Old man and the bike

gorallygorally Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited May 22, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Hi there everyone, my name is Ed and new to this forum. I really enjoy the photos and comments from all of you. I have been shooting since I was a kid. Then on and off for the last 30 years With the digital era, my hobby just re-surfacing again in the last couple year. I look forward to learn a lot from you guys and enjoy my stay here.

I shot this yesterday when I walked to the library. An old man pushing his bike across the road. I hardly found this in the city anymore as majority of the riders don't bother getting off when they are suppose to push. Anyway. C&C are always welcome. Thanks.

P1010662.JPG
Ed

Comments

• W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    gorally wrote: »
    C&C are always welcome.
    Nice composition - I like the use of lines and angles. thumb.gif
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    Welcome to DGrin!

Nice "artsy" shot with the shadows and textures of the road and tire.

I do hope you get bolder and get close-up shots with people's faces while keeping enough of the scene to give it context.
  • gorallygorally Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    W.W: Thanks for the comment.

Rainbow: That will be my challenge to get up close and personal. The only way I can do it is to use a shorter lens which gives me no choice than face my object :-) Thanks for the comment.
    Ed
  • sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    Greetings Ed,

Welcome aboard! I like this shot quit a bit. IMHO, it would be perfect if you include a little more of the bike on the right side.

Cheers,

Sammy.
    edited May 21, 2010
    sabesh wrote: »
    Greetings Ed,

Welcome aboard! I like this shot quit a bit. IMHO, it would be perfect if you include a little more of the bike on the right side.

Cheers,

Sammy.
    Sammy,

I did some cropping to the original. The original has a bit more distraction of shadow and other part of the road. I do think the cropping on the right side a bit tight too. I post the origianl here so anyone feel free to show me their ideal cropping. Thanks and have fun with it.
    P1010662.JPG
    Ed
  • sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    Hi Eddy,

I see what you mean about the shadow distraction on the right side. However, it's natural and to be expected on the street, and adds realism, IMHO.

What do you think of this crop? (I've tried to maintain a standard aspect ratio here):

P1010662_2.jpg

Cheers,

Sammy.
    edited May 21, 2010
    Thank you Sammy. I like your crop. For some reason when I cropped the picture with the mind to left more space on the right of the bicycle, I always end up getting some of the white stripes or the curb of the road. I must be using a different aspect ratio than the original. Thanks.
    Ed
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    Hi Ed! Welcome to dgrin.

I like your 1st crop of the shot. I like the prominence of the shadow and the feet.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited May 22, 2010
    Hi Patti, thanks for the comments. I struggled a bit when deciding how to crop. I went for the bold to cut out part of the bike in order to show more the shadow and try to form a triangle between the strip, shadow and the bike. I think different person preceive an image differently and I like to hear how people look at a photo from different point of view.
    Ed