Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    David,
    devbobo wrote:
    Nik,
    what's the javascript that you are using to open it ?
    Maybe I can sort it for you.
    Cheers,
    David

Thanks for the offer!
    I think I will fix it over the weekend, but in case you're bored now:): - just get the script from the website, it's fairly simple, you'll see it.
    Cheers, mate! 1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • BBonesBBones Registered Users Posts: 580 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Constantly getting issues of late trying to upload photos via StarExplorer. It creates the galleries that I asked it to do just fine, but for some reason StarExplorer does not seem to think so so it tries again and again until it fails. This is a real pain for me since I try to upload 15-30 galleries at a time and it leaves me with 3 empty galleries for each one it tried to create and no uploaded photos. If I try to do it again SOMETIMES it will work but not often and I am forced to manually delete each gallery and start over.

I have installed the latest version, had it get all albums and emptied the hash and re-logged in but I am still getting the same off and on issues. More often off then on.
    edited October 13, 2006
    BBones,
    BBones wrote:
    Constantly getting issues of late trying to upload photos via StarExplorer. It creates the galleries that I asked it to do just fine, but for some reason StarExplorer does not seem to think so so it tries again and again until it fails. This is a real pain for me since I try to upload 15-30 galleries at a time and it leaves me with 3 empty galleries for each one it tried to create and no uploaded photos. If I try to do it again SOMETIMES it will work but not often and I am forced to manually delete each gallery and start over.

I have installed the latest version, had it get all albums and emptied the hash and re-logged in but I am still getting the same off and on issues. More often off then on.

Really sorry about this inconvenience.
    It might have something to do with incorrect server responses.
    I had similar exerience recently, but it was spotty to say the least. I'd say - it should come to normal over time.
    Unfortunately, I don't have access to server's code, so at this point all I can do is to suggest to wait or contact smugmug R&D...ne_nau.gif
    edited October 21, 2006
    Star*Explorer: v.155 is here
    Recently ( don't know when, I only found it a couple days ago) smugmug online upload log access URL has been changed (again:-).

I figured I better update S*E before somebody except me notices it, too:-)mwink.gif

Latest version is ready for you on www.starexplorer.com :D
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2006
    IPTC insertion
    Nikolai,

I've searched the thread for this, but couldn't find an answer to this specific question...

I tend to upload my images to Smugmug and then caption them online. I find myself wanting from time to time to re-download my images, but with the caption data embedded in the image's IPTC fields. I know that Smugmug doesn't do this as a function of NOT modifying the original. However, this modified original is exactly what I need. Will S*E do this? Thanks!

-Greg
    edited October 29, 2006
    Greg,
    wellman wrote:
    Nikolai,

I've searched the thread for this, but couldn't find an answer to this specific question...

I tend to upload my images to Smugmug and then caption them online. I find myself wanting from time to time to re-download my images, but with the caption data embedded in the image's IPTC fields. I know that Smugmug doesn't do this as a function of NOT modifying the original. However, this modified original is exactly what I need. Will S*E do this? Thanks!

-Greg

Sorry, this request has certain technical implications that do not allow me to put it into the code right now (translation: too much trouble:-).

You can download both images info and images themselves and then run all kind of reports on them, of course, but the actual file modification - thus far I have been leaving it for the photo editors/managers...ne_nau.gif

However, if you are serious about this - drop me an email and we can discuss a few advanced options...mwink.gif

Thank you for using Star*Explorer!
  • wellmanwellman Registered Users Posts: 961 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Sorry, this request has certain technical implications that do not allow me to put it into the code right now (translation: too much trouble:-).

You can download both images info and images themselves and then run all kind of reports on them, of course, but the actual file modification - thus far I have been leaving it for the photo editors/managers...ne_nau.gif

However, if you are serious about this - drop me an email and we can discuss a few advanced options...mwink.gif

Thank you for using Star*Explorer!

Thanks for the quick response. I'd been looking for an excuse to start playing with REST, so if downloading albums with embedded IPTC data isn't available functionality yet, I'll start fiddling around. I'll let you know how things go, whether I have success or I get way in over my head. mwink.gif
    -Greg
  • fremoyfremoy Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 6, 2006
    Great
    Hi Nikolai

I stumbled across your software when i was trying to find out if Send to Smugmug could pass a proxy.

Your software is great. Esp the SSL option on upload, gets around our companys upload restrictions!! (((-:

Has made uploading etc much much easier, just wish i'd found it sooner..!!

