Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    Got it - automatic album creation is coming!
    Finally figured out how to approach automatic album creation UI-wise. All tests are done, just need to code all this (there are few things I need to cover first). If nothing stands in a way, should be done no later than coming week, i.e. no later than Dec 17..
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    not just because one actually can't upload 10Gb in one shot (which one can now:-)thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif

One can? They changed the limit?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited December 13, 2004
    They didn't..
    wxwax wrote:
    One can? They changed the limit?
    But there was (never?) a limit internally. There were specific uploaders' limitations. Neither rutt's python script nor my win32 app has this limit.
    So, yes, now one can:-)
    Cheers!
  • philspacephilspace Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    Aweome app Nikolai, I'm impressed thumb.gif
  • unsavoryunsavory Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 13, 2004
    Bad news Nikolai,

SmugMug Explorer entered into some kind of infinite loop early this morning. It is choking up 100% of my CPU and the program is not responding. It looks like it got a lot, but not all of, my pictures uploaded.

Problem is, I can't tell what order it did them in. Looks like I will have to go back and look at each album to make sure which ones are complete and which ones aren't.

Let me know if there is something I can do to help you debug this, however it will probably be difficult because it is in an infinite loop as I said.
    edited December 13, 2004
    Can you do me a favor?
    I have an idea (actually, stumbled upons smth similar myself just 10 min ago).
    If you please can try this:
    1. Close the app
    2. Start the app, do not autoconnect (hit esc on the countdown)
    3. Open the options (Ctrl+F11)
    4. Go to Log page, check everything you can
    5. On the same page - set the lines limit value to 0
    6. Cllick OK
    7. Connect (F9)
    8. See if it is frozen or not
    9. let me know asap
    Thanks!
    edited December 13, 2004
    Working on it...
    edited December 13, 2004
    It is not frozen, no. Just sitting at the album list after connecting.
    edited December 13, 2004
    Have to run to the office. I'll check in from there.
    edited December 13, 2004
    I think I fixed it
    And, from what I understand, all your uploads should be fine - it was a final cleanup process that got locked up. Very unexpected behaviour of a standard win32 multiline edit box control, I must add, never had that before, and, trust me, I've been using it everywhere...
    Anyway, get the new version. It has some new goodies in it. I didn't plan to publish them until the next big change, but they already were there, so I decided "what the heck"..:-)
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited December 13, 2004
    Thanks!
    philspace wrote:
    Aweome app Nikolai, I'm impressed thumb.gif
    I'm glad you find it useful!

Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited December 13, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    And, from what I understand, all your uploads should be fine - it was a final cleanup process that got locked up. Very unexpected behaviour of a standard win32 multiline edit box control, I must add, never had that before, and, trust me, I've been using it everywhere...
    Anyway, get the new version. It has some new goodies in it. I didn't plan to publish them until the next big change, but they already were there, so I decided "what the heck"..:-)
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    All my uploads, yes. As in complete individual photos. The problem is that it did not complete uploading the albums fully. So I just need to find which one/ones did not get filled.

No worries, it still saved me hours and hours of doing all this manually.

And... what great support! Good "remote debugging". :D
    edited December 13, 2004
    More on this
    unsavory wrote:
    All my uploads, yes. As in complete individual photos. The problem is that it did not complete uploading the albums fully. So I just need to find which one/ones did not get filled.
    You can check the log file - there are many, select the appropriate one (in Data\Logs subfolder), they are named after the beginning of the session.
    unsavory wrote:
    No worries, it still saved me hours and hours of doing all this manually.
    Hope so:-)
    unsavory wrote:
    And... what great support! Good "remote debugging". :D
    I've been around for a while..:-) At my current place, they used to call R&D people like 11 pm or 4 am if the customer had a serious problem. Luckily, we have a much better QA and hence,very few issues now, none of which would require such drastic measures. But I got a few years of that kind of drill...:-)
    PLease let me know if there are more problems.
    BTW, how many did you upload (count/size) and how much time did it take? Over what connection(dialup,dsl, modem, T1...)? Just curious about performance..
    edited December 13, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    BTW, how many did you upload (count/size) and how much time did it take? Over what connection(dialup,dsl, modem, T1...)? Just curious about performance..

A little under 4000 photos total on this run.

Approximately 400 to 600k each photo (All my old photos were with an old 2.2 MP camera shooting at 1024 x 768 :puke1 ).

I started the run at 2PM yesterday afternoon. It ran until 3:30AM today, for a grand total of 13.5 hours.

Edit: Sorry, forgot my connection. Was running it from home on a supposed 384K up (Yeah right, where do they get these numbers from?) DSL line. However, I'm still not sure my upgrade from 128K upstream DSL ever went through as I never really saw a speed increase. Sorry, can't really confirm at this moment.
    edited December 13, 2004
    Thanks!
    unsavory wrote:
    A little under 4000 photos total on this run.

