Mini-Challenge #189 - Summertime, And The Livin' Is Easy

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited July 8, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
Mini-Challenge #189 - Summertime, And The Livin' Is Easy

To coincide with the first day of Summer - which is tomorrow - my wife suggested a "Summer" theme. I thought this was a good idea...
So, please select and submit images that capture something we might strongly associate with Summertime - I'm open to all ideas and I'll look forward
to seeing your creative, sublime, action-packed, or ??? images of the Summer season - typically outdoor, but surprise me with that unexpected indoor shot that screams Summer!
Please include a title or description.

Time period for this Mini will be: Today, June 20 thru Sunday, July 6 - 9:00 pm PST (California) ~ just a bit over 2 weeks.
With Fourth of July in there, it might provide some good shooting opportunities!

Cheers, thanks, and I hope y'all have a safe and fun Summer!

************************************************** *******************************************
Usual Stuff:

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and YOU POST 1-3 IMAGES. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

************************************************** *******************************************
Examples:

Jump in the Ocean
No%20Fear-XL.jpg

Outdoor Music Festival
Robin%20Henkel-XL.jpg

Build-Your-Own Boat Races
Boat%20Races-XL.jpg

Vacation Sight-Seeing
Sight%20Seeing-XL.jpg

Fun at the County Fair
The%20Fair-116-XL.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2014
    1. Summer Cruising!

an7o4760-hdrb2-XL.jpg

2. Cooling Off!

an7o0452b2%20%281%29b-XL.jpg

3. Summer Movie Night!

drive%20in%202%20d-XL.jpg
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2014
    #1 Soccer in a Cornfield
    dsc_0414-L.jpg

#2 Taking it Easy
    dsc_0767-L.jpg

#3 Old Lady Gets a Hole in One
    img_1853-L.jpg
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2014
    I have been thinking about this one. I have tried to pick only photos that were taken in the summertime. I wanted to use some photos taken on our boat, but if you are on the boat there's only so much distance between me and the person I'm photographing, and that is usually my husband and he is usually making a face.

So I'm giving you three in fairly wide time frames. Two from back in the days of film (one from 1960 and one from sometime in the 70s) and one from 2008

When I saw the theme, this photo (which I don't think is really very good) from sometime in the early 70's was the one I immediately thought of.

6232-95803_13.jpg

I think I took this at some kind of 4th of July BBQ in Rhode Island. It has a typical 70's look to it.

This is an earlier one in Pensacola FL - at the end of the school year the lady I was working for had a party at her house - we all tried water skiing. I was horrible at it. This is the group relaxing on the dock afterward.

0625-00330010.jpg

Bob is in the plaid shirt

The last one was taken CT in 2008

x100_1355.jpg
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 1, 2014
    This is a great theme! I will show some just for fun. Please do not select any for possible win.

1. Getting thrown Alaska style!
    0066jumpJMM08-L.jpg

2. The wrong way to catch a fish.
    JMMed7924-L.jpg

3. Summer swim with new goggles!
    JMM_3538-L.jpg
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2014
    1. Showing Off

20140620%20Family%20Visit%20Va-1064-2-XL.jpg

2. Lake Michigan

i-9RcwzXP-XL.jpg

3. Father and Daughter

20140620%20Family%20Visit%20Va-1015-XL.jpg
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2014
    Ha ha ha!
    grandmaR, your first picture is deja vu for me... I could have been one of those kids!
    We all looked like that... Levis (shorts were considered dorky), shaggy hair, sideburns, no shirt etc...
    The only thing missing is the exceptionally cheap beer we used to drink - generic brand, plain white can, with the word "Beer" on it... something like 5 bucks a case - cheap!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2014
    Laughing.gif - glad it provided you with a memory. The 70s was after my time - by 1971, I had four kids. And I never liked beer ever since my dad gave us warm German beer to drink on the train (in Germany) when I was 12.

I found another one from this event that I had forgotten about

6235-95803_14.jpg

Not for judging but I thought you might be interested
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2014
    Bleachers and lawn seats... Love those summer ballgames...
    Lawn%20Seats%20%26%20Downtown%201-L.jpg

Who cares about baseball when the ballpark has a splash pad?
    Splash%20Pad-L.jpg

Even the big kids get in on the fun
    Cooling%20off-L.jpg
    ~~Barbara
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2014
    Hope y'all had a pleasant holiday weekend!
    The mini-challenge is now closed - thanks to those who posted pics.
    I'll get the results up tomorrow.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2014
    I totally meant to post this on Sunday but I was wiped out from the holiday weekend, honest...

beachin' it
    i-tpJJNr7-X2.jpg

sunset fishin'
    DSCF3654-X3.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.