Social Protest, Wash. D.C.

NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited December 14, 2008 in People
Hi Folks:

Some shots I took this past Summer while in D.C. I like work that centers on social activism, protest, etc. So I went to Lafayette Park and added a few more of those. Anyway, part of documentary work I like to do on social protest, activism, democratic participatory culture, etc.

aghast.jpg

russia.jpg

cardboard.jpg

zion.jpg

impeach.jpg

cart.jpg

harlot.jpg

bush.jpg

concepcion.jpg

arrest.jpg

cheney.jpg

Whether you agree with their politics or not, their intensity and commitment can be quite astounding. Concepcion (the lady with the headgear) has been protesting on that side of Lafayette Park since 1981. I first met her in 1982 if I recall correctly (the year I arrived to the D.C. Metro area).

Best,

Nacho
Exposure Latitude(s).com
"The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 13, 2008
    Neat series, Nacho. Some fairly creative people there, but I was stuck by how thin the crowds were. I assume these were just individual activists, not organized protests, right? I couldn't figure out the message in #6, though it certainly was an interesting contraption. Well done. thumb.gif
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2008
    Thanks Richard, I appreciate the kind words. It really was individual folks, I should re-title it. I tend to shoot social protest and civic activism stuff and sometimes just label it all social protest. #6 was a strange contraption. He arrived, set up, did not say a word to anybody, and no clear message emerged. His cart had all sorts of messages, some with a kind of Biblical resonance (as visible here), but it seemed to me that he was directing himself quite broadly rather than just to the President.

Thanks again!

Nacho
    Richard wrote:
    Neat series, Nacho. Some fairly creative people there, but I was stuck by how thin the crowds were. I assume these were just individual activists, not organized protests, right? I couldn't figure out the message in #6, though it certainly was an interesting contraption. Well done. thumb.gif
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
  • alexkhoo82alexkhoo82 Banned Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Nice works here~ In fact I did not have the chance to shoot any protest at all~

Thansk for sharing~ Very interesting~ clap.gif