Options

Governor's Palace fireworks

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited December 19, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
DSC_6006-XL.jpg

DSC_5983-XL.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2015
    Great!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited December 8, 2015
    I love the first shot, just spectacular!

--- Denise
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2015
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Great!
    I love the first shot, just spectacular!

--- Denise
    Cavalier wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif and ......Ooooh - Aaaaah.

Thanks everyone. This was my first attempt at fireworks. Ziggy bowdown.gif gave me some pointers before the event.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2015
    #1 is Perfect! thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    #1 is Perfect! thumb.gifthumb

Phil

Thanks, Phil!

This is one more...

DSC_6025-XL.jpg

• Options
    edited December 8, 2015
    What pointers? share...
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    What pointers? share...

Hey Taz...I will be glad to share what I did. Probably not everybody's "cup of tea" so to speak...

Tripod
    Camera in M mode
    F/8
    ISO 100
    24-70 f/2.8 lens...backed in and out depending on ground vs sky fireworks
    previously focused on the cupola of the Palace
    NR reduction OFF
    No filters
    "Bulb" exposure with remote shutter release

Bulb means...Oh wow that looks neat...click....hold it for average 2 to 3 seconds!

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2015
    Hey Taz...I will be glad to share what I did. Probably not everybody's "cup of tea" so to speak...

Tripod
    Camera in M mode
    F/8
    ISO 100
    NR reduction OFF
    No filters

Bulb means...Oh wow that looks neat...click....hold it for average 2 to 3 seconds!

Nice job!
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2015

Tripod
    Camera in M mode
    F/8
    ISO 100
    NR reduction OFF
    No filters

Cool!! Thankz!
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2015
    I like the third on best, and I like the second. The blown highlights in the first kill it for me. Having taken a number of lousy fireworks shots, and a handful of good ones, my hat's off to you!
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    I like the third on best, and I like the second. The blown highlights in the first kill it for me. Having taken a number of lousy fireworks shots, and a handful of good ones, my hat's off to you!

Always appreciate your thoughts, Don. The third shot was totally an accident due to fiddling with the remote shutter release on "bulb" exposure and in the second I didn't notice the "burst" in the top of the picture until I saw them in LR.

Take care,

Wayne

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2015
    Very nice, Wayne! Good composition - that's a great foreground! And it looks like your settings are in line with what I use for fireworks.
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2015
    moose135 wrote: »
    Very nice, Wayne! Good composition - that's a great foreground! And it looks like your settings are in line with what I use for fireworks.

Thank you Moose, I really like using the bulb exposure setting under these circumstances. Seemed to give me more flexibility and if there were sudden unexpected "burst" during an exposure I simply closed the shutter. For the most part it seemed to work well. As I mentioned to Don, there were some "happy accidents".

Take care,

Wayne

• Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,831 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2015
    I'll add my oooos and ahs to the bunch! Great photos (#1 is my fave, the blown highlights didn't bother me so much) - and really appreciate hearing what techniques you used.

Cheers, Sara
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2015
    Blown highlights suit me fine here, too, as fireworks can be blindingly bright. The screen-look is acceptable to my eye; a print version may not look so good. (At least that's my experience with blown highlights-- may be ok on screen, but not in print.) #1 blows my mind! That's what's blown! And thanks for sharing your settings. --Carter
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2015
    I'll add my oooos and ahs to the bunch! Great photos (#1 is my fave, the blown highlights didn't bother me so much) - and really appreciate hearing what techniques you used.

Cheers, Sara

Thanks, Sara! I ALWAYS! appreciate your kind comments. This was a very interesting experience with camera and light. You're the best! bowdown.gif

Take care,

Wayne
    CCoop wrote: »
    Blown highlights suit me fine here, too, as fireworks can be blindingly bright. The screen-look is acceptable to my eye; a print version may not look so good. (At least that's my experience with blown highlights-- may be ok on screen, but not in print.) #1 blows my mind! That's what's blown! And thanks for sharing your settings. --Carter

Carter, your thoughtful comments are always eagerly anticipated and appreciated. I agree with you here. A little more explanation on #1. At the event, this particular "burst" was a rapid fire sequence of explosions that went off like Chinese firecrackers on a string would do. I opened the shutter to catch the initial burst but as the rapid explosion sequence continued I was sure that nothing would turn out in the shot and it would be an entire blown out blur above the Palace. When I saw this result, the limited areas of blown out highlights didn't seem so disappointing and the fact that I captured the pattern of lines and burst was a complete surprise.
    If I could make one suggestion about shooting fireworks now it would be to speak to someone responsible for setting off the display and...if possible...get a rough idea of what the nature and sequence of the detonations are going to be. I found myself getting caught off guard by what was happening low to the ground in front of the Palace and in the skyline high above.

Take care,

Wayne

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2015
    loved these very nice
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2015
    loved these very nice

Awais, this means a lot from one of your talents!wings.gif

• Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2015
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2015
    Nice. I can hear the 1812 Overture.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2015
    jerryr wrote: »
    Great job - I like the third one you posted - all red - very nice !
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    Nice. I can hear the 1812 Overture.

Thanks guys! Your comments are much appreciated.

Take care,

Wayne