Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2014
    For Fernando Gonzalez
    You have a misprint on your site!

"After the event I go through everything and pick out the very best photos. I then adjust all of them to make sure they look their best and post the finished photos to a private on-line gallery for your to review and share."

"your" should be "you"!
  • southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2014
    jerryr wrote: »
    Here is a customization worth noting. Jaki Good Miller from Ohio / West Virginia specializes in Seniors, Weddings, Portraits and Fine Art. She has four different themes with special navigation for each theme, client login and even specialty designed pages (check out the 411 style guide). Her art is amazing !

Check it out :

Jaki Good Miller

Wow! Very talented photographer! Nice site Love the video presentations! So creative!
  • CharlyCharly Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2014
    Well it's nearly the way I want it though have more images to add and probably tweak the Galleries look. But would love to hear your "honest" opinions so far. I'm going for a very clean, minimal, sleek look. :):

www.ImagerybyCharly.com
    www.ImagerybyCharly.com | Serving the DFW area of Texas and beyond
  • captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2014
    SmugMug rolled out the full screen slideshow last week. Under customize and design, there is a new tab called background. You can implement it there.

Thanks for pointing that out, I was missing my full screen slideshow, glad to be able to put it back :)clap.gif

http://captnemo.smugmug.com/
  • Dupont24Dupont24 Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2014
    Love the new designs, great job people. Easy to use...thumb.gif
    :clap Canon 40D and Canon 7D
    Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS EF USM, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS EF-S (USM), Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM, Canon 50mm 1.8, and Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Bounce

dome.http://moreno24.smugmug.com/
  • Traces of TexasTraces of Texas Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2014
    Here is a link to my galleries page. I'm not very knowledgeable re: html, css etc... so it's pretty much out of the package. I think it looks better than it previously did.

http://tracesoftexas.smugmug.com/Images-of-Texas

Any help/criticism would be very much appreciated.
  • macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2014
    Here is a link to my galleries page. I'm not very knowledgeable re: html, css etc... so it's pretty much out of the package. I think it looks better than it previously did.

http://tracesoftexas.smugmug.com/Images-of-Texas

Any help/criticism would be very much appreciated.

Very good images - I really liked viewing them, and thought they were a good reflection of the state. The only thing I didn't like was the over-large watermark on the images.

The site itself is fine. Nice and simply laid out. The dark background shows up the colour very well (I recently changed mine from white to dark for that reason). I think some info about you would be good to make it more friendly and approachable. Doesn't need much, just a few bio details and what your intention is with the images.

I love the made up words such as Texpressionism - I do that a lot.

Good job, well done!
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
    edited January 8, 2014
    Very good images - I really liked viewing them, and thought they were a good reflection of the state. The only thing I didn't like was the over-large watermark on the images.

The site itself is fine. Nice and simply laid out. The dark background shows up the colour very well (I recently changed mine from white to dark for that reason). I think some info about you would be good to make it more friendly and approachable. Doesn't need much, just a few bio details and what your intention is with the images.

I love the made up words such as Texpressionism - I do that a lot.

Good job, well done!

Yes, I really enjoyed browsing these, especially the people, I'd echo that the watermark is a little too large and distracting especially on the ones that appear to have been pre watermarked? Something about the size of what you'd used in those would be good but combined with the larger smugmug applied one my eye is immediatly drawn there instead of the subject. For the site itself simple seems to work well as it doesn't distract from the images. A small logo where the title is wouldn't hurt but give it some thought you'll want something you can stick with for awhile.
    p.s why can't bison go in the vineyard ;)?
  • danilewdanilew Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2014
    My customization was done by SmugMug Customization guru jRCustomization.com and I love it.

www.danilew.com
    Thank you,

DaniLew
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited January 8, 2014
    danilew wrote: »
    Your site has a nice look to it.

Are you aware that clicking your Portfolio link when your blog is displayed takes the viewer to a "not found" page? You should probably correct the link.

--- Denise
  • danilewdanilew Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2014
    Your site has a nice look to it.

