Options

Different Backgrounds

lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
edited December 8, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
Crucifix at our church in Midland, Mi. I took the shot at a fair distance on a tripod to get a straight on perspective. Closed viewfinder and used remote trigger. Manual white balance and ambient light.

Then I replaced the backgrounds and finally added a black background to the one I like the most. Used refine edge in PS to ensure a good transition - hopefully.

Comments are truly welcome. Phil

1. Original image and true background.

2014%20Advent%20Candles-4442%20v2-XL.jpg

2. Black to white gradient background.

ABVM%20Crucifix%20color-XL.jpg

3. Gold to white gradient background. Gold was sampled from the Crucifix.

ABVM%20Crucifix.background%20color%20v2-XL.jpg

4. Gold gradient image on a black background.

ABVM%20Crucifix%20Gold%20Gradient%20and%20Black%20Background-X2.jpg
http://www.PhilsImaging.com
"You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
Phil

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 8, 2014
    The first image is lit from above with a shadow at the foot of the cross, and just a bit from Christ's left, as there is some shadow below the wound on Christ's right side also.

You have your gradient running from dark above to white below, left to right, and I might suggest trying it with the gradient matching the original shadow relationship - in other words with the upper right corner white, and the lower left corner black.

A white to black gradient is an artificial background, but I think works better when it matches/complements the lighting pattern in the original image. I can't always do this with all my efforts, depending on the original lighting, but I try to configure the gradient to match the shading on the subject if I can. I think that works better for my eye.

I may be displaying my own eccentricities, but I prefer the simple black to white gradient over the golden gradient

I think this might be interesting as a monochrome image also.

The selection and margins look pretty clean at the size I see them here on the screen.

Was this lit with fluorescent lighting maybe? When I read the screen pixels in the white wall ( i assume it is white ) it actually reads higher in green, than red or blue. Especially along the margins of the cross, but on the wall itself.

I think there is a bit of a green cast to the first image, maybe.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2014
    pathfinder wrote: »
    The first image is lit from above with a shadow at the foot of the cross, and just a bit from Christ's left, as there is some shadow below the wound on Christ's right side also.

You have your gradient running from dark above to white below, left to right, and I might suggest trying it with the gradient matching the original shadow relationship - in other words with the upper right corner white, and the lower left corner black.

A white to black gradient is an artificial background, but I think works better when it matches/complements the lighting pattern in the original image. I can't always do this with all my efforts, depending on the original lighting, but I try to configure the gradient to match the shading on the subject if I can. I think that works better for my eye.

I may be displaying my own eccentricities, but I prefer the simple black to white gradient over the golden gradient

I think this might be interesting as a monochrome image also.

The selection and margins look pretty clean at the size I see them here on the screen.

Was this lit with fluorescent lighting maybe? When I read the screen pixels in the white wall ( i assume it is white ) it actually reads higher in green, than red or blue. Especially along the margins of the cross, but on the wall itself.

I think there is a bit of a green cast to the first image, maybe.

Thanks very much for your excellent analysis. I will work on this some more given your feedback. I have a few other perspectives and lighting arrangements I would like to try in near future.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2014
    For me, without being technical and just eye test, preference would be in this order:

#3, #1, #2, #4.

Once again Thanks for Jim for detailed analysis! I learn something every time you post!
    While I don't know how to create these backgrounds, I know I should at least check for the shadow play!!

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    For me, without being technical and just eye test, preference would be in this order:

#3, #1, #2, #4.

Once again Thanks for Jim for detailed analysis! I learn something every time you post!
    While I don't know how to create these backgrounds, I know I should at least check for the shadow play!!

Cheers!

I now know I should check for shadows a little more too!

Thanks for comments as always.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited December 8, 2014
    Reversed gradient and some white balance work, which I thought I had set well, but did not. I like this better.

Thank you Pathfinder!

Phil

2014%20Advent%20Candles-4442-2%20v2-X2.jpg
    Phil
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2014
    Like it! Something powerful about it! Nice job!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 8, 2014
    I think the warmer color balance is much more appealing.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin