Color Correcting 7D / 5D footage (great article!)

THX1965THX1965 Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
edited January 27, 2010 in Video
Stu Maschwitz from the excellent ProLost Blog (he's one of the creative guys behind Red Giant Software and was also one of the founders of the visual effects house The Orphanage) just posted a great article on color correcting footage shot with any of the Canon DSLR's.

http://prolost.com/blog/2010/1/26/color-correcting-canon-7d-footage.html

20100127-ne7xyhkm7e5jp62kqy4e8i44ar.jpg

But it's not so much about how to color correct, it's about how to shoot your footage so that you have the widest range of grading possibilities in post. With DSLR video it's like shooting highly compressed, low resolution JPEG's. You want to be as neutral as possible, low contrast, no sharpening. Anyway, Stu's post says it much better than I can. Highly recommended for anyone who's interested in getting the best possible video footage out of a 7D or 5D.

Enjoy.

--- Markus ---

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    The same idea is described with a humorous video and some other flattening presets over here. When they create their picture styles, they don't stop at the camera, they use the Canon Picture Style Editor so they can make curves and stuff.

The custom presets advice in one of the other posts linked from that one is great. Assign your still and video settings to separate custom presets so they don't screw up each other.
  • THX1965THX1965 Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    colourbox wrote:
    The same idea is described with a humorous video and some other flattening presets over here. When they create their picture styles, they don't stop at the camera, they use the Canon Picture Style Editor so they can make curves and stuff.

The custom presets advice in one of the other posts linked from that one is great. Assign your still and video settings to separate custom presets so they don't screw up each other.

Good point. That video has been linked to in this forum before. I think the article really sums everything up nicely.

I have somewhat modified my previous position on the Picture Stye Editor. I now think that for most scenarios it's enough to start out with the preset NEUTRAL and turn contrast and sharpness all the way down. Especially sharpness. You'll get a much more film-like image that way.

--- Markus ---