Photoshop CS2 tool issues. HELP please

Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
edited January 5, 2007 in Finishing School
Hello folks,

I'm having some issues with certain tools in Photoshop CS2. Some tools don't work at all. The following tools DO NOT perform their "usual" function.

SPOT HEALING BRUSH TOOL

HEALING BRUSH TOOL

PATCH TOOL

ERASE TOOL

BACKGROUND ERASE TOOL (magic erase tool DOES WORK)

BLUR TOOL

SHARPEN TOOL

SMUDGE TOOL

BRUSH TOOL

PENCIL TOOL

COLOR REPLACEMENT TOOL

HISTORY BRUSH TOOL

DODGE TOOL

BURN TOOL

SPONGE TOOL

all these tools are sort of similar in their technique of use..in that they all have a cursor type marker...that one moves with the moust to perform a similar function (in most cases)..ie. drawing, erasing...dodging an area by moving a marker/cursor. Don't know if this has anything to do with the problem.

My mouse seems to be operating normally in all other programs...so not sure it's a mouse issue...as it only seems to effect Photoshop CS2 tools.

ALL OTHER PHOTOSHOP TOOLS SEEM TO WORK PROPERLY (like crop, rotate, paint bucket fill..text tool , lasso tool ..everything else works properly.

I don't have any other layers ..so I don't think it's a layer issue. I am pretty sure I did not accidently turn some select function on/off that might cause this (but wouldn't rule it out..so if you think of something please let me know).

The opacity/tool function intensity was set at 100% for testing...so don't think it's a week power of the tool causing the problem.

These tools do not change the image..but the various cursor types do appear and the mouse does cause them to move about the image. Just no desired effect from the tools.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com

Comments

• Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    Some more info ... I did try to reboot Windows...no effect.

Reset/refreshed the tools....no effect.

I'm wondering if this could be a windows issue/conflict or something? I had my original HD die..so just had a new one installed...along with Windows XP HE. Had some validation issues with the Windows software and called Microsoft and got a new product code I'm suppose to enter and reinstall the software. This Windows issue didn't seem to cause problems with the OS ..but update downloads from Microsoft won't work because this copy failed the certification test..even though it's a legal copy. Problem here perhaps?

Didn't try reloading photoshop yet...as I need to uninstall the existing software first..and I don't want to do this if I don't have to.

Pass the sledgehammer please. bowdown.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    That's a bummer, Mike. I hope someone has a useful suggestion for you. Hate to say it, but if resetting Photoshop to its default settings doesn't work, maybe a delete/reinstall might be the best option.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 27, 2006
    Mike,

There is a key stroke sequence to press when opening Photoshop that restores the all preferences to default - ie: as shipped from Adobe. I am sorry, but I do not remember the keystrokes ( I am at work right now) but if you rummage around in most of the PhotoShop books or manuals it should pop up. I'd give that a try and see if it doesn't solve your problem.

You are not trying to use these tool in a empty layer where the tools do not function are you?? The CAPS lock key is not on??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2006
    BEFORE you do anything, try toggling your caps lock OFF. Caps Lock causes the pointer to change to a crosshair type pointer
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
    edited November 27, 2006
    Thanks guys. No empty layer(s)...no cap locks. Seems odd that some of the tool icons with drop down menu allow one of the 2 or 3 choices to work correctly. Hate to uninstall and reinstall until I rule out OS or CPU issues...as my original copy might alos not work..and then I lose some handout programs and have to install all the plug ins all over. Grrrrr

I'll google that key combo thing, Jim. Thanks. I'll give Adobe a yellin'..and see what they can tell me.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited November 27, 2006
    Probably isn't it, but the first thing I thought of is vector vs. raster mode. Might PS somehow be toggled and locked to vector?

Maybe a trip to an Adobe PS CS2 specific forum might help.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited November 27, 2006
    Thanks David. I'll check into the vector/raster mode issue. I have visited google and many PS forums in an attempt to resolve this. No luck yet. Sent off a message to Adobe..so we'll see.

Might just have to uninstall the darn thing and reinstall...along with all the plug ins , etc.

I can't help wonder if this is a mouse issue ? I think it's functioning correctly..but these tools require a left mouse button depression...and a mouse movement. I'll pull up the advance setting for the mouse and check. The mouse does work with the other tools thouigh. Very strange.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited November 28, 2006
    If it was a mouse issue, I'd think left clicking wouldn't work elsewhere. Try another pointing device just to be sure? Electromagnetic interference maybe?

Spyware/malware check?

Were there ever other layers in the affected image? Is it (was it) fully flattened?

Are there any selections in this image, a microscopic one perhaps?

Are all images creating this problem, even Open New images?
    My Smugmug
    edited November 28, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:

Spyware/malware check?

Checked regularly...so no...and virus scan also run.
    Were there ever other layers in the affected image? Is it (was it) fully flattened?

No layers used.
    Are there any selections in this image, a microscopic one perhaps?

Nope
    Are all images creating this problem, even Open New images?

Yes...opened several different images to test this out. Jpeg, tiff, RAW converted images...all have the same issues.

Thanks again.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited November 28, 2006
    OK, I'm just throwing out ideas here. You should know I don't have PS yet (it's on a truck heading this way as I type).

Any new plug-ins installed recently? And if so, are they all installed in the right folder? This was an issue on one of the Illustrator forums where a plug-in was somewhere it shouldn't have been and caused another Adobe program to lose its tools.

Another issue with a damaged Preferences file caused the program to lose some of its tools.

Customize Toolbar? Can a missing tool be added to a custom toolbar?

Is there a View > Tools > Reset in Photoshop? Or Layout > Reset?

8-bit editing vs. 16-bit editing mode issue? Some tools only work in 8-bit mode.
    My Smugmug
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited November 28, 2006
    Pass the sledgehammer please. bowdown.gif

Sounds like enemy action by aliens from the planet Zork to me. Unless you are really, really curious to get to the bottom of it, I think you might end up saving time by re-installing. Just my .02€.
  • justMEjustME Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    Everyone has given you good advice and good suggestions.
    If all else fails visit the Adobe Photoshop forums.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/
    Best of luck.
    Canon EOS 30D & 50D
    Arizona, USA
    http://justineolson.smugmug.com/

..........................................................................................
    edited November 28, 2006
    Thanks folks. If I don't hear from Adobe shortly..I guess I'll have to uninstall the program and reinstall. Just really didn't want to do that as I'll lose some stuff and also have to find and reload plugins. 'puters..grrrr.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited November 29, 2006
    Why would you lose the plug-ins? Just copy them to another folder then move them back to the re-created plugins folder later. Same with actions.
    My Smugmug
    edited November 29, 2006
    Thanks David. Tried that in the past and some of the plug ins didn't work correctly..maybe it was some quircky thing..and that might work..but there are some programs that the computer repair guy installed that I'll lose..that were put on in an attempt to appease me in hopes of extinguishing my anger for dealing with a screw up. (refering to the tech guy).

I'm wondering if this is an Adobe activation issue?? I really hate this activation crap. You buy a legal coy of PSCS2 and they make it difficult/annoying to reload it on another HD or machine. If you pay that much $$$ for the software you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to reload PSCS2 on another machine. What do you folks that buy a new PC every year do??

Does this sound like an activatin issue? Would the software not even load if activation was not on the up and up? I was assured (not meaning much I know) that the software was legal and legit.

Still no word back from ADobe ....
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited November 29, 2006
    Thanks David. Tried that in the past and some of the plug ins didn't work correctly..maybe it was some quircky thing..and that might work..but there are some programs that the computer repair guy installed that I'll lose..that were put on in an attempt to appease me in hopes of extinguishing my anger for dealing with a screw up.

I'm wondering if this is an Adobe activation issue?? I really hate this activation crap. You buy a legal coy of PSCS2 and they make it difficult/annoying to reload it on another HD or machine. If you pay that much $$$ for the software you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to reload PSCS2 on another machine. What do you folks that buy a new PC every year do??

Does this sound like an activatin issue? Would the software not even load if activation was not on the up and up? I was assured (not meaning much I know) that the software was legal and legit.

Still no word back from ADobe ....

If this were an activation issue, I think it would be a case of cruel and unusual punishment. Only Adobe can say for sure, but I rather doubt it.

One thought: could you be attempting to work on a locked layer or read-only image? Try starting with a new canvas, then see if you can paint something and modify it. I realize that's pretty unlikely to be your problem, but it will only take a minute or two to test. ne_nau.gif
    edited November 29, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    If this were an activation issue, I think it would be a case of cruel and unusual punishment. Only Adobe can say for sure, but I rather doubt it.

One thought: could you be attempting to work on a locked layer or read-only image? Try starting with a new canvas, then see if you can paint something and modify it. I realize that's pretty unlikely to be your problem, but it will only take a minute or two to test. ne_nau.gif

Thanks for looking Richard. I had tried PSCS2 with several of my own images (raw conver, tiff, jpeg) and it didn't matter which/what files were used. Still no results with the mentioned tools.

I had not tried a new blank window...but just did. Same issues. No locked or multiple layers.

I've spent hours on google trying to find some info..but no luck. Adobe is taking their time getting back to me. If I don't get this resolved by Friday I'll just uninstall and star over. I'll lose some software and probably have some plug in issues..but this isn't cutting it now. headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

Between Microsoft and Adobe it's been a wonderful week. deal.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 29, 2006
    Are you sure the images you're working on are 8-bit?

Many tools do not work on 16-bit files.
    edited November 29, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    Are you sure the images you're working on are 8-bit?

Many tools do not work on 16-bit files.

2-bit....4-bit 6-bit.....a buck... even 8 & 16-bit. :D All these tools worked with my images prior to the new HD and reinstallation of the software.

Thanks Angelo.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited November 29, 2006
    Angelo is correct that ceratin tools do not work on 16 bit images - I just can't tell ya which off the top of my head.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited November 29, 2006
    FINALLY. clap.gif :ivar wings.gif

I think I resolvedthe issues. I stumbled on a forum post regarding the same problem. Despite googling for a couple days...I was actually searching for something else and found the following post(s)

Know what it was? My Wacom tablet. I had set the cordless mouse on the tablet....once removed things worked again. What a stumper that was. So...if you're interested in that post here it is.

http://groups.google.com/group/adobe.photoshop.windows/browse_thread/thread/ed2da151915a06f8/9c8803c3bcd60b4e?lnk=st&q=photoshop+tools+don%27t+work+16-bit&rnum=9&hl=en#9c8803c3bcd60b4e

What a PITA this was. Guess if Adobe ever gets back to me and they don't have a clue..I can let them know.

The default on my EOS viewer (often used for quick conversions) is preset on 8 bit.. but another good bit of info.

Thanks again to all that offered up help.

Regards
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited November 29, 2006

I think I resolvedthe issues. I stumbled on a forum post regarding the same problem. Despite googling for a couple days...I was actually searching for something else and found the following post(s)

Know what it was? My Wacom tablet. I had set the cordless mouse on the tablet....once removed things worked again. What a stumper that was. So...if you're interested in that post here it is.

http://groups.google.com/group/adobe.photoshop.windows/browse_thread/thread/ed2da151915a06f8/9c8803c3bcd60b4e?lnk=st&q=photoshop+tools+don%27t+work+16-bit&rnum=9&hl=en#9c8803c3bcd60b4e

What a PITA this was. Guess if Adobe ever gets back to me and they don't have a clue..I can let them know.

The default on my EOS viewer (often used for quick conversions) is preset on 8 bit.. but another good bit of info.

Regards

well, OF COURSE!!! You never told us you had a Wacom tablet. Any one of us could've told you THAT was the problem! Sheeeeeesh!!!!

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    edited November 29, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    well, OF COURSE!!! You never told us you had a Wacom tablet. Any one of us could've told you THAT was the problem! Sheeeeeesh!!!!

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I wasn't using the tablet...or the pen. I was using my infrared mouse. eek7.gif:D Sorry..I thought I covered all the important info. Damn that was pissin' me off. Glad I stumbled on that post. wings.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited November 29, 2006
    I wasn't using the tablet...or the pen. I was using my infrared mouse. eek7.gif:D Sorry..I thought I covered all the important info. Damn that was pissin' me off. Glad I stumbled on that post. wings.gif

Glad you're finally back on-track! thumb.gif
    edited November 29, 2006
    Thanks...I can't believe that was causing the issues. Wow...what a quirky thing. You can bet I never put that mouse on the tablet again j/k. :D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
    edited November 29, 2006
    Glad it works now. Drawing tablets can be affected by electromagnetic interference.
    My Smugmug
    edited November 30, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Glad it works now. Drawing tablets can be affected by electromagnetic interference.
    Which--as you well know--comes from alien spacecraft.

:s85
    edited November 30, 2006
    ...as can this forum. nod.gif

:s85
    :D
    My Smugmug
    edited November 30, 2006
    Is that what those little green things are...inside my camera, aliens? That explains a lot. :D I think Adobe should have called the spot healing tool the "Alien Eradication Phaser "
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • BillBill Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 3, 2007
    Wacom - wow!

Regards

I have been looking for the answer to the same problem for a couple of months....and yes...I have a Wacom tablet...on which I use a Wacom mouse. I fired up Photoshop CS2 and what do you know...my tools work...if I don't use the mouse. What good is the graphics tablet if you can't use it with photoshop?

Thanks for the help and posting to this forum...which I joined now just to send this message of thanks.

This just may be a little better than Boise State beating Oklahoma yesterday....well...maybe not...but it really helps.

Bill