Are you aware that clicking your Portfolio link when your blog is displayed takes the viewer to a "not found" page? You should probably correct the link.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise. Yes I am aware that clicking on Portfolio from Blog is going to an incorrect link - strangely if you go from Home or Galleries to Portfolio the link is correct. I think I'll move "Blog" to the end where the other wordpress pages are...

thanks again for looking!

EDIT: I found out how to fix it; it was wrong in WordPress
    Thank you,

DaniLew
  • tomoscotttomoscott Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2014
    I've just about got mine ready to go
    www.tomoscott.com - any comments and/or questions welcome. Not a whole lot of customization. I mainly focused on getting a site going as quickly as possible.
    Actually, I did customize a newsletter signup form on each of the gallery pages, with a link to it at the top of the page, and an incentive to sign up.
    The form goes to a url on another server. The php on that server simply parses the POST variables and emails them to me.
    edited January 14, 2014
    tomoscott wrote: »
    www.tomoscott.com - any comments and/or questions welcome. Not a whole lot of customization.

Well, I've been experimenting a bit. My primary domain is www.tomoscott.com. I also bought tomoscott.net. I added a little function in php to tomoscott.net, and it handles the POST output from my newsletter signup form, which is on all my galleries. I also added a tag at the top of the page to motivate visitors to click on it and get to the signup form at the bottom of the page.

I'm not really thrilled with the search page, so I also made a custom search form which allows the user to enter general subject, location, format, genre, hues, etc. This form also goes to my tomoscott.net site, where a small php function sanitizes the POST variables and constructs a search URL which is then sent back to SmugMug.

I also replaced the main menu with my own, so that I could control the links better and also put social navigation links in the menu, rather than taking up space on the page.

I held off on doing anything with the api, since it appeared to me from reading the forums that it's not quite done yet.
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2014
    Well, I've been experimenting a bit. My primary domain is www.tomoscott.com. I also bought tomoscott.net. I added a little function in php to tomoscott.net, and it handles the POST output from my newsletter signup form, which is on all my galleries. I also added a tag at the top of the page to motivate visitors to click on it and get to the signup form at the bottom of the page.

I'm not really thrilled with the search page, so I also made a custom search form which allows the user to enter general subject, location, format, genre, hues, etc. This form also goes to my tomoscott.net site, where a small php function sanitizes the POST variables and constructs a search URL which is then sent back to SmugMug.

I also replaced the main menu with my own, so that I could control the links better and also put social navigation links in the menu, rather than taking up space on the page.

I held off on doing anything with the api, since it appeared to me from reading the forums that it's not quite done yet.

Your images continue to be so delicious. :)
    FYI, your top nav menu is not centered under your name.
    It's almost like there's a forced large left margin to that block?
    edited January 15, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »

Looks centered on my comp. What browser are you using?
    edited January 15, 2014
    captnemo wrote: »
    It's not centered for me either. I don't think it's a browser issue, seems to be a browser sizing issue. As I resize the browser the position of the logo relative to the menu bar changes.

I see this behavior in Firefox, Chrome, and IE11.

--- Denise
    edited January 15, 2014
    It's not centered for me either. I don't think it's a browser issue, seems to be a browser sizing issue. As I resize the browser the position of the logo relative to the menu bar changes.

I see this behavior in Firefox, Chrome, and IE11.

--- Denise
    Yep , thats it- I was viewing full screen as soon as I re-sized the browser it went off center.
    edited January 15, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    captnemo wrote: »

Hey everyone, thanks so much for letting me know about the centering. I made my own custom menu, so I'll fix that as soon as possible. Let me know if you see anything else wrong.
    edited January 15, 2014
    Denise --
    By the way, I love your photos from your trips to Acadia. Beautiful work. And I like that you're a cyclist; so am I!
    edited January 15, 2014
    Denise --
    By the way, I love your photos from your trips to Acadia. Beautiful work. And I like that you're a cyclist; so am I!
    Thank you!

--- Denise
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2014
    Changed site!
    I had a Legacy SM site.. went to a Wordpress site to try something new and now that the changes have come to SM and I took a look at them, I am very impressed!

It took me a few days and some playing around (about 3 weeks actually) I have finally fixed up the site, gave it a new name, spruced it up with a new theme and voila!

www.prismaticimagery.com

I would love to hear any input for improvements if you have them, I like the simple, clean, easy to use look this gives my fan base.

