Mini Challenge #199: Glass

2»

Comments

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2015
    You are right Tony, but the eye communicates with the brain, and if the brain rejects something that's not quite right, the eye will follow...

The image by itself is very nice anyway :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2015
    I don't see the glass container as holding a candle until I see the matches. The flame part is pretty much overwhelmed by the glass. So for me, if you are going to have matches and a candle, one of the matches should show burnt. Otherwise, it just seems wrong, and not purposely wrong.

Although one can say that the match would immediately be thrown away, one could also say that unburned matches wouldn't be heaped by a candle IRL.

It's a good photo without the matches.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited January 12, 2015
    Interesting the various ways people can look at Tony's candlelight image. I like the way the golden tones (and lines) of the matches in the original complement the design of the glass candle holder. I wasn't looking for the used match. :D

Lots of lovely images being shared here! I have one idea for a fresh image but not sure I will get a chance to get out for a photo shoot in our wintry weather.
    edited January 12, 2015
    As someone who grew up having to use matches to light candles, fires, bunsen burners etc, I would not have had the unused matches on the table. They would have stayed safely in the box. When I was lighting candles for a table, I'd have a little dish to put the used matches in. And if I was lighting something down inside something, I would use a straw or long match. Or I would take the candle out (or take the glass mantle off).

One of my problems is that I don't normally see photos as art. I look at the photo completely literally. It is a fault of mine, not of the photo. It i probably because I was an OSHA inspector for 14 years and I took photos to prove citations in my cases. Each photo had to be described completely - everything in it. In detail. So when I look at a photo, I tend to dissect the elements in it.

I took a lot of photos and I didn't always see what it was that I photographed until after I got the photos back. I once had a photo which showed a second story door with no stairs or ladder leading up to it, and no way to prevent someone from falling off the edge if they were up there. I had totally not seen that in person when I took the photo.
  • BaileyBearBaileyBear Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 13, 2015
    Subtle Reflections
    My first post here :) Looking through window of old mill in Atlanta, the rusted frames and turquoise hues drew me in immediately. Edited in Lightroom 5.

subtle-reflections.jpg

http://reneejohnsonphotography.com
  • BaileyBearBaileyBear Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 13, 2015
    Inverted Reflection
    Was at the Goat Farm in Atlanta a while back and in the middle of this old building was a mirror which reflected upside down, found it very interesting. When edited in Lightroom, I made all but the inverted reflection black and white.

inverted-reflection.jpg

- Renee

http://reneejohnsonphotography.com
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2015
    grandmaR wrote: »
    As someone who grew up having to use matches to light candles, fires, bunsen burners etc, I would not have had the unused matches on the table. They would have stayed safely in the box. When I was lighting candles for a table, I'd have a little dish to put the used matches in. And if I was lighting something down inside something, I would use a straw or long match. Or I would take the candle out (or take the glass mantle off).

These challenges are not an exercise in documentary or forensic photography.
    When the subject is a still life, or tabletop shot, they are usually posed and composed
    shots.

The unlit matches were in my photograph for compositional balance. I don't
    particularly like centered objects, so the matches were placed (and carefully
    so) to offset the image and to provide some additional points of color.

I don't mind your critique of the image, but I do think you are over-analyzing it
    and dwelling on aspects - like the method of lighting a candle - that have
    nothing to do with a photograph submitted in this venue.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited January 13, 2015
    I apologize for being unnecessarily forensic. The matches were a clever touch and were a complimentary composition element.
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited January 15, 2015
    1. Window in Bryn Athyn Cathedral, PA, USA
    Cathedral%20window%20-%20Rider%20on%20White%20Horse-5864%20pse-L.jpg

2. Window in St. Stephans Church, Mainz, Germany
    Mainz%20Window%20St%20Stephans%20Cathedral-0683%20pse-L.jpg

3. United Terminal in Chicago O'Hare Airport, IL, USA
    United%20Terminal%20O%27Hare-0907pse-L.jpg
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2015
    If anyone is considering posting some images, now is the time.
    This mini competition will be closing for judging tomorrow night - 10pm (France time) 17th Jan.

Great images in so far - well done everyone (for making my job so hard!)

Alan.
    edited January 17, 2015
    ==============================
    Entrance to this mini competition is now Closed.
    ==============================

I will be busy tomorrow during the day and will start the very difficult task of judging/commenting tomorrow night.
    I will post a link here when the results are announced (in a separate thread) - thanks for the reminder on this grandmaR.

Please be patient!

Alan.
    edited January 19, 2015
    ==================
    The Results are posted here - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1985699#post1985699
    ==================

Sorry for the delay.

Alan