Mini Challenge #225 History - Results

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited April 30, 2016 in The Dgrin Challenges
Thanks again to everyone who participated in the Mini Challenge – I always enjoy the chance to pick my favorites from among the group of images… comments and results as follows:

Thanks to Eric and Joyce for their cool contributions to the thread!
Joyce, I happened to travel through Wasilla on vacation in 2011, and I craned my neck extensively to see if I could see Russia from there… you can’t. :rofl

There were many interesting glimpses by all, of a variety of places, people, and items with “history”.
I very much enjoyed the composite images by grandmaR and Tatiana and the stories and explanations accompanying both theirs, and Sara’s images…
So, an Honorable Mention and thanks to y’all for the extra effort on these entries!

In picking the top three, I am combining my appreciation of the subject in each image, with an indulgence of my strong affinity for B&W photography… I had not intended to do this, it just happened so – no disrespect to color photography!

Third Place: Sara - City Wall, 13<sup>th</sup> Century.
I also like the tree Sara, and the leading lines of the pathway and the wall.
I think the scene renders well in B&W… the image has a very “old” feeling. Well done Sara!
20160410_004_DMC-G5-M.jpg

Second Place: Gretchen -Rheinstein Castle on the Rhine.
The castle period of European history is fascinating to me… I can’t image how cold it was in those places in the winter!
Again, I think the scene looks great in B&W – the castle is nicely placed against the darker background. Very nice Gretchen!
i-xWZgVcN-M.jpg

First Place: Pieter - Nazi Concentration Camp Gross Rosen (near Wroclaw, Poland)
Well, in terms of history, this subject has an undeniable place, and impact…
and for me personally, it’s a time I’ve studied quite a bit in an effort to try and understand the nature of human beings…
however, regardless of the facts I’ve learned, like most people, I find these events crushingly tragic and mostly incomprehensible.
I think this image, especially in B&W, captures the gloom and despair of the place, conveyed with our memories of the victims, rather than the actual faces seen in so many historical images.
It’s a powerful and well-done photograph Pieter. The next challenge is yours Sir!
PEG_A850_09225_20130502-2.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 29, 2016
    Earache wrote: »
    Thanks again to everyone who participated in the Mini Challenge – I always enjoy the chance to pick my favorites from among the group of images… comments and results as follows:

Thanks to Eric and Joyce for their cool contributions to the thread!
    Joyce, I happened to travel through Wasilla on vacation in 2011, and I craned my neck extensively to see if I could see Russia from there… you can’t. rolleyes1.gif...

No you cannot see Russia from Wasilla. However, Tina Fey claims to see Russia from Palin's back yard in Big Lake which is just North of us. mwink.gifrofl
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2016
    Oh, and btw...
    @ Joyce and Gretchen... I really enjoyed looking at the image galleries you both linked in your posts! clap.gif
    I suggest y'all go to those galleries and enjoy a full-screen slideshow!! thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2016
    JAG wrote: »
    No you cannot see Russia from Wasilla. However, Tina Fey claims to see Russia from Palin's back yard in Big Lake which is just North of us. mwink.gifrofl

Yeah, the bus driver was very sure to point out her house when we went by! deal.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2016
    Wow, I'm honored and never expected to get 1st place, so many great entries. Congratulations to Gretchen and Sara, I'm certainly in good company here.
    Thanks Eric for organizing this one, it was a nice theme and dug up some very nice pictures of places I have never seen.

I'll think of a new theme the coming days, hopefully I have something on Sunday or Monday to post here.
    Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2016
    Congratulations Pieter - your photo was also a winner for me. And Gretchen, I very much liked your photo and enjoyed browsing through the linked gallery as well.

Eric, I knew you'd love that B&W... :ivarmwink.gif Honestly though, thanks - in light of all of the other fine entries, I'm very pleased to have 3rd place!

Cheers, Sara
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2016
    Wow, thank you for the appreciation :D

Congratulations to Gretchen and Sara! clap.gif

* I love your B&W castle Gretchen - it looks like you had a great trip! :)

... and big congratulations to Pieter - impressive touching photo! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2016
    Congratulations to all the winners. I have a thread of Then and Now photos which I added a couple of photos to from the trip I'm now on. I did not use those photos because the THEN photo was taken by my father in 1950, so I thought not quite right to include them in the mini

then%2B%2526%2Bnow13.jpg

Weigh house in Alkmaar

2016-04-242.jpg

Central Train station in Antwerp

Recovered%2BAutosave.jpg

Weighing the cheese in Alkmaar
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited April 30, 2016
    Mini Challenge #225 History - Results
    On the road again, so just a quick post to congratulate Pieter and Sara, thank Eric for the surprise of having a photo chosen for 2nd place, and to say how much I enjoyed seeing all of the entries in this mini! I don't always have time to participate but always enjoy checking in on what's happening here.

Thank you also for the kind affirmation of the gallery of photos I shared. It was a great trip!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited April 30, 2016
    Earache wrote: »
    Oh, and btw...
    @ Joyce and Gretchen... I really enjoyed looking at the image galleries you both linked in your posts! clap.gif
    I suggest y'all go to those galleries and enjoy a full-screen slideshow!! thumb.gif

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the gallery.

Congrats to Pieter and all the runner ups!