Looking for opinions....:-)

Nattyb52Nattyb52 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited July 21, 2010 in Street and Documentary
This is a night shot in LA, HDR 3 exposures processed in CS3. Looking for opinions on if this works or not. I'm too close to my work to be a good judge. Thanks in advance.

595974441_gUN3f-X2-6.jpg

Jim

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    depends on where you want it to work.

To me it does have sorta a "film noir" look to it

On the other hand I don't care much for HDR and the shot lacks something to hold me
    past the process work.

all the above JMHO :D
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,908 moderator
    edited July 21, 2010
    Cue the saxophones! lol3.gif The colors are striking, harmonious and not the least bit natural. I can live with that. I think you may be losing some interesting stuff in the deep shadows. I suspect the composition would be improved if the street sign were brighter--I can barely see it on my screen. On balance, it has a nice moody feel. thumb.gif
  • BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    It's garbage. mwink.gif

I agree with Richard about the colors, and might suggest cropping about a third off the left side and top and seeing if you like that composition better. I think it helps focus in a little more on the points of interest (the shadows on the wall and strange light on the dumpster and windows) while getting rid of the empty space on the periphery.

Hope you find this useful.
  • Nattyb52Nattyb52 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2010
    Thank you for your responses. I really do appreciate it. I was looking for a gritty image type, but think maybe I need to open up the shadows.
    I almost got offended Brendan until I saw your little winky icon....now I have to laugh at my self. :-)

Thanks
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Brendan wrote: »
    It's garbage. mwink.gif

I agree with Richard about the colors, and might suggest cropping about a third off the left side and top and seeing if you like that composition better. I think it helps focus in a little more on the points of interest (the shadows on the wall and strange light on the dumpster and windows) while getting rid of the empty space on the periphery.

Hope you find this useful.

I don't agree at all. It may not be to your interest, but it's interesting. I'd reserve "garbage" for a poorly
    composed or processed photograph, and this is not. It's just differently processed. I rather like it.

My only objection is the intrusive watermark. That's the first thing I see, and it's distracting. If the
    photographer is that worried about theft, don't post images.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,908 moderator
    edited July 21, 2010
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I don't agree at all. It may not be to your interest, but it's interesting. I'd reserve "garbage" for a poorly
    composed or processed photograph, and this is not. It's just differently processed. I rather like it.

Hey Tony,

I think you missed the joke here. mwink.gif
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Hey Tony,

I think you missed the joke here. mwink.gif

I think I did. That'll teach me to skim posts.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Nattyb52Nattyb52 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 21, 2010
    Tony, the water mark is because I used smug mugs link to post it. It doesn't exist on the original, only in the gallery.