First tent shots

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited October 31, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
I just returned from a week on the motorcycle to Northern NM and decided I'd try to shoot the tent at night. I think I can do better, but was pleased with a couple.

Here's the first one and after I was done figured the light I had was too bright inside.
DSC_3173-1-L.jpg

The wind was up for this one which made the tent flap during the 45sec exposure. I also used a dimmer light inside on this attempt.
DSC_3345-109-L.jpg

And this one I had the firepit in the corner....
DSC_3344-108-L.jpg

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited October 28, 2014
    Maybe some adjustment layers to keep the tent the same brightness and bump up the darker areas?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2014
    Don't forget about composition, even on 'trick' shots like this. You've got a lot of wasted space on the left in these, maybe try portrait mode when you have the milky way? Also, try diffusing the light inside the tent more. Lots of things you can play with, stacking consecutive shots to balance the sky and the tent, longer exposures on the tent to bring out a little bit more the landscape once you tone down the light in the tent, etc.

I like the composition in the second the best, adding the fire in could work, if the composition is right, but the third doesn't work for me so much because the elements (milky way, tree, tent, firepit, cutoff shelter) just don't' seem to play well together as is.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 30, 2014
    The easiest thing to do is put something over the light to reduce the output. I've used one of those cheap LED lights before and set a folded t-shirt over it so the light is barely visible.

I agree with JC on composition.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2014
    #2 is my favorite - feeling of being there with midnight stars.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2014
    Thanks for all the input!

These were not "intentional" shot in that I planned on shooting them. Rather, I was just sitting there on the picnic table admiring the stars and thought "hey, i should try to shoot that with the tent in them". My composition thought was the old "rule of thirds" which is quite evident. lol.... Maybe I should break the rules more? :-)

All great tips for next time. THANK YOU!