Filles du Calvaire -- Paris, France

BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
edited July 17, 2010 in Street and Documentary
Hi all! I've been around DG for a while, but haven't shared many of my photographs yet. I'm becoming more and more interested in street photography as time goes on (and as I don't have time to get out of the city), and am trying to refine my vision and whatnot.

I thought I'd start off here by asking for your input on a photograph from a trip to Paris last year. I have mixed feelings about the shot and would love some comments and critiques from a neutral standpoint -- what works, or even whether it works, etc.

912468468_Ahrr9-M-1.jpg

Also, I'm not trying to be preemptively defensive, but I am aware of the technical shortcomings of this shot. :cry I was taking a photo of my wife inside the metro train at f1.4 and only had a moment to look out the metro window and take this shot. If I had been prepared, I would have tried to get more DOF, but this was all I could do in the moment.

Thanks in advance for your comments. :D

--Brendan

Edited to make the photo smaller for smaller screens. Clicking it will bring up a larger view.

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 7, 2010
    There are many an accomplished street photographer that will argue technical proficiency is not as important as the subject, content, overall conveyance of their shots. That having been said, many also argue a good street shooter knows how to be prepared for stealth shooting. ne_nau.gif

I think this could be an interesting shot but I'm not so sure why, Yet! :D

I keep wanting the dichotomy of the stroller against the man standing on the ladder to mean something but they just don't. In fact it takes a bit of a study to realize there's a man on the ladder.

Not much help, I know but I think there may be something here...

thumb.gif

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited July 8, 2010
    Lots of possibilities in this scene, maybe a few too many. I like the conversion, the bold signage, the guy on the ladder and the long stride. However there's also a fair amount of clutter, and it isn't clear what the eye is supposed to rest on. I'm less fussy than some about clipped appendages, but this time I want to see the feet. On balance, I would say you're off to a good start. Keep shooting thumb.gif
  • BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Angelo wrote: »
    There are many an accomplished street photographer that will argue technical proficiency is not as important as the subject, content, overall conveyance of their shots. That having been said, many also argue a good street shooter knows how to be prepared for stealth shooting. ne_nau.gif

I think this could be an interesting shot but I'm not so sure why, Yet! :D

I keep wanting the dichotomy of the stroller against the man standing on the ladder to mean something but they just don't. In fact it takes a bit of a study to realize there's a man on the ladder.

Not much help, I know but I think there may be something here...

thumb.gif

Thanks Angelo. I definitely have a long way to go before I come close to anything approaching a good street shooter (much less accomplished).

I find it interesting that you see no meaning in the relationship between the man in the suit and the man on the ladder, as this is one of the reasons I actually like the shot, but I appreciate and value your honest critique.

Thanks for your comments. :)
    edited July 9, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Lots of possibilities in this scene, maybe a few too many. I like the conversion, the bold signage, the guy on the ladder and the long stride. However there's also a fair amount of clutter, and it isn't clear what the eye is supposed to rest on. I'm less fussy than some about clipped appendages, but this time I want to see the feet. On balance, I would say you're off to a good start. Keep shooting thumb.gif

Thanks Richard. I recently re-did the conversion because I found the original too flat, so I'm glad you like it. I agree with you about the clipped feet. Like I said, I only had a moment to hit the shutter and simply didn't get it right. :cry I also agree about the clutter and lack of visual 'harmony'.

Overall, it sounds like this should head to the trash bin... but, like I said, I like it for my own reasons, so I'll probably keep it around despite that. Maybe I'll try to throw out some more everyday stuff that I am not as attached to for C&C sometime in the future.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 10, 2010
    Brendan wrote: »
    ...I find it interesting that you see no meaning in the relationship between the man in the suit and the man on the ladder...

only in the sense the man on the ladder is almost not seen. he virtually blends into the billboard
    edited July 17, 2010
    Angelo wrote: »
    only in the sense the man on the ladder is almost not seen. he virtually blends into the billboard

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. :)