#94 Angles and Shapes Idea

fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
edited January 23, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, I have always struggled with architecture, but it seems like a good fit for this challenge. I have a couple ideas in mind and will start with this one. Please do let me know what you think and I will add some additional images over the weekend.

Thanks, Jim

For this image I am trying to make the distortion of the building work with the artwork.

i-BVmtsKR-L.jpg

Comments

• JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    What building? :D I love the artwork... the building just looks like an after thought, to me, mmmm ... like it's just there to complement the artwork. I think the artwork would be great just by itself. :)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    Thanks Jen for your thoughts. I may have misstated my intention. I certainly want the artwork to be the sole subject. In the original image, the building and tree to the right is much more pronounced and I purposely subdued it. But rather than make any corrections I liked the way the lines of the artwork and building are almost parallel. I think I may look at cropping out more of the building.
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    I do like the way the building lights complement the angles of the sculpture - all around it. I also like the blue trees, but think maybe the whole shot should be straightened so those trees give you the horizon line.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
    edited January 20, 2012
    Thanks Lilian, that is a good catch. When I looked at this initially, I was worried that doing that would tilt the building line too much, but now that I have done it I think it is interesting. Here it is:

i-BVmtsKR-L.jpg
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    Very nice! I really like this. thumb.gif
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited January 20, 2012
    Great idea and execution!
  • NelsonKNelsonK Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2012
    Great shot! Love the colors and lines.
    edited January 21, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like with all the rain my other ideas will have to be on hold. I think I might enter this one.
    edited January 23, 2012
    Hi Everyone,
    I decided to modify this just a little and would like to know what you think. I thought I would crop out the bushes on the right and tighten up the comp. I am putting both images here. Pls let me know which is better?

i-cKV6VqK-L.jpg

i-BVmtsKR-L.jpg

Thanks, Jim
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    The crop looks good. The trees on bottom and right would bother me. Good job, nice shape and colors.
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    The crop is definitely better. Well done!
    edited January 23, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. as a final refinement, I removed the red reflection in the building glass.
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    fjcvisual wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. as a final refinement, I removed the red reflection in the building glass.

I like the new edit... and I was gonna suggest that you fix that red spot. thumb.gif
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    I like it but I would prefer the background totally black
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com