Options

Where to store photo on my site that shows only on "About Me" page?

MaxlifectMaxlifect Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited March 31, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
I am almost done customizing my new site but one thing has really perplexed me.

I made an "About Me" page and want to have a photo of me on that page and that page only. However, when I created the page and added a photo content block, it asked me to select a photo from one of my galleries. However, I don't have or want a photo of me in any of my galleries. So I created a special gallery that only contained the photo of me, and then made that gallery hidden so people wouldn't see it. I then had a photo of me in a gallery I could link to on the About Me page. HOWEVER, since that gallery is now hidden, the photo of me does not appear to show up in the About Me page photo content block either.

So my question is: how do I have a photo on my About Me page and at the same time keep that photo from appearing in a publicly-accessible gallery? There has to be a way to do this. It's a bummer that apparently I can't upload a photo directly to a page only and not to a gallery as well.

Thanks!

www.petermendelsonphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited March 31, 2015
    Maxlifect wrote: »
    So my question is: how do I have a photo on my About Me page and at the same time keep that photo from appearing in a publicly-accessible gallery? There has to be a way to do this. It's a bummer that apparently I can't upload a photo directly to a page only and not to a gallery as well.
    Place the photo in a gallery that is set to unlisted. No one (except you) can see the gallery without a direct link to it.

See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1229910 for an explanation of visibility and access.

I just took a quick look at your site and I noticed that you are allowing access to the Original sized photos. I'd recommend you select anything smaller than Original as your maximum display size. Allowing access to the Originals essentially allows anyone to grab your full-sized photos for free. Yes, I know, you have right click "protect" turned on. That is easily bypassed in seconds - all a viewer needs to do is click to see the original, then access the file from the browser cache.

See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1230107-new-how-can-i-protect-my-images.

--- Denise
  • Options
    MaxlifectMaxlifect Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2015
    Thank you! I didn't realize making it unlisted rather than hidden would do the trick. Also turned off the original sized photos....