Options

Space Shuttle Endeavour

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited December 21, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Located in the Samuel Oschin Pavilion at the California Science Center - Los Angeles, California.
It was fantastic to see this in person - a must-see if you are interested and in LA.
Lots of additional material/displays in the Science Center.

Endeavour%201-XL.jpg

Endeavour%202-XL.jpg

Endeavour%203-XL.jpg

Endeavour%204-XL.jpg

Endeavour%205-XL.jpg

Endeavour%206-XL.jpg

Endeavour%207-XL.jpg

Endeavour%208-XL.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,922 moderator
    edited December 19, 2013
    Great set, Eric. #7 is awesome. thumb.gif
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2013
    Nice series Eric, great detail!
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited December 19, 2013
    Very cool set of photos. I've never seen a shuttle up close, but some day I hope to. Thanks for posting these.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2013
    Really nice series of an awesome subject thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2013
    Great series, Eric. Real nice B&W work.

I witnessed one of Endeavour's launches....pretty exciting stuff. Too bad the money ran out for that program.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,909 moderator
    edited December 20, 2013
    Thanks for posting! I watched as the shuttle was ferried past Moffett Field on it's journey to LA. It's great to see how it ended up.

Spectacular views. Thanks again!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2013
    #3 #5 & 7 are about the view I had as it went over my head at Kenneth Hahn S.P. on it's arrival, I knew I should have taken two cameras that day, a 300mm lens didn't do much good at that moment.

Black and white was a very good choice for these I think, nicely done.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2013
    Thanks kindly to all of you for your comments, complements, and personal stories - great to hear!
    These iconic, history-making machines seem to have a strong attraction for many of us...
    I think it's the tangible connection to the excitement and achievment of exploration and space travel.

Richard wrote: »
    Great set, Eric. #7 is awesome. thumb.gif
    I like #7 a lot too Richard - it shows the least detail, but has that fun w/a pov.
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice series Eric, great detail!
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Very cool set of photos. I've never seen a shuttle up close, but some day I hope to. Thanks for posting these.
    I was super excited to get the chance to do so David - like so many, I've been fascinated with space travel since even before my Grandpa and I sat together and watched the first moon landing.
    rwells wrote: »
    Really nice series of an awesome subject thumb.gif
    Great series, Eric. Real nice B&W work.

I witnessed one of Endeavour's launches....pretty exciting stuff. Too bad the money ran out for that program.

Take care,

Tom
    Wow Tom... Launch Day! Now that's something for which I would have sold my dear Mother to get a chance to see... maybe we'll be around for the Mars Mission.
    ian408 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting! I watched as the shuttle was ferried past Moffett Field on it's journey to LA. It's great to see how it ended up.

Spectacular views. Thanks again!
    Glad to Ian... In the Science Center, there is a really cool print gallery of the Shuttle on it's way to the Center - many different photogs and scenes including some great "street" shots. You're in Cal - get on over there sometime!

kolibri wrote: »
    #3 #5 & 7 are about the view I had as it went over my head at Kenneth Hahn S.P. on it's arrival, I knew I should have taken two cameras that day, a 300mm lens didn't do much good at that moment.

Black and white was a very good choice for these I think, nicely done.
    Thanks kolibri... Fascinating, the Shuttle itself is so B&W, it seemed entirely logical to do so (said in my best Mr. Spock voice). :D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2013
    Really well done, Eric!
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2013
    No doubt, Eric, you would have been mightily impressed seeing a shuttle launch. Honestly, though, the most dramatic experiences I ever had with launches at the Cape came with close-up viewing of two of the Saturn 5 missions to the moon. When those suckers fired up and took off, it was akin to a religious experience. Due to a contact I had, I was most fortunate to have had front-row seating to those events....as close as you could get. The enormity of the situation really hit home the first time when my shirt starting flapping wildly from the shock waves....and the sounds generated were damn near disabling; and I had ear plugs in.

Happy Holidays, my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2013
    moose135 wrote: »
    Really well done, Eric!

Thanks very much moose... more so, 'cause you-da-man in aviation photography!

I was impressed, and so, inspired by your series of Space Shuttle Enterprise from 2012:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=221602
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2013
    No doubt, Eric, you would have been mightily impressed seeing a shuttle launch. Honestly, though, the most dramatic experiences I ever had with launches at the Cape came with close-up viewing of two of the Saturn 5 missions to the moon. When those suckers fired up and took off, it was akin to a religious experience. Due to a contact I had, I was most fortunate to have had front-row seating to those events....as close as you could get. The enormity of the situation really hit home the first time when my shirt starting flapping wildly from the shock waves....and the sounds generated were damn near disabling; and I had ear plugs in.

Happy Holidays, my friend,

Tom

That is an awesome opportunity and personal story Tom...
    If you think about it - in the context of world history - your eye-witness experiences are rare, and completely modern in nature - never to be exactly repeated. I am, of course, very envious! bowdown.gif

Best to you!
    E.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2013
    Thank you, Eric, I appreciate that. I'm fortunate that I was able to see one shuttle launch - Columbia in November 1983. We were in Orlando on our honeymoon, and the launch was two days after we arrived. If I recall, we were on the side of US1, just about directly across from the launch pad. Somewhere I have some not so good slides of the launch. I'm sorry I never got back, especially with better equipment, and a better vantage point. Tom, I would have loved seeing a Saturn 5 launch. I remember as a little kid, watching Neil Armstrong step out onto the Moon.