Train

scarysharkfacescarysharkface Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited December 23, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Thanksgiving morning, 2010, across the highway from the Marfa Lights Visitor Center just East of Marfa, Texas...

1107616571_Da7cb-XL.jpg

John
Canon EOS 50D, Tamron 18-270mm and 10-24mm

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    John, your composition and choice of subject is very nice. If you'll play with the PP a little bit more, it would make the image stronger. JMO. The overly yellow sky seems to attract too much attention for me. Other than that, I'd say a very stellar image from you, Sir! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • scarysharkfacescarysharkface Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    John, your composition and choice of subject is very nice. If you'll play with the PP a little bit more, it would make the image stronger. JMO. The overly yellow sky seems to attract too much attention for me. Other than that, I'd say a very stellar image from you, Sir! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "PP"?

John
    edited January 23, 2011
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is "PP"?

John

PP means Post-Processing, John. Hope this help.

edited January 23, 2011
    PP means Post-Processing, John. Hope this help.

Ah. Thanks. The only processing I did was upping the saturation a bit when converting it from RAW to a jpeg with the Canon software that came with the camera. I have access to CS5 (I think) but don't have a machine that will run it.

John
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2011
    I really like this thumb.gif
    edited January 24, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I really like this thumb.gif

Thank you.

I spent a cold night in the Jeep after driving up from Terlingua. I love that part of Texas.

Here's the first shot from that morning, of the Visitors Center from the back of the Jeep..

1107606292_WF6GM-XL.jpg

John
    edited January 24, 2011
    Thank you.

I spent a cold night in the Jeep after driving up from Terlingua. I love that part of Texas.

Here's the first shot from that morning, of the Visitors Center from the back of the Jeep..

1107606292_WF6GM-XL.jpg

John

What a spectacular catch of the sunrise clap.gif

You slept in your jeep ... kuddos to you for doing that. Shows dedication. Me .. I'd find the nearest hotel :D
    edited January 24, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    What a spectacular catch of the sunrise clap.gif

You slept in your jeep ... kuddos to you for doing that. Shows dedication. Me .. I'd find the nearest hotel :D

Thanks. I took a bazillion pics that week, and they're here, along with some loose narrative:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52906

John
    edited January 24, 2011
    That is really nice, John. I wish I could go there to get pics like this soon. :D

edited January 24, 2011
    Thanks. I took a bazillion pics that week, and they're here, along with some loose narrative:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52906

John

I really enjoyed taking a look at all your photos. Being that close to the Mexican border would of scared me a little, but it looks like you had a great adventure in vehicle I dream of owning one day :D

I've looked at jeeps like that -- told my hubby it would work perfect for camping and taking the dog with us too.

You took some great photos .. a good way to remember your trip thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing them with us.
    edited January 25, 2011
    I'm trying to make the transition from shooting snapshots to being a real photographer again, and it's hard. I guess I lack focus, for lack of a better term, and probably try to force too many hobbies into the same limited space. I appreciate the positive feedback as well as helpful criticism. Thank you.

There aren't enough hours in the day, and hours after dark seem to be even more scarce when competing with sleep.

John
    edited January 25, 2011
    That is really nice, John. I wish I could go there to get pics like this soon. :D

Don't go there, you'll hate it! :D

Seriously, I'm reasonably well-travelled and have only recently discovered Big Bend. Right now it's the place that rolls through my brain endlessly as I try to sleep at night. For reasons I can't begin to identify, it's a special, special place. You owe it to yourself to get there. deal.gif

I was there over Thanksgiving week 2010. The temps at Study Butte and Rio Grande Village were in the mid-90's during the day. At Chisos Basin I needed a jacket.

John
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2013
    Just looked at the gallery. Very nice.

And I salute your FYYFF. (psst - i know where you hang out too :D)
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2013
    Nice shots John thumb.gif

BTW, I looked at all your trip shots. Looks like you had a good time in the wide open spaces of Texas. And down there around Big Bend, you definitely have a lot of room to decompress thumb.gif
    Randy