Options

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
edited November 30, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
A visitor showed up at my home yesterday in this, a luxury hybrid that I'd never heard of. So I grabbed a few snapshots, as best as I could in our cul de sac.

i-NZ2BmTS-X2.jpg

i-Gxw7nqz-X2.jpg

i-bz7sqfT-X2.jpg

i-VhqLpRN-X2.jpg

i-LLdSvvg-X2.jpg

i-RhndbTt-X2.jpg

i-DFvmWZp-X2.jpg

i-kNfZpD4-X2.jpg

i-6dxTd8w-X2.jpg

i-bTW4W3z-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited November 25, 2014
    I always liked the Fisker. Saw one at Pebble Beach a couple of years ago. They have a habit of catching fire tho. Hopefully, that's all worked out now lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    I always liked the Fisker. Saw one at Pebble Beach a couple of years ago. They have a habit of catching fire tho. Hopefully, that's all worked out now lol3.gif
    Maybe not. The original company went out of business and was sold on the auction block for peanuts to Chinese billionaire who plans on resurrecting the company, "with a few changes". deal.gif
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Maybe not. The original company went out of business and was sold on the auction block for peanuts to Chinese billionaire who plans on resurrecting the company, "with a few changes". deal.gif

Judging from my experience with Chinese LEDs, this might not be a good thing lol3.gif
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2014
    Very nice series, Joel. thumb.gif

The Fisker story is all too common in the specialty car market....some good ideas stifled by a lack of funds. In this case, an out-sized ego and a strong case of naiveté didn't help either.

You're a closet car shooter now, Joel, you might as well come out in the open.:D

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    Judging from my experience with Chinese LEDs, this might not be a good thing lol3.gif
    That and dog food. :giggle
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2014
    Very nice series, Joel. thumb.gif

The Fisker story is all too common in the specialty car market....some good ideas stifled by a lack of funds. In this case, an out-sized ego and a strong case of naiveté didn't help either.

You're a closet car shooter now, Joel, you might as well come out in the open.:D

Tom

Thanks, Tom! I was hoping you'd check in. Your car work has always been an inspiration to me.

Although honestly this isn't my first rodeo. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited November 26, 2014
    That and dog food. :giggle

I've managed to stay away from that.
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2014
    Thanks, Tom! I was hoping you'd check in. Your car work has always been an inspiration to me.

Although honestly this isn't my first rodeo. mwink.gif

By all means, it's not your first rodeo. I remember well some really nice work you've done. But it has been a spell since you've posted any cars. A natural flair, as you have, for this kind of shooting needs to be shared more often. Let them roll.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 29, 2014
    Lovely looking car, but Consumer Reports says that 98% of Tesla S owners would buy their car again - it very hard to get any group of people to agree at the 98% level. Elon must be doing something right!

But the Fisker is a very nice looking car, just the same!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2014
    The Tesla is a really nice car. The fit, finish, and customer service. Plus, they are committing to a charging station network that's essentially free. I keep meaning to stop by the dealer and have a look at one. I would like to visit the plant-it's not too far away and it's where my Tacoma was built :D

The new H2 cars that are coming out will probably give the electrics a real run for the money.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,185 moderator
    edited November 30, 2014
    Our local Tesla "store" is right next door to the Apple store. Bets would be I'd be spending my money sooner at the Apple store, but if I was younger, single, and wealthier, I might very well pop for something at either place. We can actually test drive one in our state. I haven't yet. Beautiful machines. There was a day when I went out to do a "cart run" where I work and there were two parked next to each other. It was a long cart run.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 30, 2014
    I did drive the Tesla S in Denver when I was visiting my brother in law. Very fast car indeed.

I see you're right, Ian, they are definitely coming to southern California - http://www.toyota.com/fuelcell/fcv.html

And now back to Joel's Fiskar pictures. I wonder how many days in the sun is required to charge the batteries with the solar panels on the roof?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2014
    Jim, good question about the solar panels in the roof. I'm not sure how effective they are, but they sure look cool. Remember, this is a hybrid, so they have an engine to recharge the batteries as well. I'm sure every little bit helps.

This was actually the company car of a friend who's trying to recruit me for an engineering position there. In a previous life I would have jumped on it in a second. But I'm pretty focused on photography these days, and trying diligently to stay away from tech. This is actually the second time I've been approached to join startups in the past year or so by old cronies I've worked with in the past. The other one was another super-interesting job in the transportation sector as well. Good to know there's still a lot of cutting-edge innovation and engineering happening in the good old USA these days.