Options

Quick Rant

ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
edited August 14, 2012 in Weddings
I had a wedding yesterday at a venue I've shot at three times total this year. It's a sit-down dinner, which any wedding photographer knows can be OH so much fun. The past two times the crew was able to get us some food soon after the head table and families were fed - we eat in another room so that we don't bother the guests with the fact that we have food and they don't. Last night, however, a new wedding coordinator was there. She refused to feed my assistant and I until after all the guests were fed. By the time all the guests were fed I had about 10 minutes until cake cutting and I still had to get table shots (as requested by the bride). So yeah, no opportunity to eat AT ALL. The coordinator was really snobby about the whole thing too, even though I was very polite and explained why the previous coordinator and food service people had been amazing at serving us soon after the main crew ate. So yeah, no food for me (I let my assistant eat, of course, while I was taking photos). What do you do in a case like that?

Comments

• Options
    p27rpyp27rpy Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    I had a wedding yesterday at a venue I've shot at three times total this year. It's a sit-down dinner, which any wedding photographer knows can be OH so much fun. The past two times the crew was able to get us some food soon after the head table and families were fed - we eat in another room so that we don't bother the guests with the fact that we have food and they don't. Last night, however, a new wedding coordinator was there. She refused to feed my assistant and I until after all the guests were fed. By the time all the guests were fed I had about 10 minutes until cake cutting and I still had to get table shots (as requested by the bride). So yeah, no opportunity to eat AT ALL. The coordinator was really snobby about the whole thing too, even though I was very polite and explained why the previous coordinator and food service people had been amazing at serving us soon after the main crew ate. So yeah, no food for me (I let my assistant eat, of course, while I was taking photos). What do you do in a case like that?

It happens sometimes, unfortunately there has been quite a few weddings where I wasn't able to eat. That's why always bring an energy bar or something like it in my bag.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    I shot a wedding just before Easter...and while the guests were eating at the reception, I retired to the bar downstairs for an hour and ate and had a drink...perused the pictures that I'd shot. You just have to roll with the punches. Every wedding is different. If you don't nail down the details before the wedding, then you have to live with whatever comes your way.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2012
    Clif bars.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2012
    energy bars, snickers, trail mix... ....bottles of water....go prepared ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2012
    I used to only get to eat at about half my weddings, and sometimes in a separate room far from the reception. So the contract and client education were altered-

My contract now states that my assistant and I are included in the guest seating and in the guest final count, and must be fed at about the same time as the bride and groom. Otherwise, that 'go to another room to eat' stuff can burn you, and you miss really important things during the reception. I just cover it with couples before the wedding, and explain why it's in their best interest. "You're paying me a lot, but if I'm starved and have to leave the room to eat so I don't pass out, I might miss.....fill in the blank with a factual account of what you have missed before, like a surprises from the parents or best man/ MOH.

Now they all seem to just include us in the count, and we have our little card with our names on them on the table when we enter, just like any other guest.
    The staff will still take your plate away if you are up working, so I ask a couple of people at the table to make sure they don't take my plate till I finish! Someone usually remembers.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2012
    smurfy wrote: »
    I used to only get to eat at about half my weddings, and sometimes in a separate room far from the reception. So the contract and client education were altered-

My contract now states that my assistant and I are included in the guest seating and in the guest final count, and must be fed at about the same time as the bride and groom. Otherwise, that 'go to another room to eat' stuff can burn you, and you miss really important things during the reception. I just cover it with couples before the wedding, and explain why it's in their best interest. "You're paying me a lot, but if I'm starved and have to leave the room to eat so I don't pass out, I might miss.....fill in the blank with a factual account of what you have missed before, like a surprises from the parents or best man/ MOH.

Now they all seem to just include us in the count, and we have our little card with our names on them on the table when we enter, just like any other guest.
    The staff will still take your plate away if you are up working, so I ask a couple of people at the table to make sure they don't take my plate till I finish! Someone usually remembers.

thumb.gif Just what I'm talking about.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    Welcome to the industry! This stinks but it's pretty regular among some coordinators / catering staff. They just don't get it. Bottom line is, you just tell them that if you don't eat right now, as the first few guests are eating, then you will not have time to eat EVER because by the time the last few guests are served, you'll be back at work doing the cake cutting or whatever. It's that simple. If they refuse to feed you then, then just inform the B&G that you're taking a dinner break and head over to whatever restaurant or bar the hotel may have.

Just be glad that it's not an Asian wedding with table photos at every single table, which start of course just 5 mins after the first course is served and don't finish until, well, until the whole evening is 45 mins BEHIND schedule lol...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    Clif bars.
    Art Scott wrote: »
    energy bars, snickers, trail mix... ....bottles of water....go prepared ... ...

Maybe it's the Marine in me, but I can't help but agree. A pack of peanut butter crackers and some beef jerky? Who needs a plate.
  • Options
    ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    I don't have a huge problem not eating - wait - lemme rephrase - not eating sucks but I realize that sometimes things happen so yes, I do have granola bars in my bag (need to add energy bars - those are better!!). What pissed me off the most, I know, was the attitude of the coordinator. All of the other coordinators at the location have been fantastic every time I've gone up there, but this time she was SO friggin snotty and snobby. And you'll never believe this - that was Friday's wedding. On Saturday i shot another wedding, and the very same coordinator was a GUEST! What I loved was that she noticed me when I was sitting down to eat Laughing.gif. I guess I just expect that since we're all in the same sort of industry, I'd get the same respect that I always give others, but I guess not always!!
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2012
    At a wedding a couple saturdays ago, the catering manager of the club actually approached me before the guests came into the dining room to make sure we were taken care of. I sent her some nice shots of the facility later.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2012
    I also try to get the coordinator's info before the wedding to touch base with them about the plans for the day, so that might be a good time to straighten out this issue, especially if it's already in the singed contract.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!