped down a bit and lived with a little more noise (or get a VR lens :D)

Street photography is way out of my comfort zone but I wanted to try it. I started in Beijing and found myself shooting very quickly from hips trying to not attract any attention.

Hey, this is my territory! :rambo Just kidding. Very nice shots. clap.gif

Your comments on high ISO and shooting wide open are so true. In my experience, fast primes are the way to go when shooting street in Shanghai. Beijing is definitely brighter in the open areas such as Tienanmen or other major tourist sites, but even then there are deep shadows with interesting stuff hidden within.

I like your "Street Portraits" and I know that I relish the interactions that often lead to taking them. Such warm and fun-spirited moments. Next time your here, drop me a PM.
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2010
    Thanks for the offer. Next time I'm ever I'll definitely drop you a note. What prime do you use when you are shooting?
    Mike J

Facebook
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 20, 2010
    fantastic shots all but #s 5, 6 & 7 are my favorites - softness be damned, they're iconic images. well done thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2010
    Angelo wrote: »
    fantastic shots all but #s 5, 6 & 7 are my favorites - softness be damned, they're iconic images. well done thumb.gif
    Thanks Angelo.
    Mike J

Facebook