Genuinely weird problem. ANY help please.

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited August 4, 2015 in Digital Darkroom
So after years of using CS6 on the same computer (Win 7 platform), all of a sudden my Sharpen Tool decided not to work. Every time I bring it up, the brush says "Cannot be used. There is not enough memory (RAM).

Every other tool works, including the adjacent Blur and Sponge tool.

I have hot booted and also dead cold booted the machine. I have used Task Manager to turn off every other application. No dice.

If anyone has any idea of what is going on, I'd love to hear it. I can work around the problem BUT it's a royal pain.

Thanks in advance.
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited August 3, 2015
    How much RAM does your system have? How much is CS6 using? Does Task Manager report any free memory when you get the message?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited August 4, 2015
    Bilsen wrote: »
    So after years of using CS6 on the same computer (Win 7 platform), all of a sudden my Sharpen Tool decided not to work. Every time I bring it up, the brush says "Cannot be used. There is not enough memory (RAM).

Every other tool works, including the adjacent Blur and Sponge tool.

I have hot booted and also dead cold booted the machine. I have used Task Manager to turn off every other application. No dice.

If anyone has any idea of what is going on, I'd love to hear it. I can work around the problem BUT it's a royal pain.

Thanks in advance.

There are three additional possible causes for this error message, assuming that you really do have sufficient RAM installed:
    1) The Photoshop preferences file has become corrupted. As you start Photoshop, hold down Control-ALT-Shift while PS opens. This should open a new dialog with an option to reset the Preferences. Try that option and then close Photoshop after the first open of the reset. (In other words, don't try to do work after the reset. Wait until after a PS restart.) If this was the problem everything should be working properly now.

2) The video card driver has become incompatible with Photoshop. Be sure to manually install the latest video driver from the manufacturer. Automated updates don't always provide the very latest video driver. Additionally, the video driver might have become corrupted, generally due to a system crash or system power interruption. Re-installing the video driver may correct the problem.

3) The Photoshop scratchpad space may have become corrupted on your hard drive. The fastest way to correct this is to choose another drive for the scratchpad space. If the hard drive is becoming full, that can also cause the problem. Adding another hard drive and setting scratchpad to the new drive may correct the issue.

If all of the above fail to correct the problem, uninstall Photoshop, manually delete any remaining files in the previous space allocated to Photoshop, and then re-install Photoshop.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2015
    Thanks guys.

Well after trying 20 things, including a few of the suggestions here, it turns out I should have listened to Occam's Razor.

I went back and reset the brushes, first to a custom set, then back to basic brushes. I have ZERO idea why but this worked but apparently the problem was the brush, not the tool itself.

Go figure.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen