untitled June 12-10

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited June 21, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I really felt compelled to capture this young boy at a fundraiser in a park a few weeks ago but it doesn't seem to do much for others. Does it work for anyone else? :dunno

883136651_NQQgN-L.jpg
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    I'm getting a flickr "This photo is currently unavailable" message.
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    Thanks. I've fixed it.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2010
    maybe ne_nau.gif

crop much tighter especially from the right and add some contrast, JMVHO :D
    edited June 20, 2010
    Thanks Benjamin. Looks like it's unanimous. This ain't sayin' nuthin' to nobody.

patti hinton photography
  • FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    Patti: Don't give up so fast. The following is my complete assessment of the shot - I can give some ideas but am unable to do the work because I STINK at Photoshop. Here goes. The COMPLETE background must be blurred beyond recognition. Then some cropping so that when viewed one's eye goes directly to the FANTASTIC facial expression of the girl and nowhere else. IMO the weakness of this shot is that the viewer's eye tends to wander and loose the girl's expression.
    BTW do you have any other shots in this group?
    ED
    edited June 20, 2010
    Flowerman wrote: »
    Patti: Don't give up so fast. The following is my complete assessment of the shot - I can give some ideas but am unable to do the work because I STINK at Photoshop. Here goes. The COMPLETE background must be blurred beyond recognition. Then some cropping so that when viewed one's eye goes directly to the FANTASTIC facial expression of the girl and nowhere else. IMO the weakness of this shot is that the viewer's eye tends to wander and loose the girl's expression.
    BTW do you have any other shots in this group?
    ED

Thanks Ed. My old kit lens doesn't do bokeh and at high noon I was stopped down for sun control rolleyes1.gif One of the many aspects I need to get a handle on is when to include the context and when to leave most of it out. I thought about cropping in on this young boy but thought it would go from Street to portrait if I did so.
    Here is another from the drumming event. Unfortunately the boy is not sharp but the crowd is. Laughing.gif

War%20Child%201.jpg

patti hinton photography
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    Patti, I like the original photo. The sign, the tee-shirt, and the child's expression tell the story. I even like the shadow across his face. Ido wish that there were an actual drum in the photo.

I personally wouldn't blur the background. In fact, I'd like to see more of it to get a better feel for the context. Of course, it doesn't have to be in sharp focus either!

You might want to burn in the bright shirts to the right and left a bit to keep the viewer focussed on the subject.

Or maybe crop a bit more and let it stand as a candid portrait.

Bottom line, to me it isn't a tosser.

Virginia

Email
    edited June 20, 2010
    Patti: This is also a great one - those eyes - how do you always capture the moment - great work. With this one a slight crop off the top, down to the drummer's cap eliminates all of the distration and it still is Street not portrait - just look at the crowd.
    I am enjoying these mainly because IMHO they tell the story immediately - I don't have to do much thnking - these kids are "precious".
    ED
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2010
    REally like your original shot Patti.
    Those eyes--what a solemn look.
    Great capture.clap.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited June 20, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    Patti, I like the original photo. The sign, the tee-shirt, and the child's expression tell the story. I even like the shadow across his face. Ido wish that there were an actual drum in the photo.

I personally wouldn't blur the background. In fact, I'd like to see more of it to get a better feel for the context. Of course, it doesn't have to be in sharp focus either!

You might want to burn in the bright shirts to the right and left a bit to keep the viewer focussed on the subject.

Or maybe crop a bit more and let it stand as a candid portrait.

Bottom line, to me it isn't a tosser.

Virginia

I too wished he or someone in the frame had a drum. I followed him around for as long as I could to get a decent shot. Thanks for the advice about the other white shirts in the shot.

patti hinton photography
    edited June 20, 2010
    Patti: This is also a great one - those eyes - how do you always capture the moment - great work. With this one a slight crop off the top, down to the drummer's cap eliminates all of the distration and it still is Street not portrait - just look at the crowd.
    I am enjoying these mainly because IMHO they tell the story immediately - I don't have to do much thnking - these kids are "precious".
    ED

Thanks Ed. I wish he'd been a bit sharper. His expression really conveyed a feeling of wariness and hyper vigilance that I'm sure the children in Darfur must have to live with constantly.
    Here's your suggested crop. I think I prefer to see the smiling faces of the people in the background to contrast with the boy's serious expression. Thoughts?

907935162_aP4VN-L.jpg

patti hinton photography
    edited June 20, 2010
    REally like your original shot Patti.
    Those eyes--what a solemn look.
    Great capture.clap.gif

Thanks Liz!

patti hinton photography
    edited June 21, 2010
    Patti: IMO the shot is great as cropped. There is so much that can be read into the boy's eyes and facial expression - now it is such a universal picture it need not be confined to the "third" world - southern areas of the USA could also be a location. I know we photographers have to follow the dictum of a least sharp eyes in a photo - but as you know rules are meant to be broken - because this shot has a small blur on the face adds to its mood - IMO.
    ED
    edited June 21, 2010
    Patti: IMO the shot is great as cropped. There is so much that can be read into the boy's eyes and facial expression - now it is such a universal picture it need not be confined to the "third" world - southern areas of the USA could also be a location. I know we photographers have to follow the dictum of a least sharp eyes in a photo - but as you know rules are meant to be broken - because this shot has a small blur on the face adds to its mood - IMO.
    ED

Thanks Ed! I'd like to say I broke the cardinal rule on purpose for artistic reasons but alas, I cannot rolleyes1.gif

patti hinton photography