DSLR video & shutter speed

THX1965THX1965 Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
edited January 29, 2010 in Video
Now, this may be obvious to many seasoned videographers, but for a lot of photographers new to the DSLR video and film world, shutter speed and video is a topic that gets very little attention. I knew that I had to set the shutter speed of my 7D to a certain value and then lock it. But I wanted more info around this topic and found

this great blog entry.

It explains how shutter speed and frame rate work together and why you always want to set up your camera this way:

24p=1/48 (or as close to that as possible)

30p=1/60

60p=1/120
(or as close to that as possible)

Following this rule will give you a very film-like look. Ignoring it will either lead to smeary video (slower shutter) or staccato motion (fast shutter speed). Both will make your video look like it came from an automatic camcorder. I'd never change the shutter speed for video unless I was going for a very specific effect.

It's all based on how the 180 degree shutter in motion picture film cameras works

Moviecam_schematic_animation.gif

Anyway, I thought the article linked above might be helpful and/or interesting for some.

--- Markus ---

Comments

• mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    THX1965 wrote:
    Now, this may be obvious to many seasoned videographers, but for a lot of photographers new to the DSLR video and film world, shutter speed and video is a topic that gets very little attention. I knew that I had to set the shutter speed of my 7D to a certain value and then lock it. But I wanted more info around this topic and found

this great blog entry.

It explains how shutter speed and frame rate work together and why you always want to set up your camera this way:

24p=1/48 (or as close to that as possible)

30p=1/60

60p=1/120
    (or as close to that as possible)

Following this rule will give you a very film-like look. Ignoring it will either lead to smeary video (slower shutter) or staccato motion (fast shutter speed). Both will make your video look like it came from an automatic camcorder. I'd never change the shutter speed for video unless I was going for a very specific effect.

It's all based on how the 180 degree shutter in motion picture film cameras works

Moviecam_schematic_animation.gif

Anyway, I thought the article linked above might be helpful and/or interesting for some.

--- Markus ---
    I always wondered how motion picture shutters worked!
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2010
    Thanks!!! More good stuff.....

Sam