Good not too pricey monitor for photography

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited May 26, 2015 in Accessories
Hi all,
looking for a not too pricey monitor for post processing and on searching the web the prospect is daunting to say the least. I'm working with a pretty crappy Acer right now so anything would be an improvement. DH says "Lynn, you need a new monitor" so there. Looking at something like a 24inch as I'm a bit tucked for space. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. maybe a Dell? if you have experience with any I'd love to hear it. p.s. also wondering about Viewsonic? Had a great old crt once and loved it...
Thanks
Lynn :dunno

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2015
    lynnma wrote: »
    Hi all,
    looking for a not too pricey monitor for post processing and on searching the web the prospect is daunting to say the least. I'm working with a pretty crappy Acer right now so anything would be an improvement. DH says "Lynn, you need a new monitor" so there. Looking at something like a 24inch as I'm a bit tucked for space. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. maybe a Dell? if you have experience with any I'd love to hear it. p.s. also wondering about Viewsonic? Had a great old crt once and loved it...
    Thanks
    Lynn ne_nau.gif
    I'm looking at this one... any comments??ne_nau.gif

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00906GBBC/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=lighandmatt-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00906GBBC&adid=0TJ5G46J1MFSVBT8GAP6
    edited April 18, 2015
    Hi all,
    Thanks
    Lynn ne_nau.gif
    I'm looking at this one... any comments??ne_nau.gif

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00906GBBC/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=lighandmatt-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B00906GBBC&adid=0TJ5G46J1MFSVBT8GAP6
    edited April 18, 2015
    I've ordered it ... couldn't wait.. instant gratification.. hope it works :)
  • Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2015
    Hi Lynn,

I have dual 24" Dell's and am quite happy with them. They are IPS panels and I've calibrated them with a Spyder 3 Pro.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=320-2676

Cheers, Don
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2015
    The Asus has good reviews. I've always been pleased with
    Samsung monitors, but I don't see much of a difference between
    brands in the same general price range.

I don't like buying monitors online, though. Electronics are
    generally good out-of-the-box or problems out-of-the-box.
    I like the idea of being able to return a product to the store if
    there are problems. I want same-day exchange, and don't want
    to risk shipping damage and delay.

Best Buy, in Spring Hill, has the Asus at $10 less than Amazon,
    but you will have to pay Florida sales tax of about $13 unless
    your county has a sales tax surcharge.

Best Buy has never given me a problem with an exchange,
    and I have had experience with defective products. Not
    of Best Buy's making, though.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2015
    Looks like a decent monitor; lots of features for a reasonable price. When buying computery things, check the reviews on Newegg, too. The main problem seems to be if you get a lemon (which can happen with anything).

As for ViewSonic, I used to be a big fan of their Pro series, but they've gotten worse over the years. I've had several failures at work. Happy with the newer Dell and Samsungs. I got these 27" Acers (G276HL) which are so cheap and light, but have been fantastic! But I don't use them for photos.

Hope the Asus works out for you!
    Chris
    edited April 19, 2015
    ChrisJ wrote: »
    Looks like a decent monitor; lots of features for a reasonable price. When buying computery things, check the reviews on Newegg, too. The main problem seems to be if you get a lemon (which can happen with anything).

As for ViewSonic, I used to be a big fan of their Pro series, but they've gotten worse over the years. I've had several failures at work. Happy with the newer Dell and Samsungs. I got these 27" Acers (G276HL) which are so cheap and light, but have been fantastic! But I don't use them for photos.

Hope the Asus works out for you!
    Thanks Chris and all for your comments.. all helps clap.gif The reviews on viewsonic were not too good.. breaking down in 18 month to 2 years and customer service apparently isn't as good as it used to be. I'm excited about his monitor... I'll let you know how it looks wings.giflynnma
    edited April 27, 2015
    Just in case anyone else is in the same situation as me :D My ASUS PB Series PB238Q 23-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor arrived and I love it... toned it down a bit brightness wise but color and clarity are beautiful... I'm very very happy.. shipped from Amazon by the way.. better deal than Newegg or B&H.
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    edited April 27, 2015
    Great! If it works for the first month, you're probably safe for the long haul. Happy monitoring!
    Chris
  • chaddchadd Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2015
    Just in case anyone else is in the same situation as me :D My ASUS PB Series PB238Q 23-Inch Screen LED-lit Monitor arrived and I love it... toned it down a bit brightness wise but color and clarity are beautiful... I'm very very happy.. shipped from Amazon by the way.. better deal than Newegg or B&H.
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Thanks for sharing this
    Just looking for a monitor.
    And specifications of this one look quite convenient to methumb.gif
  • alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2015
    What would you guys think of this monitor?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2515h.htm

From the conclusions

Pros
    Cons
    Nice low cost while still offering 2560 x 1440 resolution of the larger 27" models
    Missing DVI and VGA connections, may be limited for some
    Good default factory setup and excellent contrast ratio for an IPS panel
    IPS glow at normal levels, had maybe hoped for low-glow like recent U2414H
    Good response times and low lag
    Caution advised with small pixel pitch for some users.
    edited May 16, 2015
    alaios wrote: »
    What would you guys think of this monitor?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2515h.htm

Looks like a good screen at nice price. I've been happy with my 24" IPS Dells. The only thing I don't like is the touch-sensitive buttons... I'm much happier with physical push buttons, but I guess that helps keep the bezel small.
    Chris
  • OkinsonOkinson Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 26, 2015
    Hi Lynn,

Down here in france we have a guy who wrote some nice tutorials about color management, and I remember that in one of his articles he mentioned a monitor with very good specs for the price.
    That's the HP 23xi (that you can find here on amazon : http://goo.gl/FOwZu7 for $179 ) , and here is the website of "Arnaud Frich" where you can read his article : http://www.color-management-guide.com/photo-editing-monitors-buying-guide.html#1 (did not even know he had translated his website until now :p..).

Hope that helps ;).