The Blacksmith in low light.

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited March 22, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
DSC_3599-Edit-3-XL.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,828 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2016
    I like this one Wayne. Wonderful mood.

Cheers, Sara
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2016
    Window light, framing, darkness in background, all sweet!thumb.gif
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2016
    Very, very nice!!!!
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2016
    Sara, Taz, Anna Maria...thanks for taking the time to look at the shot and comment. Very much appreciated. bowdown.gifbow
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2016
    I'm not buying it, he's too clean :)

Congrats on 2000 posts !

Cheers, Don
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2016
    Very nice!
    edited March 22, 2016
    Don Kondra wrote: »
    I'm not buying it, he's too clean :)

Congrats on 2000 posts !

Cheers, Don

I rest my case, Don.

DSC_3637-Edit-XL.jpg

edited March 22, 2016
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Very nice!

Thanks, Don.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,828 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2016
    Oooo, I like this one even better!
    edited March 22, 2016
    The problem with the second one is the blown-out flame. Once I notice it, I can't look at anything else. It would be tough to take that shot without blowing out the flame. It appears that you tried to reduce the highlights to fix it but I think you'd be better off just leaving it blown out. I'd also consider lowering the bright tones on the brickwork behind his head.
    edited March 22, 2016
    Oooo, I like this one even better!

Thanks, Sara! bowdown.gif
    The problem with the second one is the blown-out flame. Once I notice it, I can't look at anything else. It would be tough to take that shot without blowing out the flame. It appears that you tried to reduce the highlights to fix it but I think you'd be better off just leaving it blown out. I'd also consider lowering the bright tones on the brickwork behind his head.

Good points, Don but the problem the blacksmith shop environment presents is the stark contrast between the flame (which can generate a heat of 3000 F in the center of those coals and a very bright light) and the dark environment which exist otherwise in the room (no lights except window light). In addition, if you are interested in freezing the motion of the subject (he is constantly moving) in order to get sharp facial features ...you also must sacrifice low shutter speed which would have been a luxury and settle for a very wide aperture (f 5.6 on this lens at 100mm) and high ISO (12800 for this shot). The lowest shutter speed I use when trying to "freeze" the subject is 1/60 and at that setting you still must wait for a moment when the body movements of the subject are at times paused...in this shot he had essentially stopped moving his left arm (which he is using to work the forge bellows) for a moment so I took the shot. Given those settings and the fact that I wanted to capture all of the hanging tongs and anvil behind him, your going to get a very bright fire and exacerbate any other object that might be lighted. The light you noted on the bricks behind his head is due to the window light which emanates from out of the scene to the left. The look of the fire "untouched" is simply a bright globe of light with minimal resemblance to flame. I actually left the light alone on the brickwork behind his head because for me it adds a sense of depth to the picture. If the background environment is not desired in the shot...you can shoot at more limited exposure settings and get a nice image of just the fire and lighted surfaces of the subject with essentially no background which I have done as well.
    As always ...thanks for taking the time! bowdown.gif

edited March 22, 2016
    I understand the difficulty. Leaving aside the last image, these sound like circumstances where a fill flash might help.
    edited March 22, 2016
    I understand the difficulty. Leaving aside the last image, these sound like circumstances where a fill flash might help.

Good point but they generally discourage flash photography in the trade shops for obvious reasons.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,880 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2016
    Both are great shotsclap.gifclap

I agree with Cornflake on his comment about the blown out flame, regardless I think it is a great pic. 12800 ISO, seriously? Wow.
    edited March 22, 2016
    Juano wrote: »
    Both are great shotsclap.gifclap

I agree with Cornflake on his comment about the blown out flame, regardless I think it is a great pic. 12800 ISO, seriously? Wow.

Cristóbal...as ALWAYS your thoughts are very much appreciated and highly valued! Thank you.