Nice one Nikolai.

Regards

Mark.
    edited November 6, 2006
    Mark,
    fremoy wrote:
    Hi Nikolai

I stumbled across your software when i was trying to find out if Send to Smugmug could pass a proxy.

Your software is great. Esp the SSL option on upload, gets around our companys upload restrictions!! (((-:

Has made uploading etc much much easier, just wish i'd found it sooner..!!

Nice one Nikolai.

Regards

Mark.

Thank you very much for your kind words - and welcome to Dgrin! thumb.gif
    edited November 8, 2006
    Message to John Gould
    John,
    your email address shows permanent failure. I tried it several times from several accounts, it does not work.ne_nau.gif
    Please contact me from a different email address so I can issue the license.deal.gif
    Thanks!
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Upload Sort Order Question
    I use S*E to upload to Smugmug. I use Bridge/ACR/CS2 for preparing my images. I'm working on a large upload (1000 images spread across 15 galleries). I would like to do the upload in a way that causes the images to end up in the galleries sorted by the star rating in Adobe Bridge.

I have verfied that if I manually drag the images into S*E one at a time, S*E will upload them in that order and they will appear in that order in Smugmug (as long as you display in upload order).

But, if I multi-select a bunch of images in Bridge and drag those into S*E, they get reordered by filename in S*E and the Bridge sort order is not preserved. Obviously, it could be that Bridge is losing the sort order in the drag/drop info it passes to S*E or that S*E is resorting them - I can't tell who's changing it.

What would be the easiest way for me to get images from Bridge sorted by rating uploaded into a Smugmug gallery in the same sort order?

I've got nearly 1000 images across 15 galleries so I'm trying to avoid having to manually reorder them again.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited November 8, 2006
    John,
    jfriend wrote:
    I use S*E to upload to Smugmug. I use Bridge/ACR/CS2 for preparing my images. I'm working on a large upload (1000 images spread across 15 galleries). I would like to do the upload in a way that causes the images to end up in the galleries sorted by the star rating in Adobe Bridge.

I have verfied that if I manually drag the images into S*E one at a time, S*E will upload them in that order and they will appear in that order in Smugmug (as long as you display in upload order).

But, if I multi-select a bunch of images in Bridge and drag those into S*E, they get reordered by filename in S*E and the Bridge sort order is not preserved. Obviously, it could be that Bridge is losing the sort order in the drag/drop info it passes to S*E or that S*E is resorting them - I can't tell who's changing it.

What would be the easiest way for me to get images from Bridge sorted by rating uploaded into a Smugmug gallery in the same sort order?

I've got nearly 1000 images across 15 galleries so I'm trying to avoid having to manually reorder them again.

I do hear your pain. At this moment I don't have anything to offer except renaming files or manually adjusting them in SE que (or on SM site afterwards, using wonderful arrange mode). :cry

However: you did it again! Your questions made me realize that I *CAN* apply "bridge" sorting. I simply never looked into this aspect.ne_nau.gif

So, please rest assured, I will add this - rather useful, I agree - feature to one of my nearest releases. deal.gif

Thank you! thumb.gif

Thanks for the inspiration!
    edited November 8, 2006
    I guess I'll rename
    Nikolai wrote:
    I do hear your pain. At this moment I don't have anything to offer except renaming files or manually adjusting them in SE que (or on SM site afterwards, using wonderful arrange mode). :cry

However: you did it again! Your questions made me realize that I *CAN* apply "bridge" sorting. I simply never looked into this aspect.ne_nau.gif

So, please rest assured, I will add this - rather useful, I agree - feature to one of my nearest releases. deal.gif

Thank you! thumb.gif

Thanks for the inspiration!

OK, I guess I'll rename them in Bridge before dropping them into S*E. Is it S*E who's sorting by filename when they're dropped in?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited November 8, 2006
    John,
    jfriend wrote:
    OK, I guess I'll rename them in Bridge before dropping them into S*E. Is it S*E who's sorting by filename when they're dropped in?

No sir, it's Bridge, (or Explorer, if you dragging or sending from windows directly). I do not have any control over the way it keeps its selected items in the memory.

However, as I said, I'll try to make this change to S*E asap, so if you're talking about renaming thousands of files and can wait a week or two - I'd wait:-)

HTH
    edited November 8, 2006
    This weekend
    Nikolai wrote:
    No sir, it's Bridge, (or Explorer, if you dragging or sending from windows directly). I do not have any control over the way it keeps its selected items in the memory.

