Options

Donna in window light

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited March 26, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
DSC_3285-Edit-XL.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2016
    Fantastic portrait!clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2016
    Wonderful lighting. The colors in her dress add to the ethereal effect.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2016
    Totally beautiful!!! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2016
    Interesting capture. I'd be tempted to try that in sepia or some
    other aged effect.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited March 20, 2016
    Very nice thumb.gif. The light, the pose, the costume all work well together. One nit though: the red stripes outside the window are a little jarring to the tranquil scene. I'd crop or blur and radically desaturate them.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2016
    Richard wrote: »
    Very nice thumb.gif. The light, the pose, the costume all work well together. One nit though: the red stripes outside the window are a little jarring to the tranquil scene. I'd crop or blur and radically desaturate them.

Actually to me the piece of the US flag seen through the window gives authenticity and the sense of place.

How would somebody know that the lady and the whole scenery is in US?

The red also balances on the diagonal the red little rose(s) on the fabric, so, to me it adds to the composition.
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2016
    travelways wrote: »
    How would somebody know that the lady and the whole scenery is in US?
    Not sure why that matters. My first reaction was that it reminded me of a famous Vermeer painting. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2016
    Not sure why that matters. My first reaction was that it reminded me of a famous Vermeer painting. ne_nau.gif

Yes, it does reminds of Vermeer but this is another subject.

To me the authenticity is a plus to a piece of artwork, especially that this one is a realistic, descriptive one.

If it was an abstract or surreal, or something like that, of course the sense of place wouldn't apply, but it this case I enjoy being able to have the clue of where this scenery happens...
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2016
    Y
    To me the authenticity is a plus to a piece of artwork, especially that this one is a realistic, descriptive one.
    Authenticity is a strange term to apply to a recreation. Authentic theme park? Hmmm...
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2016
    Authenticity is a strange term to apply to a recreation. Authentic theme park? Hmmm...

:)
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2016
    Just to be clear: I don't think there's anything wrong with shooting theme parks--Wayne has posted some great stuff from there and this is one of the better ones, IMO. It's just that I don't think that the normal standards of documentary photography regarding authenticity are applicable, so it becomes a matter of the nicest image possible. I objected to the flag on aesthetic grounds only, and of course, YMMV.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2016
    Taz, Joe, Tony, Tatiana, Richard...thanks so much for looking at the shot. I found the comments on the flag to be both interesting and constructive in nature. Thank you Richard and Tatiana for that.
    As most of you know, a large part of my photography at the moment is focused in Colonial Williamsburg. Colonial Williamsburg is an attempt (under the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation) to recreate as accurately as historically possible (based on archival, architectural and archeological research) the colonial capitol of Virginia and depicts that location as it existed just before the Revolutionary War. The effort includes making this 18th century town a living, functioning community. The trades people pictured in most of my recent and soon to come postings are "real" experts in their respective fields. Donna is an expert on materials from the colonial period and has trained in the Margaret Hunter Shop (where this shot was taken) for years and now has several apprentices (a six year program) under her instruction. In this shot, she is actually making a light women's jacket which will likely be worn by another Colonial Williamsburg employee as part of their apparel. I'm just noting this so that you can understand the talent these experts possess. But I just want to clarify that the subjects in the picture are performing very real "jobs". Others around Colonial Williamsburg depend on these various trade shops for historically accurate clothing, farm tools (forged at the Blacksmith Shop), cups, pots, pans, pierced and glass pane lanterns made in the Tinsmith Shop, carpentry repairs done by those working in various woodworking shops and even repairs of the guns which are actually fired by the local "militia"at the Gunsmith Shop. Just this week, Brett in the Shoemaker Shop was making a pair of shoes for Dave (works in the Printing Press Shop) and was putting an extra sole on the shoe because Dave kept wearing them out so rapidly.

The flag you see a piece of in the window is a replica of the "Continental Flag" (the first official flag of the 13 colonies) which is flown in front of any shop that is "open" ...it lets visitors know when they glance down any street which shops are open and which might be closed (no flag)...so around here we get "desensitized" to seeing either a flag (or a piece of a flag) in almost any picture you see of Colonial Williamsburg, i.e. they are everywhere! As to the discussion I found it interesting and very constructive from the fact that I forgot that if you haven't looked at many pictures from here...that would stand out immediately. For us local photographers...it's more of a "Oh, you got a little of the shop flag through the window...nice"...reaction. So I forgot that it would look a little out of place (or the red stripe colors) to others but I totally agree with the points made on both sides of that discussion.

So...again...thanks for taking the time. It is sincerely appreciated!!! You'll see more trades people shots to come...just remember they are not "acting"...and are not "reenactors" as they actually do perform their respect artisan trades daily and that in and around Colonial Williamsburg others depend on the products they happen to be making. Thanks again! wings.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited March 21, 2016
    I didn't know anything about what you were doing, but congratulations for participating in this great project.

Wonderful contribution! I think that what you did with this photography portraits it very well!
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2016
    I didn't know anything about what you were doing, but congratulations for participating in this great project.

Wonderful contribution! I think that what you did with this photography portraits it very well!

Thanks, Tatiana. bowdown.gif
    I do volunteer as a historical guide in Colonial Williamsburg and spend a lot of time there capturing the scenes with my camera. The people that work here are simply amazing to watch and to get to know.

• Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2016
    Very nice, Wayne! I tend to agree with Richard about the red flag, although I understood why you might include it.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2016
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Very nice, Wayne! I tend to agree with Richard about the red flag, although I understood why you might include it.

Thank you, Don. I always look forward to your input. It is much appreciated.

• Options
    EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2016
    I really like everything about this! And I think the flag adds to it. It shows the history and the patriotism back in the day and desperately needed for today. I don't think the colors take away from it at all. After all it is a window shot and it looks like I can peer out the window too!clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    I really like everything about this! And I think the flag adds to it. It shows the history and the patriotism back in the day and desperately needed for today. I don't think the colors take away from it at all. After all it is a window shot and it looks like I can peer out the window too!clap.gifclapclap.gif

AnnaMaria, thank you for the kind comments and taking the time to assess the shot. I very much appreciate it! bowdown.gifbow

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2016
    I don't recall ever disagreeing with Richard or Don.......but I find myself on side of the flag......mainly because I am a sucker for anything Patriotic.

Here, to me flag is almost needed.....because this is not a painting, but a photograph....
    If such a photograph was taken, one would wonder why was one dressed up like that? Do people exist for whom this is normal wardrobe?
    The flag to me ties it all together.....
    If you didn't know anything about the background that Wayne provided, you would probably guess what the image represents, thanks to the flag!
    It instantly represents a joyous ride in a time machine to olden days.....
    As Anna Maria said, we need that kind of Patriotism, however cliche, now more than ever!

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    I don't recall ever disagreeing with Richard or Don.......but I find myself on side of the flag......mainly because I am a sucker for anything Patriotic.

Here, to me flag is almost needed.....because this is not a painting, but a photograph....
    If such a photograph was taken, one would wonder why was one dressed up like that? Do people exist for whom this is normal wardrobe?
    The flag to me ties it all together.....
    If you didn't know anything about the background that Wayne provided, you would probably guess what the image represents, thanks to the flag!
    It instantly represents a joyous ride in a time machine to olden days.....
    As Anna Maria said, we need that kind of Patriotism, however cliche, now more than ever!

Cheers!

Taz, ALWAYS appreciate you input and comments! Thanks for taking the time to provide your thoughts. bowdown.gif

• Options
    willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2016
    That is a nice portrait, Wayne. It takes advantage of the wonderful light.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata