5D II Video

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited February 10, 2010 in Video
I am now trying to experiment with video and ran into a big problem. I don't know squat about video and the manual is not real helpful.

Does anyone know of a book, video, or class that will teach someone how to use the 5D II?

Oh sure I can turn it on and record but I don't how to gain control over the camera. As an example if I want to shoot with a wide open aperture for a creative DOF how the heck do I do this?

Looks like manual focusing is the only way to focus. Is there any trick to achieving a smooth focus transition?

Also I noticed that the camera will record the sound of focusing the lens. The 24-105 is smoother with less sound but it is still present. My 50 1.8 is VERY loud. How do you hand hold, adjust focus, and record ambient sound without also recording the lens focusing sounds?

Thanks!!!

Sam

Comments

• BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    Does anyone know of a book, video, or class that will teach someone how to use the 5D II?
    I don't really know of anything specific to the DSLR video other than what's on the web. I have found www.cinema5D.com to be an excellent resource. But, in general, the principals of good film making apply. So, general books on videography and cinematography will be helpful.
    Sam wrote:
    Oh sure I can turn it on and record but I don't how to gain control over the camera. As an example if I want to shoot with a wide open aperture for a creative DOF how the heck do I do this?
    I use a 7D, so I'm not as familiar with the 5D mk II. If you have an early model, you may need to upgrade your firmware to gain full manual control in video mode. I don't think it will allow you to shoot in Av or Tv mode, but you will be able to shoot in M to control your DOF. As a general rule for someone getting started, shoot for shutter speeds about twice as fast as your frame rate. So, if you're shooting at 30 fps, aim for a shutter speed of 1/60. This is not a hard and fast rule, by any means, but it will result in the most common video "look."
    Sam wrote:
    Looks like manual focusing is the only way to focus. Is there any trick to achieving a smooth focus transition?
    Once you've started recording, you are correct. If you want to change focus while shooting, you have to do it manually. There is no "trick" to achieving smooth focus. DSLR lenses were not designed for video focusing, so they make things particularly difficult to get smooth. I've found that with practice, I can get an acceptably smooth focus transition. But, the "real" solution people use for this problem is to attach a "follow focus" system. Google it and you'll see what I'm talking about. I don't use one myself, because it's just not practical for how I shoot.

But, another thing people do to help with focus is to attach a magnifier to the LCD, like the Z-finder. This is my personal solution, and I love it. But, it's pricey and bulky--those are the trade-offs.
    Sam wrote:
    Also I noticed that the camera will record the sound of focusing the lens. The 24-105 is smoother with less sound but it is still present. My 50 1.8 is VERY loud. How do you hand hold, adjust focus, and record ambient sound without also recording the lens focusing sounds?
    I'm afraid these cameras are going to disappoint if you're hoping to record good sound from the onboard mic. You can't get around them picking up lens sounds. The solutions are to live with it, attach a shotgun mic (will help somewhat), attach an off-camera mic, or record sound separately and sync it in post-production. If you follow the link provided above and go to the discussion on audio solutions, you'll see how big of an issue this is and how people are dealing with it. Personally, outside of home videos, I record audio separately with a Zoom H4n digital recorder. I do a lot of shooting live music performances, and the Zoom works extremely well for that. People also seem to like it for capturing ambient sounds for nature photography.

Welcome to the incredible world of DSLR video. I love it myself. But, you'll find it takes a lot of learning coming from the still photography world. There's a lot of new technique to learn and, unfortunately, a modest investment in additional equipment to get great results. Personally, though, I think it's all worth it.
  • raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    Sam wrote:

Sam

Hi Sam,

I also have the 5d Mk II, fairly new so I probably have the latest firmware.
    I noticed that you can also control the autofocus by pressing the AF-ON button and it will focus where the white square is located.

If you use the joystick to to move the white square you can change the focus location.
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
    edited January 23, 2010
    I noticed that you can also control the autofocus by pressing the AF-ON button and it will focus where the white square is located.

If you use the joystick to to move the white square you can change the focus location.
    Yes, you can do this to pre-focus before you start recording. If you do this while you're recording, you may not like the results. The camera changes the exposure settings during the live view focus operation, which will show up on your recorded video until the camera achieves focus. Also, it's a hunting type of focus (not a smooth focus like you usually want in video) so it will look jerky in playback. I find this useful only when I know I'll be willing to cut out the focus in editing.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2010
    Sam, you'll never get very good audio with the 5D, it's got automatic gain control. Check through this forum for more information on optimizing the video and audio on the 5D/7D.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2010
    Thank you for your input!

I think there is a real opportunity here for someone to offer a classes, especially a beginning class on video with the Canon DLSR's.

I have a good grasp on how to control the camera for still photography but am struggling with the basics for video. We haven't even talked at editing. :D

I am able to get some interesting video (technical clips for learning) but not sure how or what criteria the camera is using to set the aperture and ISO. It seems to be surprisingly good in low light.

I guess I am stuck with pressing buttons and seeing what the result is. Kinda like when I was trying to learn DOS without a manual.

Sam
  • THX1965THX1965 Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    I am now trying to experiment with video and ran into a big problem. I don't know squat about video and the manual is not real helpful.

Sorry that I didn't see your post earlier. Yes, there is an excellent DVD (or digital download) on how to get the best possible video footage out of your 5D Mark II. It's by Philip Bloom and if you use the code "starwars" when you checkout, you get 20% off. I don't know of any other product that deals only with the video aspect of the 5D. Highly recommended. I just ordered Bloom's 7D version of the same DVD.

Learn 5D MKII Cinematography

Hope that helps.

--- Markus ---
    edited January 28, 2010
    Thanks Markus,

This is the only thing I have seen so far that covers this.

Sam
  • THX1965THX1965 Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2010
    Sam wrote:
    Thanks Markus,

This is the only thing I have seen so far that covers this.

Sam

...and it's a really good one. There are numerous reviews out there about this product and even a few excerpts from the 7D version of the DVD.

I'll be receiving my 7D DVD in a few days. I'll let you know what I think of it.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited January 28, 2010
    For a very cursory overview of the video capabilities of the Canon 5D MKII:

http://www.vimeo.com/2517472

I have a few quibbles about some of what is presented and I don't think this represents the manual exposure capabilities available with the latest firmware, but it will get you started in 5D MKII video.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 28, 2010
    Thanks THX1965,

I took a look at this and I have to pass right now on the tutorial.

Ziggy,

Thanks that gave me some good basic info and allowed me to do a few additional more focused empirical test.

Creating a high quality video is of course a long way off, but I can shoot manually or in an automatic mode with good exposure as a start.

Sam
    edited February 10, 2010
    Here's a nice resource I just discovered:
    http://nofilmschool.com/dslr/