Tour de Millersburg Bike Race

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited June 19, 2009 in Sports
The following photos are a few shots I took with my Nikon D40, just after receiving it. These were taken at last years event, and I can't wait to see if they are going to hold this event again this year. They break the riders down into 2 or 3 different groups based on their qualifying times the day before, plus they also have the same thing for women. This was the first time for me shooting this type of sporting event, as I usually like to shoot motorsports, mainly drag racing, but I found this event to be a lot of fun to shoot. Any and all C&C is welcomed.

553495637_czJ9Z-L.jpg

553496005_qf4Yx-L.jpg

553496557_NRsA8-L.jpg

#4 Now for the women
553498024_uLUg3-L.jpg

553501390_aWuu4-L.jpg

553499886_VFLpW-L.jpg

What can or should I do to make these better next time around, if they hold this event again this year?

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• budman101budman101 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Millersburg is on August 16th. From reading the tech manual there is a Time Trial, Crit, and Road Race so there will be tons of opportunity for great shots.
    For good shots on crits position yourself on the inside of turns about 15-20 feet past the apex. Use continuous or manual focus and track one rider while panning and shooting. Don't just mash down on the shutter with the drive on continuous advance. Shoot in short bursts of 3 or 4 frames. Keep your aperture as wide open as you can to blur the background.
    On a road race course, go for the shots on climbs. The steeper the better. If there is a feed zone some decent opportunities are there too.
    If you have a flash with high speed synch use it for close ups. On post processing crop tight to where the action is.
    551307599_uPHMC-M-3.jpg

562689007_Qo2ZA-M.jpg
    www.joemallis.com
    "Most time its not the gear that makes the shot"
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2009
    Thanks for the reply Budman! I'm going to contact the guy that lays the course out (Borough Manager) and plan a few locations based on your recommendations. I'm hoping to get good enough shots so I can submit them to the local paper.

If anyone is going to attend this race, PM me and we can arrange to meet some where, and I'll, show you some areas based on Budman's tips for good locations. I have one location already picked out, where they will probably be doing close to 50 or 60 mph, and then have to make a hard right hand turn, based on last years course.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams