Notification Settings

gatorussgatoruss Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited October 1, 2015 in Dgrin Forum Support
Three questions regarding notifications as they relate to subscribed threads:

1. I would like to configure my settings so that I will receive notifications with respect to any threads that I have started and any threads to which I have responded. I went into my settings and changed them so that I would get an "instant email" for those threads. However, when I via the list of my subscriptions, it still says "None" beside each of those threads inder the "Notification" column. I would have assumed that that column would indicate what notification options applied to each particular subscribed thread. Am I not understanding that correctly?

2. There are some threads to which I have subscribed, but to which I have not posted or replied - I am just interested in the topic and the status of the discussion. I cannot seem to find a way to get notifications with respect to those threads.

3. Finally, is there a way to select notification options on a thread by hread basis - "Instant" for a few, "Daily" or "Weekly" for others, and "None" for the balance?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited October 1, 2015
    gatoruss wrote: »
    Three questions regarding notifications as they relate to subscribed threads:

1. I would like to configure my settings so that I will receive notifications with respect to any threads that I have started and any threads to which I have responded. I went into my settings and changed them so that I would get an "instant email" for those threads. However, when I via the list of my subscriptions, it still says "None" beside each of those threads inder the "Notification" column. I would have assumed that that column would indicate what notification options applied to each particular subscribed thread. Am I not understanding that correctly?
    I'm not sure I understand your question, but: I don't think changing your notification preference to instant will apply retroactively to threads you have started or posted in in the past. Only going forward from when you changed the preference. I'm not positive about this, but it sounds like that's what you're seeing.
    2. There are some threads to which I have subscribed, but to which I have not posted or replied - I am just interested in the topic and the status of the discussion. I cannot seem to find a way to get notifications with respect to those threads.
    Well, this is possible; I do it all the time. Again, it might be a matter of when you reset your notification preference and when you subscribed to the thread, dunno.
    3. Finally, is there a way to select notification options on a thread by hread basis - "Instant" for a few, "Daily" or "Weekly" for others, and "None" for the balance?
    No, I'm afraid not.

One last thought: have you checked your spam folder? It's possible that your mail provider may be considering notifications as spam and hiding them "for your convenience." It has been known to happen, though not often.
  • gatorussgatoruss Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2015
    Pecking around with the settings, and I think I have figured how the "Subscription Notification" settings works.

If you go to your "Subscriptions Folder," you will see little check boxes to the right of each subscribed thread listed in the folder. If you check one or more of those boxes and then using the dropdown menu you can select various options for the selected threads, including email notifications. You can mix and match, where some can have no notification, others instant and others daily, etc.