Approximately 400 to 600k each photo (All my old photos were with an old 2.2 MP camera shooting at 1024 x 768 :puke1 ).

I started the run at 2PM yesterday afternoon. It ran until 3:30AM today, for a grand total of 13.5 hours.
    Nice to know, appreciate the sharing.
    (Guess it would take you a while doing it manually in 100Mb batches:-)

A little performance hint: when operating normally, uncheck all the logging checkboxes. They are mostly for the troubleshooting, you don't need them if everytnings's OK. Otherwise log window accumalates a lot of info, most of which you don't even need. (Note to self - change the default settings:-)

Cheers! Hope you like the new version:-)1drink.gif
    edited December 13, 2004
    Sometime soon
    unsavory wrote:
    Edit: Sorry, forgot my connection. Was running it from home on a supposed 384K up (Yeah right, where do they get these numbers from?) DSL line. However, I'm still not sure my upgrade from 128K upstream DSL ever went through as I never really saw a speed increase. Sorry, can't really confirm at this moment.
    .. I would add several perfomance indicators, so you would know precisely current/avg speed, time elapsed/left, bytes/counts sent/left, etc.
    edited December 13, 2004
    We're sticky now!
    Nikolai wrote:
    Don (or anybody with the access to the Big Red Button) - may I ask to make this thread a "sticky" one?
    Or - may be even create a separate forum...
    I dno't know whom personally to thank, but thank you very much!thumb.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited December 15, 2004
    Well I am on day 3 or 4 of almost continuous uploading using SmugMug Explorer.

This morning I woke up to find a dialog box that read something like, "Socket Write Error. Connection Reset By Peer". Thought I would report it, as this seems to be a bug.

Shouldn't it reconnect and resend rather than throw that error message?
    edited December 15, 2004
    Socket error
    unsavory wrote:
    Well I am on day 3 or 4 of almost continuous uploading using SmugMug Explorer.

This morning I woke up to find a dialog box that read something like, "Socket Write Error. Connection Reset By Peer". Thought I would report it, as this seems to be a bug.

Shouldn't it reconnect and resend rather than throw that error message?
    Thank you.
    I occasionally see it, too. Happens sometimes, when connection is not solid. Kinda hard to catch - it's a a different thread, but I will.

It seems like SE helps you a bit, no;-)?
    edited December 15, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    It seems like SE helps you a bit, no;-)?

Yes, it saves me from having to write one in Java and allows me to spend my time taking photographs and learning Photoshop instead.
    :D
    edited December 19, 2004
    Hold on to your mouse: now you can upload BMPs!
    The new version is not out yet (other things in the works), but - check this out:
    now it can automatically convert your BMPs into smugmug-compliant JPEGs .
    For now I hardcoded conversion parameters (90% quality, etc.), but eventually it will all make it to user defined configuration. I'm planning to support a much wider variety of files, so you don't have to do it manually.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    The new version is not out yet (other things in the works), but - check this out:
    now it can automatically convert your BMPs into smugmug-compliant JPEGs .
    For now I hardcoded conversion parameters (90% quality, etc.), but eventually it will all make it to user defined configuration. I'm planning to support a much wider variety of files, so you don't have to do it manually.

Nikolai,

Just to let you know that I'm going to start a campaign to have you come over to the light side (Macintosh) so you can bring the best uploader to the best platform!

(Just kidding, but I'm almost jealous of all the Windows folks who are gonna have this great sounding app)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited December 19, 2004
    Man, I wish I could...
    But I have zero experience with Mac. I'm a guru in windows world (I'm not not kidding - I was ranked Top 7 Delphi Developer Worldwide by Brainbench few years ago), but on Mac I'd become a total rookie.. kinda discouraging idea..
    Besides, it would take a huge amount of money (hardware, software, books) and some serious amount of time learning all this stuff before I can be productive even to the 10% of my current windows-related powers:-)
    You know what I'm saying? Seriously, IMHO Mr.Jobs made a HUGE mistake when he made all his stuff proprietary. Apple Script... yeah, right.umph.gif Ask any commerical programmer what he thinks of scripts (I'm not talkig perl/php and other web server-side stuff) - and make sure there are no kids around:-):D

Cheers! We should get together and have a drink sometime:-)1drink.gif
    edited December 19, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    But I have zero experience with Mac. I'm a guru in windows world (I'm not not kidding - I was ranked Top 7 Delphi Developer Worldwide by Brainbench few years ago), but on Mac I'd become a total rookie.. kinda discouraging idea..
    Besides, it would take a huge amount of money (hardware, software, books) and some serious amount of time learning all this stuff before I can be productive even to the 10% of my current windows-related powers:-)
    You know what I'm saying? Seriously, IMHO Mr.Jobs made a HUGE mistake when he made all his stuff proprietary. Apple Script... yeah, right.umph.gif Ask any commerical programmer what he thinks of scripts (I'm not talkig perl/php and other web server-side stuff) - and make sure there are no kids around:-):D

Cheers! We should get together and have a drink sometime:-)1drink.gif

Yes, we should. Or maybe get out and shoot some. I could use more experience, that's for sure.

