Options

Taken 05/17/10

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited May 21, 2010 in Street and Documentary
I'm trying to get the hang of cropping to help tell a story better.
Does it lose something in the crop?

-870539351_CzzR4-XL-1.jpg

uncropped--
871251007_FsSYh-XL.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    Don't know that it loses anything, Liz, but also not at all sure it gains. Also, for whatever it's worth, when I crop, I either try to maintain the original aspect ratio, or go crop to a known aspect ration, such as a square, that I can't normally get with my camera but would have shot had I been able to. I'm not fond of just random crops. But that's me.
    So...Suppose you cropped up the right side of the image, beginning at the bottom, running the line just to the left of goofy-hat-woman's hand, and then cropped across the top an equal amount, maintaining the original proportions?
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    I agree with B.D. I really try to stick with "standard" crops as much as possible. While rules are made to be broken, I think it's good to push yourself to try to get the comp right as much as possible within some form of constraint. That said, it's also good to explore an image to understand where the story is through various crops then bring that thinking with you when you've got the camera in hand.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Don't know that it loses anything, Liz, but also not at all sure it gains. Also, for whatever it's worth, when I crop, I either try to maintain the original aspect ratio, or go crop to a known aspect ration, such as a square, that I can't normally get with my camera but would have shot had I been able to. I'm not fond of just random crops. But that's me.
    So...Suppose you cropped up the right side of the image, beginning at the bottom, running the line just to the left of goofy-hat-woman's hand, and then cropped across the top an equal amount, maintaining the original proportions?

B.D.--Glad you mentioned the aspect ratio issue. I have wondered before if I needed to adhere to it, or if random cropping was acceptable. I do both. So I will try and stick to the aspect ratio or go with a square crop.

I think I followed your directions--here is the re crop, with original proportions.

What I was trying to convey--which I don't think I succeeded in was that this shot was taken right at the intersection where Little Italy meets Chinatown and the Asian man and the Italian guy were having words. I liked the hand gestures and attitude of the Italian kid and the solemn look of the Asian gentleman.

872283019_yRCfZ-XL-1.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2010
    B.D.--Glad you mentioned the aspect ratio issue. I have wondered before if I needed to adhere to it, or if random cropping was acceptable. I do both. So I will try and stick to the aspect ratio or go with a square crop.

I think I followed your directions--here is the re crop, with original proportions.

What I was trying to convey--which I don't think I succeeded in was that this shot was taken right at the intersection where Little Italy meets Chinatown and the Asian man and the Italian guy were having words. I liked the hand gestures and attitude of the Italian kid and the solemn look of the Asian gentleman.

872283019_yRCfZ-XL-1.jpg

There you go! clap.gifclap
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited May 19, 2010
    IMO, the story comes across well in both the cropped and uncropped versions. Of the two crops, I prefer the second because it completely focuses on the guys. OTOH, I rather liked the echo of the umbrellas in the woman's hat in the original.

Regarding crops, I use standard ratios but TBH, I can't think of a compelling reason why. I print very seldom and it really doesn't matter at all for Web display. Still, some proportions might be more harmonious than others, I think, and the standard ratios have withstood the test of time. ne_nau.gif

Wow, talk about a wishy-washy comment. lol3.gif
  • Options
    sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Crop or no crop, this is a good shot. I enjoyed it. Thx for sharing!
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    I really like this shot -- more than many others because of the reading of faces and posture. I think the clear capture of a light confrontation between the two while others in the street just glance over but keep moving on makes for an engaging viewing.

Richard's correct in the closer crop focusing on the protagonists. I like the wider view because it becomes just another "normal" happening in the city. Either is good depending on your own preferences.