Options

The MilkyBristle ConeWay

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
edited May 30, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
I shot this last year, but never really noticed it until accidentally stumbling across it yesterday.

IMG_9063-Edit-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rhiturajrhituraj Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2015
    How can you miss such a shot for a year? Superb [emoji106]

Camera - $1700, Lens - $900, Memories - Priceless | www.rhitusworld.com
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2015
    rhituraj wrote: »
    How can you miss such a shot for a year? Superb [emoji106]
    Thank you! It's a good question. I have this bad habit of just picking out a few good shots from a day of shooting on my trips. I then spend all my time on those, glossing over the rest and move onto the next day. I can't even imagine how many decent photos I may have squirreled away. Maybe when I'm too old to shoot any more, I'll go back and find them. :rutt
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Thank you! It's a good question. I have this bad habit of just picking out a few good shots from a day of shooting on my trips. I then spend all my time on those, glossing over the rest and move onto the next day. I can't even imagine how many decent photos I may have squirreled away. Maybe when I'm too old to shoot any more, I'll go back and find them. :rutt

Please, do go back and check your files once in while...!
  • Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2015
    Beautiful shot!! Wow!! Can you say a little about the "milky bristle cone way?" I'm not familiar with this term ... --Carter
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2015
    Nice bro! I do wish though that highlights were bit tame.....it is too piercing.....but it could be monitor difference. Cheers!
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2015
    Great effect with foreground tree "reaching for the stars"!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited May 24, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    Please, do go back and check your files once in while...!
    Thanks, Cristobal. I'll do that. :D
    CCoop wrote: »
    Beautiful shot!! Wow!! Can you say a little about the "milky bristle cone way?" I'm not familiar with this term ... --Carter
    Thanks, Carter. The title was a possibly poor choice of word play on on the actual title which would probably have read: "Bristlecone Milky Way". This was shot in the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest in the eastern Sierras. If you're not familiar with it, the pine trees there are amazing and thousands of years old.
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice bro! I do wish though that highlights were bit tame.....it is too piercing.....but it could be monitor difference. Cheers!
    Thanks, Taz. Probably a combination of your monitor and a my heavy hand on the contrast slider. Probably a bit over done.
    Great effect with foreground tree "reaching for the stars"!
    Thanks, man. The bristlecone pines just beg for compositions like this. deal.gif

I've posted this one before, but here it is again since we're talking about it. This is the light from the moonrise which happened shortly after the above shot.
    StarStaX_UP3A4586-UP3A4608_gap_filling-XL.jpg
    I believe that red glow on that one tree is from the red LED on a second camera doing timelapses nearby.

And a plain old daytime shot so folks can get a better sense of the area.
    UP3A4301-XL.jpg
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2015
    Beautiful! I don't find it piercing... just fine.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Beautiful! I don't find it piercing... just fine.
    Thanks, Don! That's good to know.
  • Options
    CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2015
    As an aside, I have the same tendency to quickly identify the best shots from an outing and ignore the rest. Several times I've found that I missed a gem. Also, as my processing improves, I sometimes find good images that I just didn't know how to work up well at the time. It does pay to mine the old files occasionally, as you've proved.
  • Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2015
    Good stuff, inspiring. I keep wanting to shoot some night stuff, and have a couple of ideas, now I just need to make the time, learn some technique and get with it.

Thanks for sharing.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    As an aside, I have the same tendency to quickly identify the best shots from an outing and ignore the rest. Several times I've found that I missed a gem. Also, as my processing improves, I sometimes find good images that I just didn't know how to work up well at the time. It does pay to mine the old files occasionally, as you've proved.
    Exactly!!
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Good stuff, inspiring. I keep wanting to shoot some night stuff, and have a couple of ideas, now I just need to make the time, learn some technique and get with it.
    Thanks, Phil. Nothing to it, as far as technique goes. f/2.8ish, 20-30s, ISO 3200-6400
    You need a nice clear sky, but that's nothing new for you. Pretty straightforward!