Quality Time... at the Art Museum

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited September 10, 2016 in Street and Documentary
Dad-X2.jpg
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2016
    Nice capture - excellent balance and crop.
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2016
    Nice capture - excellent balance and crop.
    Thanks for looking Sara, always appreciate you perceptions!
    Not all compositions (in-fact most won't) will benefit from absolute symmetry...
    This one I thought would... so, as you noticed, I tried to achieve that... with only the humans breaking the symmetry... as they so often do!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2016
    Cool capture. Symmetry works really well here. Curious as to the width of the lens.

Two thoughts... Have you considered cropping the top bright sill? Scrolling it off screen takes away the "distraction" but really makes a narrow area between the posts and the edge. I love the dark mysterious areas to the sides but dislike the "muddiness" of the skin tones. Wondering if selective use of color sliders here might enhance their complexions.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2016
    Photo has huge visual appeal...well seen and capture
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2016
    rainbow wrote: »
    Cool capture. Symmetry works really well here. Curious as to the width of the lens.

Two thoughts... Have you considered cropping the top bright sill? Scrolling it off screen takes away the "distraction" but really makes a narrow area between the posts and the edge. I love the dark mysterious areas to the sides but dislike the "muddiness" of the skin tones. Wondering if selective use of color sliders here might enhance their complexions.

Nice shot Eric! I agree with Rainbow on cropping the top slightly. clap.gif
    edited August 27, 2016
    rainbow wrote: »

Hi rainbow! Thanks for commenting - nice to hear from you!!

Great suggestions, thanks! thumb.gif
    I had left the sill in for that reason, but I think it turned-out well-enough in the revision.
    I re-worked it using your ideas, and added a bit more contrast... and, I think it looks much better! Wha-da-ya-think?

Technical: 5DIII ~ EF 24-105mm f4L @ 24mm ~ f4 ~ ISO 2000 ~ 1/60 sec.

Revised

i-ZsbKbck-X2.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited August 27, 2016
    Photo has huge visual appeal...well seen and capture
    Thanks so much for commenting Awais!
    I'm very happy to have caught your eye... I'm a huge fan of your work Sir!... bowdown.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited August 27, 2016
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice shot Eric! I agree with Rainbow on cropping the top slightly. clap.gif

Hi Cristóbal! Thanks very much!
    I like the re-work better! thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2016
    Nice shot, Eric. I, too, favor the revised image. You've always worked well with architectural studies. And, as you say, we rarely get a chance to work with perfect symmetry. You made good use of this opportunity.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited August 28, 2016
    Nice shot, Eric. I, too, favor the revised image. You've always worked well with architectural studies. And, as you say, we rarely get a chance to work with perfect symmetry. You made good use of this opportunity.

Take care,

Tom
    Thank-you Sir!... I think I'm just lucky that I was standing in the center... I can't remember making a point of it... ne_nau.gif CRS is here, I guess... headscratch.gif:D
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2016
    Hi Eric, just to chime in again... I actually prefer the original image. I liked the sill and the light of the window. Now I feel slightly claustrophobic. Still a great image tho' - just picking at hairs.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited September 10, 2016
    I've been on the road so I'm a little late to the party. The original isn't showing for me, but I do like the symmetry of the revised version. The tonality is fine. thumb.gif