Next wave of iPhone weddings...

mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited September 14, 2012 in Weddings

Comments

• insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2012
    I wish this apple cult would just go away.
  • mjoshi123mjoshi123 Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2012
    insanefred wrote: »

I wish same but I dont think it is only about Apple, it is about shrinking device sizes as technology expands. Film SLR people were telling same thing when first DSLR came out, why we need DSRL when we got film and now see Kodak is bankrupt and there are few handful of companies making film SLRs. Change is imminent, we accept it or not.
  • hectorjrhectorjr Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 12, 2012
    I still have one foot leading towards the "old fashioned", DSLR is king ideology, whilst the the other foot is leaning towards a smaller, more back-friendly evolution of professional photography equipment.

My guess is that it will inevitable arrive one day. The OM-D is probably one of the signs that we are heading in that direction, but it isn't there just yet.

The mentality of clients will have to change too. A lot of clients are still expecting photographers to use heavy and expensive equipment to take their photos, thinking it will yield to better pictures, although this is not entirely the case.

I am looking for a prophet, a respected pro who shoots ALL of his work using smaller cameras (not necessarily mobile phones, but EVILs are a good place to start) and actually sells them.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012

:nah It's not about "Apple Cult" it's about showing that you can make great photographs with almost any camera if you apply your craft well.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    :nah It's not about "Apple Cult" it's about showing that you can make great photographs with almost any camera if you apply your craft well.

I looked at the images...and as far as I'm concerned...some are nice...but there are a bunch that are soft...

And, Everything looks nice in a 2.5 inch square image...any issues will be magnified as you get larger.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    I looked at the images...and as far as I'm concerned...some are nice...but there are a bunch that are soft...

And, Everything looks nice in a 2.5 inch square image...any issues will be magnified as you get larger.

They are on an iphone. thumb.gif Ghionis said at the end of his blog post that he wouldn't dare use an iphone to photograph an entire wedding of a paying client. He wanted to experiment AND show his students that it isn't all about gear.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012

Here's a wedding with a bunch of images I shot on my Android phone... (And some D300 images here and there)

=Matt=

http://matthewsaville.com/blog/2010/10/07/cell-phone-wedding-photos/
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2012
    thumb.gif
  • mjordanphotomjordanphoto Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2012

That's exactly it. Thanks for taking the words out of my mouth, Andy! :D
  • wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2012
    we cant tell the future we can guess but from the past we can see things have developed from film to digital but the basic design hasnt changed. so the SLR/DSLR design is still with us and i can see that it will be here for sometime yet
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    If their check goes through
    If their checks go through, what does it matter what you shoot with? :P It's interesting if they really did hire these photographers with the intent of only using an iPhone, that's bold. If a couple had commissioned me to do the same, I'd do it, why not? But they cannot expect the invoice to be discounted just because I'm using a camera-phone to do it all. I think its great even camera phones can do more than they used to; but I think when people commission a firm to document their wedding, they're more concerned with trusting the talent, much less their gear.
  • JDubJDub Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2012
    pretty damn amazing if I do say so myself. wowzers!!
    Josh Westbrook
    ---
    Atlanta, GA
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2012
    While it proves that any tool can be utilized in the hands of the experienced, but why?
    I can appreciate the principle behind it, but I don't know why it would be a logical choice. Maybe if somehow, the photog lost all of his/her gear and could only resort to an iPhone/smartphone?

On a side note,
    The Nokia Lumia 920 is supposed to have Image Stabilization!
    IS on a smartphone! Who would've imagined?
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2012
    Hahaha, I hear ya. I'm gonna guess that this whole iphoneography fad has a lot less to do with "making use of limited equipment" and a lot more with the Apple brand.

Another problem... phone photos might look decent on a computer, but they look AWFUL in print. GUP (my fave photo magazine) did a series of Iphone shots at about 6"x6" and that was already pushing it.

Sure, you can use a cell phone as a hammer, but.... why would you want to? :X

Also! Apple is gonna cash in and build an Apple camera next year. I'm calling it now :D
  • karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2012
    Well I guess its keeping up with the times.. Not my thing
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2012

Exactly. Love shooting with my Droid Razr/Instagram almost more than with my 5DMkII. Simplicity rocks!