Sanctuary - Mission San Diego

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited August 7, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcalá was the first Franciscan mission in the Las Californias Province of the Viceroyalty of New Spain ~ Founded 1769

I left some red in #2 for the Sacred Heart...

Mission-X2.jpg

Sacred-X2.jpg

Sanctuary-X2.jpg

Altar-X2.jpg

Church-X2.jpg

Hallway-X2.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 4, 2015
    Super job with the details in capturing the spirit of this old historic mission, Eric. The processing really enhances the feel. My only nit would be the distortion in #1, not an easy thing to deal with given the angles and super wide focal length. But that's minor like I say. You did this old establishment proud with your pictures. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2015
    Simply Wonderful! Love this!thumb.giflust
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2015
    Wonderful series. #2 is my favorite, love the detail. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2015
    Eric, these are fantastic. The sepia tone works quite well here. I really can't pick out a favorite as I think the composition and crop is excellent in all of them. I do love the bokeh in # 4 as well as the symmetry in #5. The diagonals leading to the cross in #6 is outstanding. The series leaves me thinking I've seen the most important parts of the Sanctuary. These are nothing short of inspirational. clap.gifclap
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Super job with the details in capturing the spirit of this old historic mission, Eric. The processing really enhances the feel. My only nit would be the distortion in #1, not an easy thing to deal with given the angles and super wide focal length. But that's minor like I say. You did this old establishment proud with your pictures. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Thank-you kindly for the comments Joel!
    I quite agree with you on #1... especially since the distortion is stylistically inconsistent with the other images.
    I had tried auto correction in LR and it grabbed the bottom of the door so I reset and neglected to try manual correction...
    So, here is a manual re-work - lost some real estate, but I kept the doorway and was able to straighten her up a bit...
    there's still some "looking-up" distortion - minor, as you say, for 24mm. Oh, and thanks for the feedback on the toning - I find it tricky to find appropriate uses for sepia.

i-f4PrQvt-XL.jpg

Also, for giggles, here's another more conventional view/focal length... I do not like the lighting or composition (a bit busy) as well as the other one.

i-xNx5c9S-XL.jpg

Cheers!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2015
    Eric, I really like this series. Terrific compositions.
    edited August 4, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Simply Wonderful! Love this!thumb.giflust
    Thanks very much Mr. T! thumb.gif
    Glad I snuck 'um past you! :ivar
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited August 4, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Wonderful series. #2 is my favorite, love the detail. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    Thank-you Phil, glad you enjoy them!

Re:#2 - This side table was in the very dimly-lit priests quarters, and I always like to give credit to my gear in these low available-light situations... the 5DMK3 does so well at high ISO.

5DMK3 ~ 24-105mm f4L
    105mm @ f4 ~ 1/80 sec. ~ ISO 4000
    Processing in LR5 ~ toning ~ NR ~ 25% crop ~ minor sharpening ~ even a little bit of grain for effect.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited August 4, 2015
    Eric, these are fantastic. The sepia tone works quite well here. I really can't pick out a favorite as I think the composition and crop is excellent in all of them. I do love the bokeh in # 4 as well as the symmetry in #5. The diagonals leading to the cross in #6 is outstanding. The series leaves me thinking I've seen the most important parts of the Sanctuary. These are nothing short of inspirational. clap.gifclap
    Thanks very much Wayne! So glad you're feelin' it!
    Can I get an AMEN!! thumb.gif

Again, thanks for the feedback on toning - it may not appeal to all viewers, but I never like to cross, or even approach, the line between style and gimmickry. deal.gif
    Interestingly, even the earliest of the photos in the Mission museum are gray scale - likely they are repos though...
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited August 4, 2015
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Eric, I really like this series. Terrific compositions.

Thanks so much Don!
    I'm always glad to catch the eye of some of my favorite photogs!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • willard3willard3 Registered Users Posts: 2,580 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2015
    I really like the control of the dynamic range in this series. Excellent.
    It is better to die on you feet than to live on your knees.....Emiliano Zapata
    edited August 7, 2015
    willard3 wrote: »
    I really like the control of the dynamic range in this series. Excellent.
    Thank-you kindly willard, appreciate the look and the feedback!
    Eric ~ Smugmug