Options

Nature's fireworks

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited December 4, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Penland%20026-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2015
    Nice and bright image! Nicely done Tom!
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2015
    Very nice, and appropriately titled. I can envision a fireworks display on a breezy night. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2015
    Very nice. Great background as well.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited November 22, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice and bright image! Nicely done Tom!

Thanks, Taz. It was a " grab " shot. I was walking along a trail when, suddenly, a bright stream of light hit these trail-side plants. The wind was howling so I just fired and hoped for the best. It was one of the few times in my life where I intentionally kept the background soft...hoping to highlight the bright plants.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Very nice, and appropriately titled. I can envision a fireworks display on a breezy night. thumb.gifthumb

Phil

Thanks, Phil. I appreciate the visit. I don't know why but, when spotting these plants with their displays, fireworks is the first thing that jumped to my mind. The intensity of the light falling on those things made them sparkle.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2015
    Very nice. Great background as well.

Hi, Wayne, I appreciate you stopping by. This scene is near Spruce Pine, NC. I was on the grounds of the Penland School of Arts and Crafts. That place is phenomenal. Over the years, I've spent quite a lot of time wandering throughout the campus, watching closely as instructors and students do their thing. Such activity by visitors is openly encouraged and I have learned much about art from their generosity.

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2015
    Thanks, Taz. It was a " grab " shot. I was walking along a trail when, suddenly, a bright stream of light hit these trail-side plants. The wind was howling so I just fired and hoped for the best. It was one of the few times in my life where I intentionally kept the background soft...hoping to highlight the bright plants.

Handled masterfully as it is easy to blow these out....but here they look like glitter! Perfect! Cheers m8!
  • Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2015
    Well seen, great shot and love the title.

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2015
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Well seen, great shot and love the title.

Cheers, Richard.

It's great to hear from you, Richard. I hope you're doing well.

Take care buddy,

Tom
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2015
    I like it! Good eye, Tom--and the title is perfect. it looks like the wind was blowing downhill that day. headscratch.gif

Hope all is well with you. Drop me a line when you have time.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2015
    I guess the trick is to preserve the sky and the distant landscape while igniting the foreground plants. (I can imagine how easily I could have blown out the sky and blacked out the hills.) Very nice!
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2015
    redleash wrote: »
    I like it! Good eye, Tom--and the title is perfect. it looks like the wind was blowing downhill that day. headscratch.gif

Hope all is well with you. Drop me a line when you have time.

Lauren

Thanks for the visit, Lauren. I'll be firing off a PM to you.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    I guess the trick is to preserve the sky and the distant landscape while igniting the foreground plants. (I can imagine how easily I could have blown out the sky and blacked out the hills.) Very nice!

Thanks for your support, Carter. Had it not been for circumstances, I would not have gotten this shot. While the sky in the distant is fairly benign, behind me it was in a bit of turmoil. A strong beam of light burst through the clouds and fell directly upon those plants, giving them a sparkle. I damn near fell down an incline trying to get my camera ready before the light disappeared.

Take care,

Tom