Smugmug PRCESSING TIME is soooo slow!

ppugappuga Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited September 13, 2012 in SmugMug Support
I just run the http://speedtest.smugmug.net/

Last Result:

Download Speed: 1519 kbps (189.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1643 kbps (205.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

I just do this, the upload is good and the download too, but the time SMUGMUG takes processing an Image so it appears on my galleries is taking too much.

I just upload an image from my mobile phone, 1.1mb aprox, and now I'm still waiting to appear, I just got this:

PROCESSING IMAGE

And if I rotate or watermark something it takes a loooot of time to see the changes, even If I only do it in one photo, I'been with Smugmug for more than a year now and this last week is the slowest it has been in this time.

Tomorrow I have to upload lots of photos in my galleries for a client, images up to 8mb e/a I can't imagine how long i will have to wait.

From the time I upload the picture to now, there have been more than 10 minutes and it doesn't appear. I rotate another photo in another gallery and the same... still working but nothing happens.

Please help! :cry

By the way, I use FireFox latest version, on a MAC G5 running 10.4.7. And up load using UNIVERSAL DRAG & DROP. But it's the same with the smugmug uploader I use on my powerbook g4 on the same sistem.

My problem isn't uploading, is in the processing time.

Comments

• ElysiumElysium Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2006
    I'm not trying to take any slack off Smugmug, but you should really rotate your photos before you upload them... you can just select them all and do it pretty much instantly.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    ppuga wrote:
    I just run the http://speedtest.smugmug.net/

Last Result:

Download Speed: 1519 kbps (189.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1643 kbps (205.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

I just do this, the upload is good and the download too, but the time SMUGMUG takes processing an Image so it appears on my galleries is taking too much.

I just upload an image from my mobile phone, 1.1mb aprox, and now I'm still waiting to appear, I just got this:

PROCESSING IMAGE

And if I rotate or watermark something it takes a loooot of time to see the changes, even If I only do it in one photo, I'been with Smugmug for more than a year now and this last week is the slowest it has been in this time.

Tomorrow I have to upload lots of photos in my galleries for a client, images up to 8mb e/a I can't imagine how long i will have to wait.

From the time I upload the picture to now, there have been more than 10 minutes and it doesn't appear. I rotate another photo in another gallery and the same... still working but nothing happens.

Please help! :cry

By the way, I use FireFox latest version, on a MAC G5 running 10.4.7. And up load using UNIVERSAL DRAG & DROP. But it's the same with the smugmug uploader I use on my powerbook g4 on the same sistem.

My problem isn't uploading, is in the processing time.

Hi Pablo,

Our engineers discovered another problem last night, fixed it, and learned something in the process. Upload queues should stay much shorter now, and these problems, we hope, will be far fewer , going forward.

We're also in the midst of installing a bunch of new gear and servers, which should help to improve things greatly.

Awfully sorry you experienced this last night. Thanks for your patience while we worked through it!
  • ppugappuga Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Pablo,

Our engineers discovered another problem last night, fixed it, and learned something in the process. Upload queues should stay much shorter now, and these problems, we hope, will be far fewer , going forward.

We're also in the midst of installing a bunch of new gear and servers, which should help to improve things greatly.

Awfully sorry you experienced this last night. Thanks for your patience while we worked through it!

Thanks Andy,

I will upload some photos during the day to make some test, I'll keep you informed.

thumb.gif
  • staypuffinpcstaypuffinpc Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    loading times are still slow everywhere
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Pablo,

Things are still dreadfully slow everywhere. Even trying to write this message, the message box literally took minutes to appear. Also, when I accessed the main smugmug page, it also took minutes just to load the page. The "you've logged in, wait 10 seconds..." page, which has very little on it, also took almost a full minute to load. I've tried accessing my site in the past couple of days, and it has taken horribly long (the front page uses the slideshow hack). Is there an ETA on when these things'll be resolved?
    {something witty here}
    Is there an ETA on when these things'll be resolved?
    I'm sorry you are having trouble. The site is zipping along for folks, not you of course.... let's diagnose it!

Can you run speedtest to SmugMug;

http://speedtest.smugmug.net

and also, can you do a traceroute from you to www.smugmug.com and post the results here so we can further diagnose what's happening. We want to help. Thanks!
  • ppugappuga Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    Much better now. I upload some photos to see what happens and think we are back to the normal speed of processing. clap.gif
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    Glad to hear I'm not alone. Things seemed unusually slow last night--super long upload times (though I'm going through the REST API & expect some issues), and the zoom thumbs weren't generating correctly. I'll make another attempt at the new gallery tonight.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    Slow processing time (again)
    Two shots uploaded about 15 minutes ago still don't even show as processing, though they had gotten far enough for me to caption them. See:

http://rutt.smugmug.com/gallery/1850816

Maybe it will still be stuck.
    If not now, when?
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    rutt wrote:
    Two shots uploaded about 15 minutes ago still don't even show as processing, though they had gotten far enough for me to caption them. See:

http://rutt.smugmug.com/gallery/1850816

Maybe it will still be stuck.

