Italian Thunder

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited December 9, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
Once Ferrari hit the scene in the later 1940s, the face of sports car racing worldwide changed forever. This gorgeous 1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB ( short wheel base ) Berlinetta Scaglietti Competizione model is #30 of 165 made. It enjoyed a successful racing career run by privateers. It's also one of the prettiest Ferrari's ever made.

Amelia%202013%20042-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20039-X3.jpg

Way before Ferrari, Maseratti, and other manufacturers entered the scene, Alfa Romeo ruled the Italian racing world....particularly during the 1930s. This car here is a 1931 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Zagato Spyder. An earlier version of this car won the infamous Mille Meglia race in 1929. If you raced during that period, this was the car you wanted in your stable.

Amelia%202013%20246-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20245-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2014
    Alfa Romeo for me!!clap.giflust
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 30, 2014
    I think I'd take the Ferrari. Never knew such a thing existed. Thanks for bringing us these amazing cars, Tom. bowdown.gif
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2014
    Outstanding, Tom! I've always been a sucker for a beautiful Ferrari, and I love the 250s.
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    Great shots of some beautiful classics. The Ferrari is great styling and the Alfa Romeo is pretty. BUT I'll take the white convertible next to the Alfa Romeo please!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Alfa Romeo for me!!clap.giflust

Hard not to go with that choice, Taz. The car is fascinating.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited December 1, 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    I think I'd take the Ferrari. Never knew such a thing existed. Thanks for bringing us these amazing cars, Tom. bowdown.gif

Thanks for the visit, Joel. This is only the second time I can remember seeing this particular model of a Ferrari. Being able to touch and feel these cars in person is a thrill I never tire of. I'm glad I can share my experiences with other forum members.

See you,

Tom
    edited December 1, 2014
    moose135 wrote: »
    Outstanding, Tom! I've always been a sucker for a beautiful Ferrari, and I love the 250s.

Great to hear from you, John. I'm with you....the 250s have been a favorite of mine a long time. These rare variations....the Berlinetta Scaglietti Competizione models....are truly special.

take care,

Tom
    edited December 1, 2014
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Great shots of some beautiful classics. The Ferrari is great styling and the Alfa Romeo is pretty. BUT I'll take the white convertible next to the Alfa Romeo please!

It's great to have you look in, Jo. Thanks for the visit.

Well, you certainly have an eye for beauty. That white convertible is a 1936 lancia Astura. It's a classic example of rolling automotive art that was typical of the period. I tried....but was never able....to get a nice, clear shot of the car. The crowds at this show have been horrendous.

Take care,

Tom
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    Who makes names like this? "Berlinetta Scaglietti Competizione"

I couldn't even pronounce the name to buy one, even if I had a gazillion dollars!

Nice job on adjusting the exposure, as the camera was surely confused.
    Randy
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2014
    rwells wrote: »
    Who makes names like this? "Berlinetta Scaglietti Competizione"
    It just rolls off the tongue if you're Italian. :D

Really, it's easy...
    Berlinetta - Italian for "little saloon", it usually refers to sporty coupes
    Scaglietti - The name of the company that did design and body work for Ferrari, founded by Sergio Scaglietti
    Competizione - Competition, or racing model

...and sounds so much sexier than saying all those things in English! thumb.gif
    rwells wrote: »
    I couldn't even pronounce the name to buy one, even if I had a gazillion dollars!
    Just bring one of Tom's photos to the dealer, point and say "I want one..." rolleyes1.gif
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2014
    Thanks Tom, I always enjoy reading the historical context as much as the photos.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2014
    Those Alfas were very good in the 50's

I had a 52 900cc Spyder (convertible), 4 cyl overhead cam, DeDion rear end (both wheels were powered), roll up windows (many were not)

I used to commute from Boston to NYC weekends, 90mph on the curvy Hudson Pkwy - 35 - 40 mph on early Michelins

The Italian gov't owned the company then, maybe after the war they're the only entity with money (Marshall Plan?)

These are nice shots of nice cars..

Well done
    Rags
    edited December 8, 2014
    Juano wrote: »
    Thanks Tom, I always enjoy reading the historical context as much as the photos.

Thanks for the look-see. I always try and include some back-story if I happen to know some pertinent stuff.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
    edited December 8, 2014
    torags wrote: »
    Those Alfas were very good in the 50's

I had a 52 900cc Spyder (convertible), 4 cyl overhead cam, DeDion rear end (both wheels were powered), roll up windows (many were not)

I used to commute from Boston to NYC weekends, 90mph on the curvy Hudson Pkwy - 35 - 40 mph on early Michelins

The Italian gov't owned the company then, maybe after the war they're the only entity with money (Marshall Plan?)

These are nice shots of nice cars..

Well done

One of my fraternity brothers had a 1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce. Darn, that thing was beautiful. Many a time, when he had extracurricular activities planned that would benefit from a back seat, we would swap cars for the evening. I think I put more miles on that Alfa than he did. At least I was successful in keeping him out of my apartment.

Thanks for the visit,

Tom
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2014
    Howdy You Rascal,

WOW, more beauties, I can only imagine the
    sounds so those motors make out running
    through the Countryside.

I'd love to see one of those shows someday,
    that has to be a rush seeing that collection
    in one place.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited December 9, 2014
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy You Rascal,

WOW, more beauties, I can only imagine the
    sounds so those motors make out running
    through the Countryside.

I'd love to see one of those shows someday,
    that has to be a rush seeing that collection
    in one place.

I tell you, Craig, sensory overload is a real risk at one of these top shows. You would think that by now, after years of intense involvement, I would become somewhat jaded to the whole scene. Not so. I can't describe the thrill of coming up on a car...one you've read about for years...and suddenly, there it is, right before your eyes. Man, that's really heady stuff for an incorrigible car nut like myself.

You and KK enjoy your travels. You've earned it.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2014
    Thanks for the information about the 1936 lancia Astura, Tom. I think its my new favorite classic. iloveyou.gif
    We are into "fat-fender" classics in this house (41 chevy and 37 Plymouth) - and I think I'll consider the Lancia a fat-fender and try to talk my way into one!!