Star trails at EMC Raisting

pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
edited December 4, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
Beautiful%20Bavaria-5110_star%20trail-X2.jpg

Here's a star trail shot from EMC Raisting in Germany. Only managed 19 minutes of light before the camera dewed up, and it was time to go somewhere warm. But it turned out ok I think, even with imperfections left in the image :)

What do you think?
Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/

Comments

• catcher33catcher33 Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2014
    i like the plane traces that show up
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited November 24, 2014
    very nice!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2014
    I'm relocating to your part of the world soon, glad to see that my astrophotography doesn't have to die completely. I've had luck in the Alps, but was thinking that the lowland urban areas would be the death of my hobby. It doesn't look like you used a dedicated shot for the foreground. I like your white balance and exposure for the sky, but I think if you made a dedicated image for the foreground and layered it on top of the final sky image, that you could improve the look of the foreground, vis-à-vis improving the white balance and exposure in the structures.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2014
    That is cool. I like the human elements.... everything about this shouts space!
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2014
    Very nice
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2014
    catcher33 wrote: »
    David_S85 wrote: »
    very nice!
    Eia wrote: »
    That is cool. I like the human elements.... everything about this shouts space!
    travelways wrote: »
    Very nice

Thank you all :D

I like to put some context to these and the massive radio antennas were just the thing. Very spacey waycey mwink.gif
    Creativity's hard.

edited November 24, 2014
    JC wrote:
    I'm relocating to your part of the world soon, glad to see that my astrophotography doesn't have to die completely. I've had luck in the Alps, but was thinking that the lowland urban areas would be the death of my hobby. It doesn't look like you used a dedicated shot for the foreground. I like your white balance and exposure for the sky, but I think if you made a dedicated image for the foreground and layered it on top of the final sky image, that you could improve the look of the foreground, vis-à-vis improving the white balance and exposure in the structures.

Thanks for your feedback!

Raisting is more rural than urban, at least enough to get you out of the worst of the light pollution.
    The white balance in the fore comes from strobe light with FL-gels, or as I think of it, alien green.. mwink.gif You're right; It's not a masked in dedicated shot, but I thought the image found a decent balance between my green strobes and EMC's own lighting.
    Creativity's hard.

• JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2014
    pyry wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback!

Raisting is more rural than urban, at least enough to get you out of the worst of the light pollution.
    The white balance in the fore comes from strobe light with FL-gels, or as I think of it, alien green.. mwink.gif You're right; It's not a masked in dedicated shot, but I thought the image found a decent balance between my green strobes and EMC's own lighting.

Ah, the foreground lighting makes sense now. I'd like to play around with this location, and get close to the ground, shooting up at the antennae, and maybe getting those two overexposed lights at the bottom out of the image. (or, in a dedicated foreground shot, increasing the strobe light so you can do a shorter exposure and not blow out those lights).

Nice shot as is though. I've had a few locations, north of Frankfurt, Strasbourg, near Stuttgart that I've wanted to try some startrails at, but it's always been cloudy!
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited November 25, 2014
    catcher33 wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif Very cool combination of elements.
    edited November 26, 2014
    JC wrote: »
    Ah, the foreground lighting makes sense now. I'd like to play around with this location, and get close to the ground, shooting up at the antennae, and maybe getting those two overexposed lights at the bottom out of the image. (or, in a dedicated foreground shot, increasing the strobe light so you can do a shorter exposure and not blow out those lights).

Nice shot as is though. I've had a few locations, north of Frankfurt, Strasbourg, near Stuttgart that I've wanted to try some startrails at, but it's always been cloudy!

Go for it. It's not fenced off, and there's about 30 antennas to choose from, some lit and some not. Bring your wellies, it's basically in a field :)
    Creativity's hard.

edited November 26, 2014
    Richard wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif Very cool combination of elements.
    Thank you Richard :D
    Creativity's hard.

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2014
    Very spacy!
    Randy
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2014
    Howdy Prvy,

Very neat capture, I'll bet it was a
    surreal feeling being there among them !!!

I too like the plane trails?
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited December 4, 2014
    rwells wrote: »
    Very spacy!

Spacey wacey, timey wimey rolleyes1.gif
    Creativity's hard.

edited December 4, 2014
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Prvy,

Very neat capture, I'll bet it was a
    surreal feeling being there among them !!!

I too like the plane trails?

Thanks!

Adding to the surreallism was the quiet. Those antennas point at geostationary satellites so they generally don't move. And then one of them makes a short correction, whirr!
    Creativity's hard.