Me too rutt.
    Removing watermark on one photo. Been at least 30 minutes but, it does show processing.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    This has been happening to me also for the last few days.
    I upload the pics, (6 about 200 - 300k each) and it takes it's sweet time loading
    them for me to use and view. (maybe 20 minutes)
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2006
    Me too
    Server response is "normal" - IDs are returned.
    However, images are not even in the queue. After 4th attempt two images managed to get into the queue, but looks like they gonna be there for a while... ne_nau.gif

EDIT: 2 minutes after post later generic thumbs started to appear... Looks like I'll have 4 copies - eventually, that is:-)

EDIT2: I guess this is one of those scheduled maintenances.... No wait, those should be on Monday nights... Non-scheduled, then... Oh well...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    Slow tonight too. I upload them via drag and drop, and there is nothing in the album and then later like 15 minutes later the small thumbnail saying they are there, but not showing for yet another 15 minutes. Makes for some foot tapping when needing the image right then.

Andy, I just went back and reopened it again, and the 5 [small] images are still stuck in smuggerland somewhere ;~)

Refreshing used to give some efforts, but the last two days I might as well go to bed and check in the morning....eek7.gif Hope this helps in your workload tomorrow. Thanks
    Glad to hear I'm not alone. Things seemed unusually slow last night--super long upload times (though I'm going through the REST API & expect some issues), and the zoom thumbs weren't generating correctly. I'll make another attempt at the new gallery tonight.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    All in!
    Finally all in.. Now - delete extra copies.. ne_nau.gif
    Still have no idea what it was... headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    Netgarden wrote:
    Slow tonight too. I upload them via drag and drop, and there is nothing in the album and then later like 15 minutes later the small thumbnail saying they are there, but not showing for yet another 15 minutes. Makes for some foot tapping when needing the image right then.

Andy, I just went back and reopened it again, and the 5 [small] images are still stuck in smuggerland somewhere ;~)

Refreshing used to give some efforts, but the last two days I might as well go to bed and check in the morning....eek7.gif Hope this helps in your workload tomorrow. Thanks
    Hi Linda, last night around 12:30am NY time, 930pm CA time, it was a little on the slow side for processing images. We're sorry about that. We're still in the process of installing a mess of new hardware, and reconfiguring things, so that this type of situation can be mitigated in the future. Stay tuned!
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    I've felt that there has been a noticable improvement in system response time since the hardware was moved to the new colo. I just set up watermarking on the gallery, fire up SendToSmugMug, upload pre-rotated/processed photos into the already configured gallery, and grab dinner. thumb.gif
  • Zafar IqbalZafar Iqbal Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 8, 2012
    I did a Google search the matter and found this thread. I uploaded 2 pics and one is still processing. I uploaded them some 25 minutes ago. I generally have good experience with Smugmug, but this is a big downer.
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    You do realise that this thread is six years old?
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    For what it's worth since this has now been bumped, I experienced a much longer processing on one image the other day as well. Only uploaded a couple, and one took a good 10 minutes or so to process, and the other was done right away. If it's just one image, I wouldn't worry about it, sometimes things happen.
  • wsquaredwsquared Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2012
    I uploaded 78 3-5 meg photos using the Java "Simple Uploader" (I tried using the html uploader, but got errors.) Upload speed was 1.5 meg. All uploads were confirmed and the last one finished about 40 minutes ago. None of the photos have appeared in the gallery, which still registers as empty "needs Photos."

It's been a while since I uploaded photos to my SmugMug account. Is this kind of lag normal now?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    Might have to do with all the MIGRATING to ZENFOLIO going on ... ... ... :~}}
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    wsquared wrote: »
    I uploaded 78 3-5 meg photos using the Java "Simple Uploader" (I tried using the html uploader, but got errors.) Upload speed was 1.5 meg. All uploads were confirmed and the last one finished about 40 minutes ago. None of the photos have appeared in the gallery, which still registers as empty "needs Photos."

It's been a while since I uploaded photos to my SmugMug account. Is this kind of lag normal now?
    Not in my experience.

Did you verify that there were no errors on the upload?
    Tools... Account Settings... Stats...
    In the Upload section, click the Details button to see the upload log.

If you are still having problems you might consider contacting the smug heroes directly - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new.

--- Denise
    I contacted SmugMug support. They told me to temporarily disable my Kaspersky Anti-Virus software and try again. That solved the problem. Anti-Virus software hasn't been an issue for me in the past with SmugMug, but I guess it is now.

WW
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2012
    wsquared wrote: »
    I contacted SmugMug support. They told me to temporarily disable my Kaspersky Anti-Virus software and try again. That solved the problem. Anti-Virus software hasn't been an issue for me in the past with SmugMug, but I guess it is now.

WW
    Antivirus and security software in general is constantly developing and updating. Nowadays such software not only looks at the incoming traffic, but also scans all outgoing traffic and that's what may interfere with our uploaders.

You don't need to disable Kaspersky, but following the instructions should allow you to upload with Kaspersky running:
    1. Select settings on Kaspersky

2. Under Web 'Anti-Virus section' click on settings.
    See this screen grab: http://screencast.com/t/6WIZkcbnh

3. Under Web 'Anti-Virus section' select the 'Trusted URL's' tab, then 'Add'
    See this screen grab: http://screencast.com/t/5J7Uqc8xR

4. Enter in '*.smugmug.com', the 'OK' on the 'Trusted URLs' tab, then 'OK' on the 'Settings' panel.
    See this screen grab: http://screencast.com/t/y1iaQbwh

5. Press 'Apply' on the 'Settings' panel.
    See this screen grab: http://screencast.com/t/eOhhss7XXp

6. Press 'OK' on the 'Settings' panel.
    See this screen grab: http://screencast.com/t/s9b4OIJoz5a
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited September 13, 2012
    Thanks for the info. I modified Kaspersky as you suggested.

WW