However, as I said, I'll try to make this change to S*E asap, so if you're talking about renaming thousands of files and can wait a week or two - I'd wait:-)

HTH

I have to do my uploads this weekend. I can make do with the rename thing. I'll have to run a rename in Bridge in 15 different directories, then drop into S*E.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited November 9, 2006
    Star*Explorer: v.156 is here
    Due to the changes to some SM HTML pages structure (and the lack of pertinent API), sales info-related functionality broke.
    It's fixed now though:-) :ivar
    Pro users, rejoice! deal.gif
    edited November 9, 2006
    S*E v 157 is out
    jfriend wrote:
    I have to do my uploads this weekend. I can make do with the rename thing. I'll have to run a rename in Bridge in 15 different directories, then drop into S*E.

Ask and thou shalt recieve!

John (and everybody else:-), get the latest S*E and turn the Bridge sort usage ON (in Options, Conversion tab).
    From now on S*E will take care of it for you :-)

I hope you didn't rename all your files yet:-) mwink.gif
    edited November 9, 2006
    Cool!
    Nikolai wrote:

John (and everybody else:-), get the latest S*E and turn the Bridge sort usage ON (in Options, Conversion tab).

Awesome! That is customer service. I'll give it a try soon. I haven't renamed anything yet.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited November 9, 2006
    Bridge sort problem?
    Nikolai wrote:

Maybe I'm not doing this right. I turn the Bridge sort option on in prefs, I sort by rating in Bridge, Select All in Bridge, then drag/drop those selected images into S*E, I was hoping it would preserve my Bridge sort order in S*E, but when I do it with build 157, S*E still sorts the images by filename order and assigns indexes to them in filename order.

Did I miss something?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited November 9, 2006
    Uhm,
    jfriend wrote:
    Maybe I'm not doing this right. I turn the Bridge sort option on in prefs, I sort by rating in Bridge, Select All in Bridge, then drag/drop those selected images into S*E, I was hoping it would preserve my Bridge sort order in S*E, but when I do it with build 157, S*E still sorts the images by filename order and assigns indexes to them in filename order.

Did I miss something?

No, I simply didn't express myself clearly.headscratch.gif
    There is a "persistent" sorting, then one you get each time when you navigate to a folder. If you arrange your images with the mouse (like SM arrange mode) this order will be persistent. And this is the only info I know how to get access to. ne_nau.gif
    So if you drag your images around in Bridge, it will remember this arrangement. Then S*E would pick up that "arranged" order on the inital add/drop.

HTH
    edited November 9, 2006
    Good news, John
    Nikolai wrote:
    No, I simply didn't express myself clearly.headscratch.gif
    There is a "persistent" sorting, then one you get each time when you navigate to a folder. If you arrange your images with the mouse (like SM arrange mode) this order will be persistent. And this is the only info I know how to get access to. ne_nau.gif
    So if you drag your images around in Bridge, it will remember this arrangement. Then S*E would pick up that "arranged" order on the inital add/drop.

HTH

I played with it and found a way how to do what you want.
    1. prepare your images
    2. sort them the way you want (that sorting mode will be checked)
    3. Drag at least ONE image around (You can return it to its old place immediately after that)
    4. Observe that sorting changed from whatever method you used on step 2 to "Manually".
    5. And guess what - now *this* is your manual order, i.e. the one that S*E would understand:-)
    So all you need to do after sorting is a little manual shuffle - and you're home free:-)

HTH
    edited November 9, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I played with it and found a way how to do what you want.
    1. prepare your images
    2. sort them the way you want (that sorting mode will be checked)
    3. Drag at least ONE image around (You can return it to its old place immediately after that)
    4. Observe that sorting changed from whatever method you used on step 2 to "Manually".
    5. And guess what - now *this* is your manual order, i.e. the one that S*E would understand:-)
    So all you need to do after sorting is a little manual shuffle - and you're home free:-)

HTH

I appreciate you helping me out Nikolai, but Bridge appears to be screwing things up. I sort by Rating. I uncheck ascending order to get the highest rated images first. I drag one image to a slightly different position and this causes it to go to Manual in the menu, but also causes it to go back to ascending order with all the highest rated images last.