Not to beat a dead horse, but every Mac comes with developer tools...
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 19, 2004
    See - I didn't even know that:-)
    DavidTO wrote:
    Not to beat a dead horse, but every Mac comes with developer tools...
    I'm already feeling warmer & fuzzier:-)
    If you don't mind my asking - can you tell me what they are?
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yes, we should. Or maybe get out and shoot some. I could use more experience, that's for sure.
    Swell idea, I wouldn't mind stealing somebody else's experience, too:-)
    I was waiting a long time to find a "shooting partner"! Sometimes we go with my work buddy, Chris, but that were always very quick "do-it-on-the-way-to-from-lunch" thingies.
    And, actually, we can do both types of shooting: shoot some pitchas first and shoot some beer/martini/"blue label" later:-):D

Cheers!1drink.gif
    edited December 19, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm already feeling warmer & fuzzier:-)
    If you don't mind my asking - can you tell me what they are?

No, I'll leave that to the experts. I'd just get it all wrong.
    Nikolai wrote:
    Swell idea, I wouldn't mind stealing somebody else's experience, too:-)
    I was waiting a long time to find a "shooting partner"! Sometimes we go with my work buddy, Chris, but that were always very quick "do-it-on-the-way-to-from-lunch" thingies.
    And, actually, we can do both types of shooting: shoot some pitchas first and shoot some beer/martini/"blue label" later:-):D

Cheers!1drink.gif

Shoot me a private message and we can exchange contact info.
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited December 24, 2004
    SE got a new home!
    I finally got tired of freeservers' "free services" (it was a royal pain to deal with them), so I went ahead and purchased a real hosting account from MySiteSpace, complete with a nice domain name (which was free as a Xmas promotion:-).
    Now you can find SE at www.smugmugexplorer.com :-)

I didn't have time to do a major HTML revamping, but I will - once I'm done with the new SE build.
    I figured you guys would wait for the homepage facelift and get something you can actually use first, rather than vice versa!

Merry Crhistmas To All Grinners!
    (regardless of OS, browser and camera brands:-)

PS
    If somebody from smugmug can fix the link in the hacks section, that would be great!
    It's not urgent, but I'm not able to update that old page (cannot get access to it).
    edited December 25, 2004
    GDI+: Victory!
    I took me over 9(!) hours(!!) on Christmas Day(!!!) to find a little missing link to a "save as" functionality. Problem was cleverly hidden by readily availalbe encoders' CLSIDs, which in reality turned out to be " ju-a-a-ast a little different".
    Anyway, now it will be possible to read whatever file GDI+ can read (and judging by a number of different types' thumbnails, it can read a lot) and save it - easily - as bmp, jpg, gif, tiff, or png. Of which I would actually only need jpegs:-).
    It also seems relatively easy to provide "lossless jpeg transformation" (rotations and flippings). I hope I already got enough grief and this "little ez thing" wont turn into another 9 hours on a New Year's Eve:-).
    Anyway - thought I'd tell you some good news about what's coming..
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2004
    Nikolai wrote:
    It also seems relatively easy to provide "lossless jpeg transformation" (rotations and flippings).
    I suppose I can understand adding a feature like rotation, but please don't get tempted to turn SE into yet another image editor. It should stay tightly focused on being the best upload/management tool available. Just my two cents.
    edited December 26, 2004
    I won't, I promise..
    I suppose I can understand adding a feature like rotation, but please don't get tempted to turn SE into yet another image editor. It should stay tightly focused on being the best upload/management tool available. Just my two cents.
    Thank you, I really appreciate your comment and your concern.

My primary reason for playing with GDI+ was to provide an easy way for a (smugmug) user to upload other popular formats (like widely-used tiffs:-) in addition to jpeg/gifs, while at the same time providing some visual feedback on a certain actions (like caption editing, progress, and such). Now I can do that - without purchasing a $1,600 graphics library, which would also require deploying several DLLs nobody would have any other usage for:-).

Don't you like cost-effective solutions?

Also this gives me - and you, and everybody else:-) - an opportunity to automatically shrink/compress files destined to upload. I figured that for some people (e.g. those with AOL/dialup account) this can be a real help. This way they can keep originals at the HDD and upload scaled-down 40% compressed versions, thus significantly cutting down the upload time..
    Frankly, even with my recent switch to a cable modem my connection at home still sucks (upload speed about 230-250), so uploading xmas pictures (3.5Mb each) was a royal pain..

Cheers!1drink.gif