Full set - small town wedding

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited October 9, 2012 in Weddings
well this is a large post, but narrowed down any further it wouldn't have been the whole "story".

the last one is from my previous post but cropped as suggested. I do like it better that way. thanks for looking :)

i-R3ZrtnG-L.jpg

i-jxsVk2j-L.jpg

i-pWwgxsW-L.jpg

i-9KQ5fZX-L.jpg

i-pVV7jxG-L.jpg

i-VhC8r2H-L.jpg

i-BMGSQJG-L.jpg

i-BfNrhqh-L.jpg

i-8HkP3S5-L.jpg

i-mHTGcsZ-L.jpg

i-VkgrKjs-L.jpg

i-wsrh56D-L.jpg

i-ZC5ZMQ3-L.jpg

i-sW6Pjjr-L.jpg

i-7nWZmfk-L.jpg

i-H36Rk7C-L.jpg

i-vcq8LNX-L.jpg

i-fJ6Qcfx-L.jpg

i-7F75qW4-L.jpg

i-gbrH7Z4-L.jpg

i-pKRbwtJ-L.jpg

i-PMxQTM5-L.jpg

i-LDZ3W5q-L.jpg

i-DXNtcJm-L.jpg

i-TmhmxSX-L.jpg

i-tDtQZww-L.jpg

i-4CZ7Mt7-L.jpg

i-LcDMbbM-L.jpg

i-WRLGKJ6-L.jpg

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2012
    I love the images, and I love the overall colors and processing, however I think the clarity is un-flattering. That is the one setting (presuming you're using LR4) that I would drop down. Way too much wrinkle/blemish-enhancing clarity.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    I love the images, and I love the overall colors and processing, however I think the clarity is un-flattering. That is the one setting (presuming you're using LR4) that I would drop down. Way too much wrinkle/blemish-enhancing clarity.

=Matt=

Thanks Matthew.. I did up the clarity more than i normally do on this set. Which ones particular do you think are unflattering? I definitely appreciate your input, and i don't necessarily disagree with you but I'm just not seeing how its unflattering.. but i've been looking at this for a while so i'm probably overlooking the small stuff!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    are you kidding me? This is like your 1st wedding and this looks like you have been doing it for 10 years!! outstanding..6 and 7 just KILL!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    Qarik wrote: »
    are you kidding me? This is like your 1st wedding and this looks like you have been doing it for 10 years!! outstanding..6 and 7 just KILL!

[um is there a blushing smiley??]

why thank you, sir... 2nd wedding actually :)

7 was one of my favorites.. I knew it would be before I even got in position for it.
    oh 2nd wedding! that changes everything..you're an old hat! by the way the too much clarity (I think) is causing a wierd halo around the bride in shot #13. I also relly like 15 and 24!
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2012
    lilmomma wrote: »
    Thanks Matthew.. I did up the clarity more than i normally do on this set. Which ones particular do you think are unflattering? I definitely appreciate your input, and i don't necessarily disagree with you but I'm just not seeing how its unflattering.. but i've been looking at this for a while so i'm probably overlooking the small stuff!

6, 9, 10, 13, 14, 19, 20, 29. I would either brush a negative clarity brush over the skin areas, or selectively brush in a clarity / contrast brush over the other areas that ought to be "crisp". But those shots have un-flattering skin texture.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    meliissa, you have a link to the full set?
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    are you using vsco presets?
    Qarik wrote: »
    meliissa, you have a link to the full set?

I will post it when I get to a computer, I'm on my cell right now

holzphoto wrote: »
    are you using vsco presets?

no, these are all hand edits in LR
  • rdallandrdalland Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2012
    Personally, I would cull #25. The "gentleman" behind the groom is making an obscene gesture.
  • karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2012
    Excellently good effort for wedding number two - keep it up
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2012
    rdalland wrote: »
    Personally, I would cull #25. The "gentleman" behind the groom is making an obscene gesture.

