Another texture attempt

CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited November 21, 2010 in People
Reading some of the recent texture posts got me to messin' around. I only have Elements 6 and I'll be honest, I rarely use it. I don't know what a layer mask even is (as some have suggested that is a better way to do this), but I processed using the pic as the background layer and added the texure as an overlay and then a brownish overlay over that and erased the texture from her face, etc.
The textures in Elements seem relatively limited. Are there plugins for Elements or what PP tools are you all using to get some of the really terrific textures that have shown up here over the last couple of months?
Anyway, this pic is one that I posted not toooo long ago now with the added processing.
Thanks for looking and sharing any comments.

1097288297_ZxEo3-L.jpg
Chris Sowers

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    CASowers wrote: »
    The textures in Elements seem relatively limited. Are there plugins for Elements or what PP tools are you all using to get some of the really terrific textures that have shown up here over the last couple of months?

Head over to Deviant Art, do a search on "Grunge Textures, Textures, Grunge Backgrounds", etc. and start filling up your Textures Folder (simply what I call mine under my external hard drive). Then overlay the file as a new layer, reduce the opacity levels, try different blending modes, and practice like hell. There are plug-ins out there but....and listen closely....YOU DON'T NEED 'EM!! All of the following were simply layer masks/overlays in one form or the other completed solely in PS with no help from external plug-ins.

4152466151_05b676d5bc.jpg

4259974773_dc87c72b69.jpg

4337302525_48926cc2b0.jpg

4414605157_35016d0cf3.jpg
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    Chris I remember this from a few weeks ago.
    The effect is very subtle but it looks like there is a repetitive pattern at the top of the frame. This is such a pretty portrait and asides from the obvious repetition, I think this subtle effect could work well...

Darren, those are some very nice examples.
    I was wondering if you could explain the method a little more clearly if Chris doesn't mind....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    I don't mind at all!

Thanks both for the feedback. This is a pretty cool concept that I would really like to learn more about...

btw darren, those shots are amazing!
    Chris Sowers
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2010
    Chris, you can also check out cgtextures.com Lots of cool stuff. Another option is to take your own pictures of old plaster walls, paper, rust, etc. if you don't find it too boring a task. But I agree, don't waste money on plug-ins. Damn, those are some inspiring examples!
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • CASowersCASowers Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2010
    Darren, thanks. Already have a few textures from deviant art thanks to your tip. I quickly lost a few hours late last night trying to make some progress...nothing "post worthy" as of the moment.

briandelion, also thanks...will also take a look at cgtexures. Probably gonna be pretty tired at work in the morning...
    Chris Sowers