Text Running Out of the Frame to the Right

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
edited August 25, 2016 in Dgrin Forum Support
While hosting Dgrin Mini #231 Oceans, Lakes, Rivers, and Streams I bumped into a problem with text running off the page if I included links to any images. This came up when I started a new thread to post the results.

I may have created the problem by writing this lengthy post in Microsoft word and then pasting into Dgrin, perhaps inadvertently bringing over some unwelcome formatting. Not sure. I could keep the text within bounds by deleting links to images but it spilled over if I tried to reintroduce an image link.

Here is a screen shot of the preview I saw.
i-wWNx9Lz-L.png

I also had trouble (in this context but not in other threads at other times) with resizing an image by replacing -XL with -S or -200x200. Instead, the image extended to the right of the page in preview as if it had not been resized.

So I'm not sure what is going on. I have made a quick collage of the winning photos and posted that as a workaround. But I would have preferred to link directly to the images themselves.

Thought I would share this just in case you are getting other reports of this kind of thing or have suggestions for folks like me who may write a draft in Microsoft word or some other word-processing program. I did google the issue (in the wee hours of the morning) and tried the TextEdit app on my mac for removing the formatting and pasting as plain text. But I had already created the thread and was editing it rather than starting a new thread.

I would welcome your suggestions!

Thank you.

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,234 moderator
    edited August 21, 2016
    I would stay away from using a word processing tool like Microsoft Word to prepare text for dgrin. If you want to start your post in a tool outside of the forums try using a pure text editor. I use Notepad++ on Windows.

I've seen photos extend beyond the edge in preview mode but when I've published the post they are (usually) fine. I usually use X2 site from my SmugMug site when I post photos here.

--- Denise
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited August 21, 2016
    I would stay away from using a word processing tool like Microsoft Word to prepare text for dgrin. If you want to start your post in a tool outside of the forums try using a pure text editor. I use Notepad++ on Windows.

I've seen photos extend beyond the edge in preview mode but when I've published the post they are (usually) fine. I usually use X2 site from my SmugMug site when I post photos here.

--- Denise

Thanks, Denise. I think you are right that starting in a pure text editor would help avoid this issue. And good to know that you've seen photos extend beyond the edge in preview but that it usually worked out when you posted.

I appreciate your helpful input!
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited August 25, 2016
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    While hosting Dgrin Mini #231 Oceans, Lakes, Rivers, and Streams I bumped into a problem with text running off the page if I included links to any images. This came up when I started a new thread to post the results.

I may have created the problem by writing this lengthy post in Microsoft word and then pasting into Dgrin, perhaps inadvertently bringing over some unwelcome formatting. Not sure. I could keep the text within bounds by deleting links to images but it spilled over if I tried to reintroduce an image link.

I also had trouble (in this context but not in other threads at other times) with resizing an image by replacing -XL with -S or -200x200. Instead, the image extended to the right of the page in preview as if it had not been resized.

So I'm not sure what is going on. I have made a quick collage of the winning photos and posted that as a workaround. But I would have preferred to link directly to the images themselves.

Thought I would share this just in case you are getting other reports of this kind of thing or have suggestions for folks like me who may write a draft in Microsoft word or some other word-processing program. I did google the issue (in the wee hours of the morning) and tried the TextEdit app on my mac for removing the formatting and pasting as plain text. But I had already created the thread and was editing it rather than starting a new thread.

I would welcome your suggestions!

Thank you.

As an FYI, I continue to have difficulties with photos extending to the right of the frame. I tried to respond to a post on the current mini (232) today - agreeing with a post in which someone was appreciating a photo. She had quoted the link to the photo and it extended outside the frame in my preview post. So I did not post. (I tried leaving the image link alone and resizing it smaller.)

Also, today when I posted an image to the Neverending Alphabet game (D = Denail), I had to back out posting an image that was XL size and take it down to L before it would behave.

Someone has suggested that this might be a glitch in Dgrin so I thought it might be helpful to provide this update.

I'm going to be away from my computer for awhile. Will try testing this on a mobile platform or from a computer with a different operating system when I get a chance.