There's one in every crowd...they think they're funny. I shot a wedding 5 of 6 years ago on the beach...and during the shots with the groom...one of the groomsmen threw a gang sign...so, I took the liberty of changing it to the peace sign. Laughing.gif...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited September 17, 2012
    rdalland wrote: »

25 is gone. didn't realize what the gesture was. sorry if I offended anyone.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2012
    26 is breath taking and deserves a special honor!! Love so many, the limo shoots, the big bare room with the 2 windows, the barn indoors. But I do agree a little skin softening in a few would go a long way. Awesome set.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • p27rpyp27rpy Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2012
    11 and 15 are fantastic. great set, although i do agree that the clarity should be lowered a bit so that blemishes aren't SO sharp on some.
    edited September 19, 2012
    thank you all. I should tone down the clarity some but let me just mention this, i did a lot of skinwork on the bride...When i get home i'll post a before and after. so I wonder if the clarity bringing out blemishes is not so much the issue as the skin in general. Although it definitely contributes.
    I didn't touch photoshop with these so my skinwork was done in LR4, and probably my most difficult case of skin yet.
  • jonathanlord31jonathanlord31 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited September 20, 2012
    Fantastic work you have done. It is unbelievable for me that it is your 2nd experience. Great work i most like 6, 11, 15, 16... Keep it up.
  • sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited September 20, 2012
    I'm floored at the quality of the work.... very impressive. Really. Really. Really. Impressive. My jaw actually dropped at #6. Wow. Creativity? Check. Amazingness all around? Double check.
    If there is one area of feedback I can contribute to, it's the group poses - the party is sitting flat on their feet on #23 and #24 - try to get them to put more weight on their back foot, and to not have their feet right next to each other. That is the only nit picky area.... I can't wait to see your next shoot. This is really incredible! Hat's off!
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2012
    Gorgeous set!!
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2012
    I absolutely love your work.
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2012
    Wowzers!!! clap.gifclapclap.gif

26 is killer! All of them are!
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2012
    edited September 24, 2012
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words!! iloveyou.gif

sphynge wrote: »
    I'm floored at the quality of the work.... very impressive. Really. Really. Really. Impressive. My jaw actually dropped at #6. Wow. Creativity? Check. Amazingness all around? Double check.
    If there is one area of feedback I can contribute to, it's the group poses - the party is sitting flat on their feet on #23 and #24 - try to get them to put more weight on their back foot, and to not have their feet right next to each other. That is the only nit picky area.... I can't wait to see your next shoot. This is really incredible! Hat's off!

sphynge- awesome tip, I will keep that in mind for the future! thanks so much!!

I absolutely love your work.

& i absolutely love yours! thank you :)

joshhuntnm wrote: »
    where was #26 shot?

We were literally in the middle of nowhere, all cornfields in carthage IL, in an abandoned barn with a huge brick silo. it was awesome.
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2012
    Wow! I am in love with your editing style! Any photoshop actions that helped mold your look?

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX

• TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    The B&W's are awesome!
    edited October 9, 2012
    dawssvt wrote: »
    Wow! I am in love with your editing style! Any photoshop actions that helped mold your look?

sorry i just saw this! thank you :)
    i don't touch photoshop ever, my computer is too slow to handle it..plus i'm way too spoiled with the ease of lightroom! these are all hand edits in LR4..just played with curves, clarity, vibrance, individual color luminosities. i think a lot of people underestimate its power!
    TGAllen wrote: »
    The B&W's are awesome!

thank you!
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    lilmomma wrote: »
    sorry i just saw this! thank you :)
    i don't touch photoshop ever, my computer is too slow to handle it..plus i'm way too spoiled with the ease of lightroom! these are all hand edits in LR4..just played with curves, clarity, vibrance, individual color luminosities. i think a lot of people underestimate its power!

How funny! I actually use LR for the majority of my post work too. I have made some custom presets that I usually stick with. Have you made presets out of your "normal look"?

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX