Brianna + John [NJ Wedding]

michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
edited September 7, 2012 in Weddings
Hey guys! Just joined the forum today. I used to work for a DJ/Photo/Video company and branched off on my own. This is the first wedding I've ever booked on my own. Here are a few of my favorites. You can stalk the rest on my blog: http://www.michaelglennphoto.com/2/post/2012/08/brianna-john.html

9635116_orig.jpg

5223912_orig.jpg

9330193_orig.jpg

8420602_orig.jpg

9592659_orig.jpg

3901330_orig.jpg

5356782_orig.jpg

8862904_orig.jpg

8923501_orig.jpg

1178373_orig.jpg
wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com

Comments

• Matt's CameraMatt's Camera Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    Nice! Like the beach shot!
    Matt P | Website | Facebook
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    Beautiful seriesclap.gif
    My only nit is not sure about #1 but it most likely means more the the bird and groom.

Chuck Cassidy,
    D300s, Nikkor 50mm 1.4D,
    www.aperturefocus.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    Thanks guys! I also forgot to post this gem. The flower girls were awesome.
    2450981_orig.jpg
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2012
    love em all, especially the last two!
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2012
    I'm seeing a lot of soft images...or parts of images...like with the flower girls that you posted, the girls on the bed...and the guys.

Your concept is nice...captures look good...but depth of field needs some work.

Thanks of sharing...welcome to the forum...you'll love it...lots of help...good people here.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
    edited August 22, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    I'm seeing a lot of soft images...or parts of images...like with the flower girls that you posted, the girls on the bed...and the guys.

Your concept is nice...captures look good...but depth of field needs some work.

Thanks of sharing...welcome to the forum...you'll love it...lots of help...good people here.

Thank you for pointing this out. This has been my biggest struggle this year. With more practice, I will get it down. I prefer nice bokeh and for weddings I try to keep my aperture between f/1.4 - f/2.8.

I've been cruising the forums here and you guys certainly seem like a wonderful bunch. I appreciate the constructive criticism too!
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2012
    Hi tom,

Welcome. That said you probably aren't gona like me.

Here is what I see: white balance issues, inconsistent skin tones, image tilt, over use of wide open apertures without any real image benefit.

Are you working with a color calibrated monitor?

I would use wider apertures when I want to isolate a portion of a scene, or if there is no other choice. But I wouldn't use it as a standard. As an example if you have two rows of people and use a wide open aperture the people in the second row will definitely be out of focus.

You can use flash. :D

I think that while some images can be creative and artistic many images are to document the day for the couple. Good clean in focus well composed images of friends and family will be important keepsakes.

Just my thoughts.

Sam
    edited August 23, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Hi tom,

Welcome. That said you probably aren't gona like me.

Here is what I see: white balance issues, inconsistent skin tones, image tilt, over use of wide open apertures without any real image benefit.

Are you working with a color calibrated monitor?

I would use wider apertures when I want to isolate a portion of a scene, or if there is no other choice. But I wouldn't use it as a standard. As an example if you have two rows of people and use a wide open aperture the people in the second row will definitely be out of focus.

You can use flash. :D

I think that while some images can be creative and artistic many images are to document the day for the couple. Good clean in focus well composed images of friends and family will be important keepsakes.

Just my thoughts.

Sam

Hi, Sam

My monitor is calibrated and the images come out exactly how I would like when I send them off to printing labs like WHCC.

I tend to keep my images warm, its my style. I also color tone my images in ACR and photoshop to keep my consistent look. I set white balance manually and shoot in RAW so I have full control over skin tones. I disagree the tones are off. Rather if they came up popping as red or orange I would agree (unless your monitor isn't calibrated?). Or maybe you just don't like how I process my images, which is totally fine.

About DOF. I prefer wider apertures because I like to isolate people from the image. I feel a story can be told better when the eyes focus on the subject rather than the background. I do agree the DOF needs some work though. I don't have it nailed, as I would want my images to be a little sharper. Once I have this down, I think my work would improve tremendously.

And also, I do use flash. If you visit my blog, I use it during the reception photos. I like shooting in natural light when I can. I like the natural feel and using the sun to my advantage.

And also Sam, I don't dislike you one bit. I just think we have different views, but I do agree the DOF needs to be fine tuned.

P.S. - I don't know who Tom is, so please call me Mike! :D
  • GRodGRod Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    Very cool looking images. love the one with the two little girls holding up the picture frame...very very nice. Congrats!
    edited September 7, 2012
    almira wrote: »
    hey liked the last photo more than everything. you have gotten the in the air photo really well? how many times did you try ?

It's actually very easy to get a shot like this. If you are shooting on a canon camera, set a high shutter speed 1/1000 or higher and set the AF to AI SERVO. It works great for fast moving subjects. You will nail the jump shot every time.

I did two takes on this photograph, and shot on continuous shoot.