Options

Someone wants to rent my car

RebelSolRebelSol Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited August 8, 2012 in Weddings
to use for a wedding shoot. It's a 54 Vette. How much would you charge if it were you?

Aug-4-Car-Show-034-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited August 7, 2012
    I have no idea.

What I would do is look around and see if there are similar rentals and use that as a guide. I would probably call my insurance agent and find out whether I was covered-not just for your car but your assets. Lots to consider. Good luck.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    Thank you....hadn't thought of that. :) you are right. Lots to consider!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    $100 for a couple of hours
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    dspdsp Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    I wouldn't do it.
    At least do like Ian recommends and check with your insurance, depending on the type of registration and insurance (antique, agreed value, etc) there could be restrictions on its use, a lot of times hiring out for events is high on the list of prohibitions.
    If you do it, make sure they are insured for any possible damage that might occur during the shoot.
    Sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2012
    dsp wrote: »
    I wouldn't do it.
    At least do like Ian recommends and check with your insurance, depending on the type of registration and insurance (antique, agreed value, etc) there could be restrictions on its use, a lot of times hiring out for events is high on the list of prohibitions.
    If you do it, make sure they are insured for any possible damage that might occur during the shoot.
    Sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen.
    this.
    I wouldn't let ANYONE touch this beauty.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    Thank you! I love it. It's my bday present.
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2012
    Liability is all around, car, Groom, Bride, lack of insurance, not permitted to use for commercial, etc.

DON'T DO IT.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!deal.gif
    Carlos
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2012
    RebelSol wrote: »
    to use for a wedding shoot. It's a 54 Vette. How much would you charge if it were you?

[\QUOTE]

Depends, do they want to drive it or just take pictures near it?

I wouldn't let anyone touch it, but if they want to take pictures on or near it, I'd consider a flat fee + cost of re-detailing the car, with something in writing who states who is responsibile for paying for any damage.

And just assume, at a wedding shoot, that there will be damage.
  • Options
    naknak Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2012
    If you rent it, your existing insurance most likely does NOT cover it.

As the driver of an exotic, I can offer some advice. But first call your insurance agent. If you take money to do anything with the car, they need to be happy. They may be able to find a one-day policy that covers agreed upon value of the car as well as a big chunk of liability, lists the permitted drivers, etc. Pass that price along to the would-be renter. That alone may cause them to bow out.

To lessen the risk:

0. Don't take any money. That gets your insurance back in the game. Maybe.

1. Make sure that they are insured and that your agent agrees that they have sufficient coverage and that the value of the car is agreed upon in advance by whichever company would do the paying. Valuation on a car like yours is very tricky.

2. You do all the driving. You can deliver the bride to the church, for example. Anyone can sit behind the wheel when it's not moving. The happy couple can sit in it like they are going to drive away. But the keys stay in your possession at all times and only you actually drive it.

The exotic car community has horror stories where friends, valets, girlfriends, or family has done something unspeakable to a nice ride. Some of those unspeakable things involved other people, buildings, and telephone poles (all at the same time, including downed power lines hampering medical responders). You really want to know who is in the legal food chain and how well covered they are.

"Anyone can sit in it, but only the owner gets to drive it."

My agreement with my son is that he can drive my Lotus when the day comes that he has one of his own that I can drive.