Options

Cookie maker

gorallygorally Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited May 22, 2010 in Street and Documentary
This was taken in my last trip to Macau( which happened to be the place I born). I went to this old cookie store where close to my house that I spent my first 10 years of my life. The smell of the bakery and the tools still remain the same after 30+ years. The man I used to know who make the cookie is now an old man but he still doing the same work for the past 30+ years. Their shop hasn't change much and I am sure he will continue doing that until he is not capable of. Very simple egg cookies but every bite reminds me of my childhood. I probably won't be seeing him again when I visit that place next time. Thank you for the memory and thank you for his dedication to his work. C&C are welcome.

_1000729.jpg
Ed

Comments

• Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    Ed, I like this portrait and back story. Thanks for posting it.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2010
    Patti, thanks for looking. Forgot to mentioned that C&C are welcome. :-)
    Ed
  • Options
    sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    Ed, no critique here, as this is the way I'd have done it. Very well done and thanks for the interesting story. I want a cookie & Tsing Tao beer now.

EDIT: As a 2nd shot in the series, a picture from a different angle might be interesting. Perhaps aiming the camera straight at him near his chest level. Cheers.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2010
    Sammy, too bad they don't serve you TsingTao..those just to store the charcoal..can't you believe now a day they still make them using charcoal. Apparently they used up a box of those 360 eggs box in 2 day. Making the dough by hand with no machine..boy ..the 5 bucks a pound of those cookies is well worth the money.
    Ed
  • Options
    sabeshsabesh Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    gorally wrote: »
    Sammy, too bad they don't serve you TsingTao..those just to store the charcoal..can't you believe now a day they still make them using charcoal. Apparently they used up a box of those 360 eggs box in 2 day. Making the dough by hand with no machine..boy ..the 5 bucks a pound of those cookies is well worth the money.
    Now, that's putting the soul into food! Very cool.
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2010
    Very nice capture. I like the composition and the inclusion of the boxes in the foreground.

Noticed the hint of the background (including the woman and do not know if bringing them out a little would be of interest. Liked the backstory.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2010
    Thanks rainbow's comment. The woman at the background is his wife. Behind him is his assmbly line to packing and making the dough. The original one is normally exposed. Here is one I opened up the background using Lightroom to show a bit of the backstory. Hope to this to your liking.

_1000729-1.jpg
    Ed