A big shout out to Denise and Hike'n'Mike for help during my transition.

Lee
    Lee Wiren
    edited January 16, 2014
    Wiren wrote: »
    www.prismaticimagery.com

I would love to hear any input for improvements if you have them, I like the simple, clean, easy to use look this gives my fan base.
    Lee

Good job, Wiren. I like minimalist sites.
    Couple of points. . .

• When you click on "Imagery" from your home page, you go to another page that shows Folders. Then you have to click another time to get to the galleries page, then a third time to see the gallery. I would make that easier for the user by eliminating one of those clicks, or both of them (dropdown menu).
    • You don't seem to use keywords. A lot of times, I get interior designers who are looking for a particular hue or theme. A keyword based search of your images makes that much easier.
    • Some of your images don't have titles; others do. In my experience, it's good to title your images, in case there is a question about one of them.
    • Some of the images have a caption "Property of Prismatic Imagery". I'm not sure what this means. If you mean copyright, then I would just say that, or better yet, use the © sign.
    Curious -- #18 in your landscape gallery, is that Pistol River beach?
    edited January 16, 2014
    Good job, Wiren. I like minimalist sites.
    Couple of points. . .

• When you click on "Imagery" from your home page, you go to another page that shows Folders. Then you have to click another time to get to the galleries page, then a third time to see the gallery. I would make that easier for the user by eliminating one of those clicks, or both of them (dropdown menu).
    • You don't seem to use keywords. A lot of times, I get interior designers who are looking for a particular hue or theme. A keyword based search of your images makes that much easier.
    • Some of your images don't have titles; others do. In my experience, it's good to title your images, in case there is a question about one of them.
    • Some of the images have a caption "Property of Prismatic Imagery". I'm not sure what this means. If you mean copyright, then I would just say that, or better yet, use the © sign.
    Curious -- #18 in your landscape gallery, is that Pistol River beach?

Thank you Tom and keen observations. To start, no, #18 is not Pistol River Beach, it's actually Canon Beach, OR - these stacks are next to Haystack Rock.

I would love to create more simplicity for getting into the galleries, I just haven't figured it out yet and will need to look into that. Some images have names as I actually took the time to set metadata in LR and need to do that for all of them. The statement "Property of Prismatic Imagery" is my statement of copyright... I can make it similarly clear by using the copyright symbol, but "Property of" pretty much spells it out.....

I appreciate your thoughts, I have been thinking the same things, just excited to unveil after a few weeks of wrestling with DNS settings and cname issues.

Lee
    Lee Wiren
    edited January 16, 2014
    Thank you Tom and keen observations. To start, no, #18 is not Pistol River Beach, it's actually Canon Beach, OR - these stacks are next to Haystack Rock.

The statement "Property of Prismatic Imagery" is my statement of copyright... I can make it similarly clear by using the copyright symbol, but "Property of" pretty much spells it out.....

Lee, actually, the © symbol will give you more protection, especially in foreign countries. In the U.S., your work is automatically copyrighted when you create it, but in many foreign countries, you must use the symbol and the date for the work to be properly copyrighted.
    edited January 16, 2014
    I would love to create more simplicity for getting into the galleries, I just haven't figured it out yet and will need to look into that.
    Lee -
    You might consider creating a page for entry to your galleries instead of using the built-in /browse. Browse is still there, it's just not linked from your menu.

If you want to see an example of this, take a look at my site. The "gallery" entry from my menu is a page where I placed top level folders. Clicking on an entry takes the viewer directly to the next level - in my case to a folder. But it could just as easily opened a series of galleries or a combination of folders and galleries.

--- Denise
    edited January 16, 2014
    Lee -
    You might consider creating a page for entry to your galleries instead of using the built-in /browse. Browse is still there, it's just not linked from your menu.

If you want to see an example of this, take a look at my site. The "gallery" entry from my menu is a page where I placed top level folders. Clicking on an entry takes the viewer directly to the next level - in my case to a folder. But it could just as easily opened a series of galleries or a combination of folders and galleries.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise, i'll look into that - it's certainly a change I want to make as I have not been liking the extra clicks just to get to the galleries... All but the people one should just open right up to the gallery in one click.

Tom, very good point and I appreciate the advice - I will work on replacing each shot with keywords and the © symbol including date/time photo was taken so that I am protected and that it is easier for keyword searches of my imagery.

Lee
    Lee Wiren
    edited January 17, 2014
    Ok Denise and Tom... I have tried to make some changes to the NavBar menu and organize my photo's so that when you hit Portfolio, you see the available galleries and then hitting a certain gallery will take you straight to images.... I did leave things like my Wagon Train & Client albums in folders as there are several galleries for each of those and I didn't want all of those galleries littering the main gallery screen..... does it look better? Is there a way to make it better, (cleaner) ? I will also need to add in password locks on my family galleries.... I think I broke some of those when I was moving stuff around.....

Tom, I am in the process of going through every image in Lightroom, adding keywords, geo location, image name and the statment ©Property of Prismatic Imagery 20xx..... I plan to replace the images on my site when that painstaking chore is done.

Is there anything else you can see on the site that would make things cleaner, easier for client/visitor use that could use improving? I certainly don't want to have the issue of making it so minimalist that I didn't put something necessary on the site.....

Thanks for the input and advice, I certainly appreciate it.

Lee Wiren
    www.prismaticimagery.com
    Lee Wiren
    edited January 18, 2014
    Lee - much better!

You mentioned that you were adding "©Property of Prismatic Imagery 20xx". Actually, the format expected is "© 2014 Prismatic Imagery" . That's all you need to do. And many foreign countries expect the copyright symbol, followed by the year, in order to be valid.

By the way, you can now check pretty easily if your images are being stolen and put on the web. Just go to Google Image Search and drag your image into the box. In a second or two, you'll see every place on the web where that image was found. It's amazingly accurate, too. I used it for a panorama of the San Diego skyline, and it gave me two sites that were using that image without permission. And there are about 1,500 images of the San Diego skyline on the web.

Your contact form has some stuff on the left that isn't formatted correctly, and it cuts off the text.

If you're going to do keywords, I would add a Search page somewhere on your site. It makes it much easier for customers to find an image they might be looking for.
    edited January 18, 2014
    Lee - much better!

You mentioned that you were adding "©Property of Prismatic Imagery 20xx". Actually, the format expected is "© 2014 Prismatic Imagery" . That's all you need to do. And many foreign countries expect the copyright symbol, followed by the year, in order to be valid.

By the way, you can now check pretty easily if your images are being stolen and put on the web. Just go to Google Image Search and drag your image into the box. In a second or two, you'll see every place on the web where that image was found. It's amazingly accurate, too. I used it for a panorama of the San Diego skyline, and it gave me two sites that were using that image without permission. And there are about 1,500 images of the San Diego skyline on the web.

Your contact form has some stuff on the left that isn't formatted correctly, and it cuts off the text.

If you're going to do keywords, I would add a Search page somewhere on your site. It makes it much easier for customers to find an image they might be looking for.

Wow, I did not know that about google search.... that'll be fun (when I have some time), thanks!

I appreciate the tip on the proper use of the © statement and what you see in the contact form.... I do plan to add a search box to my Nav Bar when i'm done tagging keywords, the big chore after all landscapes are done will be to tag my Wagon Train photos.... I can see that group and my family wanting to use key word search more than anybody else.

Appreciate the input!
    Lee Wiren
  • pekrpekr Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2014
    2zone studio ...
    Hi,

well, this thread suggests to post some customisation attempts, but then I can read also many technical tricks & tips posts. Hopefully you will not mind me posting our achievement.

Our site is not much different from the template we used. But - I still love it. I love Smugmug. I also got another two friend photographers to use it.

Our site is: http://studio.2zone.cz

Maybe the only technical tricks are:

- getting FB like to work on main site
    - in the Cenik (pricelist) section, you can see bullets. Those are aligned to the right bottom of the photo. The trick was to add row beneath the photo and using -xyz of pixels negative offset for the corresponding html content (bullets)

As for photos - well, we are just happy amateurs, so - be nice! :-)

Best regards,
    Petr Krenzelok
    2zone studio