Options

Monarchs

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited December 4, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Monarchs return to Bay Area this time of the year. Below are my attempts......some of us like to photography them......some others have different kind of tastes for Monarchs.......:D

All criticism and kind comments heartily cherished!

1)
IMG_8902-X3.jpg

2)
IMG_8887-X3.jpg

3)
IMG_8939-X3.jpg

4)
IMG_8926-X3.jpg

5)
IMG_8942-X3.jpg

6)
IMG_8986-X3.jpg

7)
IMG_8990-X3.jpg

8)
IMG_9348-X3.jpg

9)
IMG_8056-X3.jpg

10)
IMG_8063-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,830 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2015
    WOW! These are spectacular! I think 4 & 8 are my faves but of course those with tons of monarchs are very impressive and the squirrel is pretty cute. I'm being extremely picky, but to me numbers 2 & 6 look a bit soft, almost as though they were taken through gauze (albeit very thin gauze). Was that intended? (Is is my glasses??? could be!) or were you hand-holding a long lens?

As usual, great work. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    Eldon SheaEldon Shea Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2015
    Nice set, Taz. I'm drawn to the ones with strong backlighting because the colors pop. Number 8 is my favorite. Nice composition. I also like 7 a lot. I see that you wanted to keep them very natural. I might have increased the orange a bit in 7 to make the subject stand out even more. I like the separation you achieved on that shot. 4 is nicely exposed but the twigs are a bit messy to me. As usual, great choice of subject.
    Bryan
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2015
    A spectacular sight! #1 has great energy and hold a bit of mystery: it took me a little second to realize the entire branch is covered in butterflies! And the "loner" at top right is nicely illuminated and balances the rest of the comp. I'm also digging #4. And LOVE #9 as a part of this set. I'm cracking up to see this little guy's role!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2015
    WOW! These are spectacular! I think 4 & 8 are my faves but of course those with tons of monarchs are very impressive and the squirrel is pretty cute. I'm being extremely picky, but to me numbers 2 & 6 look a bit soft, almost as though they were taken through gauze (albeit very thin gauze). Was that intended? (Is is my glasses??? could be!) or were you hand-holding a long lens?

As usual, great work. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers, Sara

Thanks kindly Sara! I can't say how much I appreciate your feedback and your eye.bowdown.gif
    I did remain soft and was trying to create the backlit hazy type shots.....thought it added slight dreaminess/artiness to it....of course these are attempts and recipe is not perfected by any means....but that was the idea. Cheers!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2015
    Eldon Shea wrote: »
    Nice set, Taz. I'm drawn to the ones with strong backlighting because the colors pop. Number 8 is my favorite. Nice composition. I also like 7 a lot. I see that you wanted to keep them very natural. I might have increased the orange a bit in 7 to make the subject stand out even more. I like the separation you achieved on that shot. 4 is nicely exposed but the twigs are a bit messy to me. As usual, great choice of subject.
    Bryan

Thanks Bryan! I appreciate the info and will absorb it and get better! It needed lot more patient to hope they land on something closer and more isolated so #4 is in "what could have been" category. I got one of them to land on backlit isolated twig all by itself with nice bokeh......BUT the wings got blown out and despite my best attempts, no recovery....Cheers!
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    A spectacular sight! #1 has great energy and hold a bit of mystery: it took me a little second to realize the entire branch is covered in butterflies! And the "loner" at top right is nicely illuminated and balances the rest of the comp. I'm also digging #4. And LOVE #9 as a part of this set. I'm cracking up to see this little guy's role!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks kindly Carter! Appreciate your feedback! wings.gif
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2015
    Fantastic

You might like to consider using a flash to offset the wide dynamic range and brighten up the foreground on some of the shots

That's not to take away from the backlit shots that show some transparency (will be lost with flash)
    Rags
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2015
    torags wrote: »
    Fantastic

You might like to consider using a flash to offset the wide dynamic range and brighten up the foreground on some of the shots

That's not to take away from the backlit shots that show some transparency (will be lost with flash)

Thanks Rags! That is a great suggestion.....didn't think of using flash....they are way up there on tress so my full wildlife gear was used.....but even if little bit of light could be picked up....it would give it different flavor. I would definitely give it a try in these kind of situations next time! Cheers!!
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks Rags! That is a great suggestion.....didn't think of using flash....they are way up there on tress so my full wildlife gear was used.....but even if little bit of light could be picked up....it would give it different flavor. I would definitely give it a try in these kind of situations next time! Cheers!!

Way up there? Great! flash at full intensity...

The closer you get the more risk of a "flash photo", I reduce intensity... works for me..
    Rags
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2015
    torags wrote: »
    Way up there? Great! flash at full intensity...

The closer you get the more risk of a "flash photo", I reduce intensity... works for me..

It is an experiment that I do want to carry out just to see what happens! If light does get there, it will help solve the issue of not blowing out bright part while trying to expose for shadowy part. Cheers Rags!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited December 1, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Monarchs return to Bay Area this time of the year. Below are my attempts......some of us like to photography them......some others have different kind of tastes for Monarchs.......:D

1)

IMG_8902-250x250.jpg

8)

IMG_9348-250x250.jpg
    Wow! What an amazing sight, I'm glad you had a chance to share the butterflies with us.

#1 and 8 are my favorites.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2015
    Wow! What an amazing sight, I'm glad you had a chance to share the butterflies with us.

#1 and 8 are my favorites.

--- Denise

Thanks kindly Denise!!wings.gifbow
  • Options
    The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2015
    #3 and #8 for me. I like the separation, nice catch. Altho the whole set is good. Thanks for sharing!
    ____Motoception Photography____
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    edited December 1, 2015
    #3 and #8 for me. I like the separation, nice catch. Altho the whole set is good. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Destroyer!! Means much!
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2015
    Well done, Taz. I agree with Sara that 4 and 8 are just absolutely fabulous. For the "crowd" shots I favor #1.

Great work!

Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited December 2, 2015
    Well done, Taz. I agree with Sara that 4 and 8 are just absolutely fabulous. For the "crowd" shots I favor #1.

Great work!

Wayne

Thank you Wayne! You rock brother!
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2015
    Wonderful set Taz! I went to see the monarchs early this year in Mexico and was disappointed because I couldn't get close enough. Great job!
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    Wonderful set Taz! I went to see the monarchs early this year in Mexico and was disappointed because I couldn't get close enough. Great job!

Thanks kindly Cristobal! I hope you find a swarm somewhere! Needs lot of hours to get something wonderful as out of maybe 500 shots....this is what I got!:D
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,744 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2015
    Wow, great series of pictures thumb.gif
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2015
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2015
    GSPeP wrote: »
    Wow, great series of pictures thumb.gif
    Cavalier wrote: »
    As usual and of course - 15524779-Ti.gif

Thanks Peter and Jo! My morning is made!wings.gifbow
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2015
    Goooooood stuff!

I could have lent you my better beamer for your flash.

The butterflies are becoming endangered, not so for the squirrel. Break out the shotguns!

Sam
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Goooooood stuff!

The butterflies are becoming endangered, not so for the squirrel. Break out the shotguns!

Sam

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl
    Thanks Sam!
  • Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2015
    You can also see this in Michoacan, Méjico if you are so inclined. They must be on their way.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata