photo business software

darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
edited March 18, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
I've found online a software package called Deluxe Photo Jobs Database, it is suposed to be useful for managing all parts of a photo business with built-in release forms and contracts, customer database, and all that other good stuff.

Wondering if anyone here has used or is using this program, and if so what are your thoughts on it?

At only $189 it seems like a reasonable price for managing everything.
~ Lisa

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    I've not seen this application before, but reading their propoganda ([url=="http://www.photojobsdatabase.com/photojobsdatabasedeluxe.htm"]their web-page[/url]) it appears this application is a:
    • Contact and address manager
    • Mail (both e-mail and document) merge applet
    • Standardized document repository. There also appears to be a capability to add / modify documents, but the way it reads is ambigious at best
    I don't see any functional requirement this application purports to meet that can't be better met by the combination of:
    • MS Office (Word, Excel)
    • Outlook or Outlook Express
    • QuickBooks Pro (or even Quicken Delux)
    • And, a very little bit of time setting up templates, etc.
    all of which many people already have.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Thanks for the reply Scott. It's true I have almost everything you've listed there, maybe everything. Doesn't it make sense to have one app that can do it all instead of managing things in multiple applications? ne_nau.gif

I'm still pretty confused about how to set it all up to manage everything in the most efficient way. I've run my own small business before but it was a lot simpler than a photography business appears to be.

I have seen a few threads asking 'what software' in this forum, usually Quickbooks is the only thing I see recommended, but does that really handle everything?
    ~ Lisa
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Canon is also coming out with some sort of business software for pros, but I don't remember what it does, etc. Try google...
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    darkdragon wrote:
    Thanks for the reply Scott. It's true I have almost everything you've listed there, maybe everything. Doesn't it make sense to have one app that can do it all instead of managing things in multiple applications? ne_nau.gif
    Ever hear the expression, "Jack of all trades, master of none?" I think this falls into that category.

It would be interesting to know what the application uses for the database engine. Is it proprietary? That would be pretty bad.

Personally, contacts are maintaned in Outlook, your documents maintained/edited in Word, track you deliverables in Excel, and your accounting in Quicken/QuickBooks.

Either Word or Outlook can be used for spam and/or personalized form letters/docs.

I personally don't see an issue.
    edited March 16, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    Canon is also coming out with some sort of business software for pros, but I don't remember what it does, etc. Try google...

yeah, google is how i came upon the software i mentioned in the first message. i'll see what i can find out about the canon stuff.
    ~ Lisa
    edited March 16, 2009
    Ever hear the expression, "Jack of all trades, master of none?" I think this falls into that category.

yeah I have, it describes me well rolleyes1.gif
    It would be interesting to know what the application uses for the database engine. Is it proprietary? That would be pretty bad.

Great point, I hadn't thought of that one.
    Personally, contacts are maintaned in Outlook, your documents maintained/edited in Word, track you deliverables in Excel, and your accounting in Quicken/QuickBooks.

Either Word or Outlook can be used for spam and/or personalized form letters/docs.

I personally don't see an issue.

That's close to how I do it right now, thought i don't use quicken/books because i dont have any accounting to deal with yet. Also I'm on Mac so i use Mail instead of Outlook - same beast though.

Do you also handle all of your scheduling with Outlook?
    ~ Lisa
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    darkdragon wrote:
    yeah, google is how i came upon the software i mentioned in the first message. i'll see what i can find out about the canon stuff.
    10 second google search:
    canon press release

It was announced at PMA this year.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009

PARADOX :D:D:Drolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifrofl:cry:cry:cry
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2009
    Scott nailed it
    I have been doing accounting and business consulting for many years and I am a Certified QuickBooks Advisor.

QuickBooks is terrific, you can manage your customers and deliverables via the database and they do have a Customer Manager. It's all in how it's set up.

While I love my Canon software I just can't see invoicing and doing printing and color management in the same program. I can see tracking what I've sold and delivered and been paid. It's all about setting up a system that works.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited March 18, 2009
    ChatKat - is there an online version of quickbooks or a way to make entries online? For example, i would set up the application on my computer at home but when I'm out I'd like to be able to make entries and such from my laptop without having to keep 2 separate full setups of the application. Is that possible at all?
    ~ Lisa