Options

>> Results >> EXERCISE: Make Every Shot Count

2»

Comments

• Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    When the photo opportunity for this presented itself, I found it hard not to set the camera to "machine gun" speed and snap away in the hopes of some keepers. Since then, I've found myself pausing to consider whether this is really a shot worth taking, not only on the street but with any photography.
    I thank you for this exercise Richard. It was very worthwhile and I hope it stays with me from here on.

I too hope more members post their results from and take on this exercise.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2010
    rainbow, I like the composition in #1. More contrast would be nice. In #2, I like the body language of the man but find he's lost in it. Would a tighter crop of him with the mannequin be better? Might be worth a try if you haven't already given that a go.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2010
    Dee, I think it's great that, despite not having any opportunities for this type of photography, you wanted to participate. Your photos are lovely, especially the light on your puppy. :D

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited April 5, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    Dee, I think it's great that, despite not having any opportunities for this type of photography, you wanted to participate. Your photos are lovely, especially the light on your puppy. :D

15524779-Ti.gif The lesson here is not just for street shooting.

And it must be nice to live in a place where there aren't many streets. :D
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2010
    Richard wrote:
    Post your two best shots here, along with any observations about the experience.

Cheers,

It wasn't a photographically profound day, but then not every day is. Besides, after seeing Patti's first Amish shot I put my cameras up on Ebay. rolleyes1.gif

828541979_SoeKk-X2.jpg

828538062_KRqyC-X2.jpg
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2010
    bdcolen wrote:
    It wasn't a photographically profound day, but then not every day is. Besides, after seeing Patti's first Amish shot I put my cameras up on Ebay. rolleyes1.gif

Best laugh I've had so far this week. Anyone else got a funny to share? mwink.gif

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    DeeCajun wrote:
    I know I am out of my humble league here but I wanted to participate. I may not be in the guidelines but thats ok, I live on a quiet lake so people are hard to come by this time of year ... (not complaining)

1) The lake I live on is dangerously low, I wanted to capture that by shooting from an area that should be underwater. I was on my belly and crawled around at dusk, this was the best one.

2). While having coffee and contemplating going out for the shoot, my pup crawled up on my recliner and got in a direct line of sunlight, I struggle with indoor lighting and loved that she was in her own spotlight. She kept waking up so it took forever, but worth it, I loved working with the light and perspective, not sure if it worked but it was fun. Sometimes the best photo ops are right under our noses, I shot 10 of her and this was the best one.

Thanks for this exercise.. the restraint was tough!

Very nice use of both light and low angle of view in both. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    Best laugh I've had so far this week. Anyone else got a funny to share? mwink.gif

Well Yeah, I bought his camera and haven't been able to capture a dang thng :wow
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2010
    bfjr wrote:
    Well Yeah, I bought his camera and haven't been able to capture a dang thng :wow

Did you had the same issue cooking with Martha Stewart's pots and pans?rolleyes1.gif

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    rainbow, I like the composition in #1. More contrast would be nice. In #2, I like the body language of the man but find he's lost in it. Would a tighter crop of him with the mannequin be better? Might be worth a try if you haven't already given that a go.

Thanks for looking and for the thoughtful comments.

In #1, both you and Richard commented on whether increasing contrast might be better. My taste seem to run toward less contrast than most. BUT my blacks appear black and the whites look white. I really try not to blow out any highlights as my preference.

In #2, it was between the crop you suggested. I decided on the final one because I thought the lights added another element to the photo because he had such the feel of being in a silent motion picture.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    Patti wrote:
    Did you had the same issue cooking with Martha Stewart's pots and pans?rolleyes1.gif

OH now ya tell me rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    purestbluepurestblue Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 10, 2010
    I've registered with Digital Grin just so that I can reply to this post. Your image number 2 is absolutely wonderful, I love it, a truly brilliant shot. It couldn't have been staged with that expression on the child's face.

I agree that the child to the left is a little distracting, but I think you could improve your alternate crop by not cropping the vertical in addition to removing the stray child. The image would become more square - actually (I've just played with it in The Gimp) I find that I quite like it cropped square, retaining the full height, but cropping the stray child, and the fence post to the right, this removes any distraction from the boys face.

I'd love a print of this on my wall.