I can't seem to get it to go with highest rated images first and a manual sort without manually sorting each one into the preferred order (for 1000 pictures). So, it appears that Bridge won't let me switch to manual sort while keeping highest rated shots first. It looks like a Bridge bug to me, but it's currently blocking me from getting this to work.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited November 9, 2006
    Don't despair :-)
    jfriend wrote:
    I appreciate you helping me out Nikolai, but Bridge appears to be screwing things up. I sort by Rating. I uncheck ascending order to get the highest rated images first. I drag one image to a slightly different position and this causes it to go to Manual in the menu, but also causes it to go back to ascending order with all the highest rated images last.

I can't seem to get it to go with highest rated images first and a manual sort without manually sorting each one into the preferred order (for 1000 pictures). So, it appears that Bridge won't let me switch to manual sort while keeping highest rated shots first. It looks like a Bridge bug to me, but it's currently blocking me from getting this to work.

John,
    I agree, that this is an inconsitent Bridge behaviour, BUT I still think you're OK:-)
    I played with it again and it seems that the thing that screws the things up is that ascending flag. Here is how to overcome it.
    1. Let it be.
    2. Sort by rating (best images are in the end)
    3. Shuffle (your order is made persistent)
    4. Send/drag/add to S*E (same order is accepted)
    5. You will see them in the list in that precisely "wrong" order
    6. Click on Index column once or twice to sort them in reverse
    7. Click "apply order" button (greeen and red piramyd)
    8. Done!deal.gif
    edited November 9, 2006
    It works
    Nikolai wrote:
    John,
    I agree, that this is an inconsitent Bridge behaviour, BUT I still think you're OK:-)
    I played with it again and it seems that the thing that screws the things up is that ascending flag. Here is how to overcome it.
    1. Let it be.
    2. Sort by rating (best images are in the end)
    3. Shuffle (your order is made persistent)
    4. Send/drag/add to S*E (same order is accepted)
    5. You will see them in the list in that precisely "wrong" order
    6. Click on Index column once or twice to sort them in reverse
    7. Click "apply order" button (greeen and red piramyd)
    8. Done!deal.gif

Ahh. That seems to work - cool! Use S*E to reverse the order and avoid Bridge's bug - I get it.

The first time I tried this, S*E hung (completely non-responsive) right after I started the upload before anything had shown in the terminal window. Drag/drop in, reverse the order, apply order, start upload, hung. I killed the process, started over, it restored the queue and started the upload fine.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited November 9, 2006
    John,
    jfriend wrote:
    Ahh. That seems to work - cool! Use S*E to reverse the order and avoid Bridge's bug - I get it.

The first time I tried this, S*E hung (completely non-responsive) right after I started the upload before anything had shown in the terminal window. Drag/drop in, reverse the order, apply order, start upload, hung. I killed the process, started over, it restored the queue and started the upload fine.

Glad it worked out. I'd hate the idea of manually renaming/rearranging thousand images.

Hungups happen. That's why the persistent queue is there to help you:-)mwink.gif

Cheers! 1drink.gif
    edited November 9, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Hungups happen. That's why the persistent queue is there to help you
    The persistent queue was a pleasant surprise. I didn't know it had that functionality. It asked me if I wanted to restore, I said yes and it was right back where I was before. Pretty nice.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited November 9, 2006
    Persistent queue
    jfriend wrote:
    The persistent queue was a pleasant surprise. I didn't know it had that functionality. It asked me if I wanted to restore, I said yes and it was right back where I was before. Pretty nice.

It's been done a while ago, sometime in summer methinks...:D
    edited November 9, 2006
    Star*Explorer: v.158 is here
    It turned out the changes to the sales info HTML was deeper than I originally thought and my parser was still confused.
    Fixed. :D
  • J-MacJ-Mac Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2006
    Hi Nikolai.

No problems, no issues...

Just browsing through the forum and thought I would drop by to say thanks.

I am sure that I use Star Explorer much less frequently and intensively than most here. But when I do it never fails to cross my mind what a blessing it truly is! :ivar

Saves me a lot of time and effort. Thanks again, Nik.
    J-Mac
    edited November 14, 2006
    Hey, I like it:-)
    J-Mac wrote:
    Hi Nikolai.

No problems, no issues...

Just browsing through the forum and thought I would drop by to say thanks.

I am sure that I use Star Explorer much less frequently and intensively than most here. But when I do it never fails to cross my mind what a blessing it truly is! :ivar

Saves me a lot of time and effort. Thanks again, Nik.

Great to hear something like this sometimes :-) clap.gif
    Thank you for using Star*Explorer! thumb.gif
    And I have something to say back - check the next post:-)