Tanya and John wedding

Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
edited April 17, 2012 in Weddings
I'm really starting to love shooting primes, I covered nearly the whole wedding apart from using the 70-200 in the church, the 24-105 for groups and 70-200 again for speaches (oh and a few 17-40 for interiors) with the 35L, 85 1.8, Sigma 105 macro and 135L. I'm finding the benefits of fast glass are winning over the convenicence of a zoom. I'm not sure I would like to only be on primes but certainly shooting the majority is working well for me.

Here is a small selection, there are more on my Plymouth Wedding Photography blog.

As always would really love to get some feedback.

john-and-tanyas-wedding-0003_std.jpg

john-and-tanyas-wedding-0005_std.jpg

john-and-tanyas-wedding-0011_std.jpg

john-and-tanyas-wedding-0019_std.jpg

john-and-tanyas-wedding-0020_std.jpg

john-and-tanyas-wedding-0026_std.jpg

john-and-tanyas-wedding-0027_std.jpg

john-and-tanyas-wedding-0034_std.jpg

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

Comments

• avangardphotoavangardphoto Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2012
    Cool shots. Thanks for posting.
    Mario
  • Hugh AndersonHugh Anderson Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 9, 2012
    Hi Mark,

ok, so I am new here, and about to offer some critique on some images - maybe not my smartest move, right? Anyway, you did ask ..... Hope I don't offend.

Not so keen on the first one, it seems a little busy for my taste.

The second and third ones - I am not a fan of over processed images, but I would probably bump up the contrast/brightness and tweak a couple of other settings in Lightroom for a more "punchy" look.

I would probably have some of that nice sky in image 7 put into image 6. Even a little more dramatic than it currently is. It's England, no shortage of cloudy skies!!!! :-) I'm Sottish by the way. I do like number 7.

I get where you are going with the last one - but it doesn't work for me. Some reasons: It's a "crotch shot" of him, he is way too slouched, and she looks very uncomfortable. You needed to have them mesh together a little more, like they are completely relaxed together, and you have just stumbled into their private moment. Here, they look strained. It's not flattering to either subject, especially him.

Ok, I really hope that I have not stuck my foot squarely in it! These are of course simply my honest take on the images.

Regards,

Hugh
  • sphyngesphynge Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 172
    edited April 11, 2012
    Hi Mark,

I think these are overall really solid, with a nice sense of light and composition. Good stuff!
    If I *must* find tweaks / finessing, this is what I would go for:
    #2 love the light, you're shooting her on the shadow side and great composition; I wonder if shooting her from a slightly higher angle would've been more flattering to her.
    #5 I love the expression, they're well positioned - a small tweak I'd go for next time would be to watch the fingers; it's all a bit flat. If they relax a little more I think you'll get better fingers.
    #7 I love that shot but if this were my husband I'd want him to hold me too :)
    #8 I have to agree - the position isn't optimal. The guy might want to be sitting more forward in the chair, and not show the genital area. The bride is also slouching a little too much so her arm is flattened out, which isn't very flattering.

Overall you really have a great sense of light and composition, so well done!
  • trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2012
    Nice pics. I shoot fast primes only. I love #7 but I would crop it down a tad to reduce the sky (I think there's just too much sky while cropping out the concrete seatwall(?) on the right side).